• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Free Agency Talk

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before the season started Jenkins he would test free agency, today on Instragram he posts, "see you in LA".
I wonder how much it would cost to resign him? I would be surprised if we were able to sign both Jenkins and Johnson. At least Gaines is back next year.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rams at least have some in-house depth at OG with last year's rookies (and the possibility of shifting GRob inside). There is NO depth at ILB really, just glorified special teamers (Bates, Hager) or the possibility of moving a chase-down OLB in Tree, who I think would be wasted inside.

Matakevich reminds me of Zach Thomas, I guy I hated to see the Bills play against. He could be just the guy to take over for JLau.

I totally agree shopson.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2016 NFL Free Agency: Los Angeles Rams' Secondary Members Address FA Status On Instagram
By 3k@3k_ on Feb 19, 2016, 1:21p 49

Janoris_Jenkins_IG_2_19Feb2016.0.0.JPG

Time to do it for the 'gram.

 TWEET SHARE (72) PIN
Ah, Instagram. A world of intrigue and mystery.

At least it has been recently regarding the Los Angeles Rams and the three members of their secondary with expiring contracts: CB Janoris Jenkins, CB Trumaine Johnsonand FS Rodney McLeod.

With the status of all three up in the air combined with the Rams having yet to use their franchise tag on anyone, there's no certainty involved regarding their 2016 statuses.

We got the first inkling of some traction on IG from Janoris yesterday (screengrabbed since his IG account is private and you can't embed private IG posts):

Janoris_Jenkins_IG_1_19Feb2016.0.JPG

What "further notice" he was referring to, we'll have to see.

Today though, another Janoris IG post seemed to kick things off between the trio:

Janoris_Jenkins_IG_2_19Feb2016.0.JPG

For those of you who don't stay up on your rap game, Migos is a trio out of Atlanta known for their close-knit relationship (they're all related anyway, but yeah). The idea here being that JJ, Tru and Rod aren't going to be broken up.

That sentiment was followed by a post from Tru:

And from McLeod:

What to read into it? That's what the internet's for. Have at it.

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's resign that trio, Barron and Hayes

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They probably won't but if the Rams do cut Kenny Britt, he will cost nothing against the cap as opposed to 5 million salary.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they cut Saffold whose body is done we will get even more savings to re-sign these guys.

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL Nation
Rams cleared cap space in order to keep their own
mg=%2Fmedia%2Fmotion%2F2016%2F0219%2Fdm_160219_Rams_cuts_NFL_Live%2Fdm_160219_Rams_cuts_NFL_Live.jpgplay
  • wagoner_nick_m.jpg
    Nick WagonerESPN Staff Writer
EARTH CITY, Mo. -- For the Los Angeles Rams to keep many of their key pieces, they had to let three go.

Ultimately, that's what Friday's release of veteran leaders Chris Long, James Laurinaitis and Jared Cook boiled down to. It wasn't easy to say goodbye to the locker room staples, especially Long and Laurinaitis. That much was evident in coach Jeff Fisher's lengthy statement about the moves. It also wasn't a surprise.

Simply put, Long, Laurinaitis and Cook made too much money relative to their production, and the Rams have younger, ascending players that they can't afford to lose.

Such is the cycle in the NFL. It wasn't so long ago that Long and Laurinaitis were those young, ascending players the Rams signed to lucrative long-term contracts. Long signed a four-year extension worth $48.2 million and Laurinaitis inked a five-year, $41.5 million deal just before the 2012 season. In the time since, Long and Laurinaitis became the team's longest-tenured players. They won over teammates and coaches with their leadership skills and professional approach, and fans with their personalities.

"I'm just disappointed we didn't accomplish more," Laurinaitis said. "I thought we'd be a playoff contending team by now, especially since [Fisher] came over. I really thought after that first year, I thought that next year might be it. I was really hoping on getting over that hump and being able to be a part of the turnaround. That's probably the most disappointing thing.

"I love that group of guys that's in the locker room. I'm going to miss those guys. Knowing that Chris got released today as well and there's [only a few] guys that were there before Fish now, so I'm going to miss the guys in the locker room. I had relationships with a bunch of them and friendships. It's just really one of those moments where you're like, 'Man, it's going to stink not playing with those guys again.' "

Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson as well as safety Rodney McLeod and safety/linebacker Mark Barron. The Rams have invested four years in the first three and found a fit for Barron when he filled in for an injured Alec Ogletree for most of the 2015 season.

