• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Free Agency Talk

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What free agent quarterbacks have the potential to wind up in L.A.?
Me%20San%20Jose.jpg
Josh Webb
Yesterday at 7:04 PM / Originally published onLA Rams Report

As the Los Angeles Rams gear up for the 2016 season, their primary focus should be finding a viable quarterback on the free agent market or through the NFL Draft. Our Josh Webb joins the Scout Now studios to discuss the Rams' options.

The Los Angeles Rams are in need of a quarterback. That might be the understatement of the century for Rams fans, but that's where things sit in 2016. Once the Greatest Show on Turf, the Rams have been reduced to the Weakened Weekened Webseries. Now the Rams organization is looking at a new stadium, new city, and new media environment.

It might be fair to say that the Rams have been in Los Angeles before and they're going to be used to it, but a lot has changed since 1994 and the round-the-clock coverage of the NFL teams in major markets has changed the dynamic of what's expected from ownership and management. Head coach Jeff Fisher has already been with the Rams for a healthy amount of time, veteran Los Angeles press will waste little time demanding answers from him about the Rams' minimalistic offensive outputs. There will be added pressure for him to expand his repertoire or it won't be long before the media is suggesting he is past his time and era as a head coach.

Given the fact that he's approaching a decade without a winning season, there may be some relevance to that statement, but Fisher knows the area, has dealt with the Los Angeles media before, and will be given the chance to get things turned around in 2016. His biggest test will how he handles the dwindling production from Rams QBs, either through the Draft or the market.

Should the Rams go the free agent route, Robert Griffin III, Kirk Cousins, Johnny Manziel, and Peyton Manning (likely) should all be available should the organization wish to try and negotiate. There will likely be stumbling blocks with Manning and Cousins -- will Manning want to keep playing and will Cousins look to sign a one-year franchise offer from Washington -- but Manziel and RGIII should be up for grabs, though both would have to be considered projects for different reasons.

If the Rams opt to go through the Draft to find their next leader, there will be several enticing options likely still available at No. 15 spot, unless the Rams decide to trade up for Cal's Jared Goff. It's hard to see Fisher parting with quality picks or players for a quarterback, but stranger things have happened. The most common name tossed around is Paxton Lynch out of Memphis, but the NFL Combine always seems to reorder what we "know" and there are a couple names on the list who could end up bumping Lynch much further down the list.

Ohio State's Cardale Jones and Alabama's Jacob Coker both represent huge-armed, big-framed quarterbacks cabpe of delivering NFL throws. Both guys have limited tape, question marks on the film they do have, and could end up being busts, but they could also both end up being the future of an NFL team. Stanford's Kevin Hogan is another name that could see some Draft board movement based on the Combine and Pro Day.

Hogan is a bit smaller than Jones and Coker, but he did more winning in an NFL-ready scheme than any quarterback on the list and he's proven he has the hunger to succeed. He doesn't have the sexy name appeal of some other names on the list, but Combine meeting rooms should give him a chance to shine on the meeting side of things. He's also greatly improved as a player.

Whatever the Rams do, it's clear that the franchise will have to get things right under center if they are going to have any hope of winning a defense-heavy NFC West. Carson Palmer has seen a career renaissance with the Cardinals and Russell Wilson isn't hurting for success in Seattle. Depending on what happens up north with Chip Kelly and the Santa Clara 49ers, the Rams may be looking up at a stiff climb to success.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the Rams don't go crazy and do something stupid like trading up for Goff. I have always stated to stick with the picks they have and take BPA and wait on Mannion or another more viable FA in the years to come. I am fearing that the Rams are going to do a Tavon Austin move and regret it for the next ten years realizing Goff is not going to pan out and missing the players they could have selected-AGAIN!

Last edited:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Givens is now available because the Ravens are not going to re-sign him. Do we want him back at a reduced price?

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the Rams don't go crazy and do something stupid like trading up for Goff. I have always stated to stick with the picks they have and take BPA and wait on Mannion or another more viable FA in the years to come. I am fearing that the Rams are going to do a Tavon Austin move and regret it for the next ten years realizing Goff is going to pan out and missing the players they could have selected-AGAIN!

I hope they don't do that either.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have we signed any of our FA yet?? What the hell!

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Goff personally. I doubt the Browns consider trading out and missing on him.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no thanks to Givens. he hasn't done anything since his rookie year. we already have enough problems at WR, why add another?

if he was cheap, I wouldn't mind the Rams picking up RG3 and seeing if he can turn it around. he can't be any worse than the options the Rams will have in the draft this year and won't cost them a pick.

that would give the Rams an extra pick to be used in another area of need. I am not impressed with this years QB's, so I would rather they take a gamble on RG3 ( who has had success in the NFL ) vs drafting one of this years QB's.

also, if they don't target a QB in the 1st ( which I hope they don't ) and as expected Treadwell is gone, I hope they trade down and pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Red, this is how I picture you watching Rams games, except the red star would be the Rams logo and of course with red hair!

LOL its been a lot more of emotions like these guys XD

florida-fan-is-pissed-off.gif

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have we signed any of our FA yet?? What the hell!

Pretty sure teams can't negotiate right now.