The Rams would like to retain all four of those players, and though they already had their share of money to spend, they now have enough flexibility to make deals with all of them without having to wonder where they'd fit under the cap. Of course, that doesn't mean such deals are imminent. Yes, the Rams are well-positioned to strike a deal with that secondary quartet, but it would be unusual for players to re-sign this close to the start of free agency.

That doesn't mean the Rams won't try. Next week's scouting combine will yield meetings with the representatives for all four of those players and talks probably will gain more traction then. Those talks could lead to deals early in the "legal tampering" window, which starts on March 7. Being only a couple of weeks from the new league year, it probably would take an offer too good to pass up to keep a player from at least exploring what the market could bring.

The additional cap space also should give the Rams a chance to lock up other important pieces such as ends William Hayes and Eugene Sims. It also could mean progress can be made on a long-term deal for defensive tackle Michael Brockers, who is under team control for 2016 but still could be in line for an extension.

As for replacing the trio of Long, Cook and Laurinaitis, the Rams believe they have in-house options in place. One likely scenario would see Ogletree moving to middle linebacker with Barron taking over at weak side linebacker should he re-sign. Hayes also could step into the starting role he filled for Long, again assuming the team is able to retain him. And while the Rams signed Lance Kendricks to a long-term contract last offseason, they will be in the market for another tight end this offseason.

Long, Cook and Laurinaitis, meanwhile, can begin seeking other opportunities, perhaps even one that will result in a chance to win a championship. Days like Friday aren't much fun for players, teams or fans. But as the NFL constantly reminds us, they're always going to be necessary.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SPN Rams reporter Nick Wagoner does not expect the team to re-sign impending free agent DT Nick Fairley.

Fairley recorded just half a sack in his first year with the Rams, but he was consistently disruptive and earned a solid grade against the run from Pro Football Focus. The Rams have several important pieces on defense including both starting corners headed to free agency, and DT Michael Brockers is entering the final year of his deal. With Los Angeles focused on other players, Wagoner believes Fairley will get a better offer somewhere else.

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trumaine Johnson: Latest News, Rumors, Speculation on Free-Agent CB
By Mike Norris, Featured Columnist

hi-res-89d8c4ee6951b04150dd02a52f357b45_crop_north.jpg

Steve Dykes/Getty Images

The Los Angeles Rams are considering placing the transition tag on cornerback Trumaine Johnson, which would allow them to retain his unrestricted free-agent rights.

Rams Will Need to Open Wallet to Bring Back Johnson
Saturday, Feb. 20
Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported the news that would mean the Rams can match any offer a tagged player may receive from another team, thus keeping him on the roster if they choose. Thomas did say the tag would only come if the two sides cannot agree on a long-term contract.

It could serve the Rams well to keep Johnson in town considering he had seven interceptions last season—just one off the NFL lead—and now has 15 in his four-year career. He also had 17 passes defended. Pete Prisco of CBSSports.com apparently is fond of Johnson's game:

He is one of the best young corners in the game, as noted by this stat Evan Silva of Rotoworld tweeted:

The Rams have freed up $23 million this week by cutting veterans James Laurinaitis, Chris Long and Jared Cook, per Ian Rapoport of NFL Network. They are going to need as much as possible considering Johnson is going to demand much more than the $1.5 million he made in 2015.

According to Michael David Smith of Pro Football Talk, the average transition tag salary for cornerbacks in 2016 will be around $11.7 million, although that's $2 million cheaper than the average franchise tag.

Jermaine133

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Tree needs to stay in his natural position....don't agree with moving and OLB to the inside.. Draft an upgrade or sign a FA.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dwayne Allen would be huge. I'd love this move.

Janoris no thanks.. Tru Johnson yes please.

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:, I would just as soon draft another than bring Jenkins back. There is a big CB available at 15. Resign Johnson, or franchise him, whatever.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jenkins seems pretty confident that he'll be back.

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the trio don't want to break up, you got to think that puts the Rams at an advantage.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the trio don't want to break up, you got to think that puts the Rams at an advantage.

well, as we all know, what players say and what they do are two completely different things.