There are reports that th cap could jump up to $155 million. That would give us the flexibility to re-sign the FA's we need and possibly make a splash in the market.

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big jump in salary cap would come at good time for Rams
5:55 PM ET
  • wagoner_nick_m.jpg
    Nick WagonerESPN Staff Writer
EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The NFL hasn't officially announced what the 2016 NFL salary cap will look like, but there have been reports during the past couple of weeks that it will ultimately land in the range of $155 million per team.

That would represent an increase of about $12 million over the 2015 season's $143 million cap. The exact figure won't be revealed until a few days before the start of the new league year on March 9, but it's fair to assume that such a leap is reasonable, considering the continued rise of league revenue.

If the $155 million figure (or close to it) proves accurate, it would be good news for every NFL team, including the Los Angeles Rams. In fact, it would help the Rams in multiple ways entering an offseason with a lot of difficult decisions on the docket.

Keep in mind that the Rams could carry over some cap space from last year to have even more room, so as it stands before they make any roster moves, this team could have more than $40 million to spend.

Here's a look at four ways the rising cap could benefit the Rams this year:

1. Re-signing their own players -- Obviously. The Rams have about a dozen players set to become unrestricted free agents, including key pieces such as cornerbacks Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson, safeties Rodney McLeod and Mark Barron and ends William Hayes and Eugene Sims, among others. It also allows them a little more flexibility with restricted free agents they definitely want to keep, such as quarterback Case Keenum. In most offseasons, that would mean coming to grips with the fact that some of those free agents will not return. But the Rams should have enough money to keep the majority of the players they want, as long as they're willing to pay the freight. They could even use the franchise or transition tags if they want. The downside of the cap jump, though, is that every team gets the same money, so they can come with big money to drive up prices on the Rams, too.

Cortland Finnegan, tackle Jake Long and center Scott Wells are among the names they've let go to carve out more cap space. The Rams will likely make a move or two before free agency, but those would be as much a result of cutting ties with players who aren't worth the price tag, as it would be just trying to create more cap space. The flip side of that is if there are players whom they aren't sure about keeping or letting go -- players such as receiver Kenny Britt and linebacker Akeem Ayers come to mind -- they could be easier to keep because of the additional cap space.

3. Taking a hit -- There isn't a team in the league that enjoys letting players go and adding dead money to their salary cap. It's also a reality of the league that you're eventually going to have to have money count against your cap for players that aren't on your team. While it's never ideal, it's a lot more palatable when you have a salary cap reaching a record high and a lot of room to spend already. The Rams are going to be looking for quarterbacks this offseason and if they find one, it means they have to delete one. Because keeping Keenum is a priority and Sean Mannion is only entering his second season, that makes Nick Foles the most likely candidate. If the Rams choose to go that way, they would have to eat quite a bit of salary unless they can trade him. It would be a bitter pill to swallow after trading for and signing him last year, but it's a little easier to take with the extra space available.

4. Planning for the future -- The Rams have spent the past four years building the team, mostly through the draft, and they've finally hit on some players worth keeping around for a second contract. That's the good news. The bad news is that many of those players are going to be coming up on free agency soon and the Rams are going to have to pay dearly to keep them. Defensive tackle Michael Brockers is under team control via the fifth-year option, but will need an extension sooner than later and the Rams could theoretically get a big chunk of any guaranteed money out of the way in 2016 by getting something done sooner rather than later. Others, such as Tavon Austinand Alec Ogletree, are heading into the final year of their rookie contracts and the Rams will have to make decisions on their fifth-year options this summer as well.

Attachments

• nfl.png
    nfl.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 39

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was reading that cutting Long, Saffold and Cook saves us close to $20,000,000 next year. Resign, Hayes, Sims, Barron, Johnson, McLeod, Harkes and a few special teams guys like Bates. Decent money to upgrade a few spots on offense.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt Long will be cut outright; more likely he takes a paycut.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm amazed that the Rams always find themselves having little wiggle room with the cap considering how bad the team is.

they always manage to waste their money on the wrong guys that just kill their cap for years ( Jake Long, extending Foles before he even played a snap, Cook, Saffold, etc ).

when you can only draft well on one side of the ball and chase bad FA's to try and fix the other side, this is the result.

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before the season started Jenkins he would test free agency, today on Instragram he posts, "see you in LA".

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. A smallish QB/WR (6-0, 194lbs) out of Northwestern off the Vikings or Texans PS (can't remember which one). That is it.

I was really just referring to re-signing our own guys that are FA. Kinda scary.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was reading that cutting Long, Saffold and Cook saves us close to $20,000,000 next year. Resign, Hayes, Sims, Barron, Johnson, McLeod, Harkes and a few special teams guys like Bates. Decent money to upgrade a few spots on offense.

Don't forget JL55. I'd rather roll the dice with Saffold and draft a ILB

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget JL55. I'd rather roll the dice with Saffold and draft a ILB

Rams at least have some in-house depth at OG with last year's rookies (and the possibility of shifting GRob inside). There is NO depth at ILB really, just glorified special teamers (Bates, Hager) or the possibility of moving a chase-down OLB in Tree, who I think would be wasted inside.

Matakevich reminds me of Zach Thomas, I guy I hated to see the Bills play against. He could be just the guy to take over for JLau.