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LA RAMS MUST ADD TARGETS THROUGH FREE AGENCY
MICHAEL RENNER12 HOURS AGO

There is an obvious glaring need for the Los Angeles Rams heading into 2016, and it’s every position on offense outside of running back. There are a few holes on the defensive side of the ball, but they have to do better than their 17.5 points per game in 2015 to have any chance of making the playoffs. The Rams have already started their housecleaning process in preparation for free agency by releasing Chris Long, James Laurinaitis, and Jared Cook. That leaves them with a projected $58 million in cap space to work with, one of the highest figures in the league.

Re-sign
CB Trumaine Johnson and/or CB Janoris Jenkins

I say and/or here because resigning two young starting cornerbacks coming off of career years could start getting pricey, but cornerback is quickly becoming one of the most premium positions in the NFL. If I had to choose between the two, I’d likely go with Johnson for the consistency over his career, but with his length (6-foot-2-inches) and seven interceptions a year ago, he may be the higher priced of the two.

FS Rodney McLeod

McLeod is another piece that needs to be retained from their solid secondary. The former undrafted free agent has developed into one of the better coverage safeties over the last two seasons, and finished 2015 as our 10th-highest graded safety overall.

DE William Hayes

This one is a no-brainer. With Chris Long out of the picture and Eugene Sims also a free agent, Hayes will be in line for a large snap increase if he returns. The 31-year-old has always excelled in a backup role for the Rams, but took it to the next level this year with an increase in snaps, and was our 11th-highest graded edge defender. Coming on so strong late in his career, Hayes likely won’t have a huge market beating down his door, similar to Jason Hatcher a couple years back.

WR Brian Quick

There was a time at the beginning of the 2014 season when it looked like Quick might turn into the No. 1 receiver that the Rams so desperately need. After injury cut short his season that year, the former second-round pick never quite recaptured that form in 2015, hauling in only 10 of his 32 targets on the season. They’ll be very little market for Quick in free agency, so it’s worth bringing back a guy who they’ve spent four years developing already.

Let walk
C Tim Barnes

The former undrafted free agent was our 24th-ranked center last year in his first full season as a starter. With so much invested along the offensive line from the 2015 draft, it’s worth looking there for a starting center in 2016.

DT Nick Fairley

Fairley is a great fit for the Rams’ scheme and put up a fantastic season with the team last year, but someone else is going to pay him like a starter. Fairley’s build isn’t suited for the nose, and with Aaron Donald already manning the three-tech position better than anyone else in the NFL, Los Angeles would be silly to pay big money to a backup.

S/LB Mark Barron

Quality safety/linebacker hybrids are an invaluable weapon in modern defenses, and the Rams would love to have Barron back, but the question then becomes, for what price? He may be a man without a defined role, with Alec Ogletree returning and his top-10 pedigree likely pushing the price too high.

Target
WR Alshon Jeffery

Jeffery could be the true No. 1 receiver that the Rams haven’t had since Torry Holt. He won’t be cheap, as he’s the only receiver that matches said description in free agency, but Los Angeles is desperate.

LT Kelvin Beachum

Beachum is only two seasons in, but it’s time to seriously reconsider Greg Robinson’s role as the starting left tackle. Robinson has been among the lowest-graded left tackles in each of his first two seasons, and he has a myriad of issues that can’t just be fixed overnight. Beachum would be on the complete opposite end of the spectrum in pass protection, and provide some stability on the edge.

TE Ladarius Green

The Rams simply need as many weapons as they can get on offense. Green has been stuck as a backup to Antonio Gates his entire career, but even in limited snaps, he’s always graded out extremely well as a receiver. His 79.1 receiving grade in 2015 trumps Jared Cook’s 47.7 grade by some margin.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems odd that the writer says to let Barnes go, but then doesn't have center as a target in free agency. Alex Mack is reportedly going to opt out, so he could be an option, if expensive. If the Rams are targeting a center in the draft instead, they should keep the cheap Barnes as a veteran backup IMO.

I think I would prefer Duane Allen to Ladarius Green personally.

Jeffery would be great if a near-impossible get, but I wouldn't mind Marvin Jones, Rishard Matthews, or even Kamar Aiken (RFA) instead of keeping Britt (too expensive for his production level).

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with most here.

if it's a choice between Jenkins or Johnson, I prefer Johnson. I think Gaines can fill Jenkins role moreso than Johnson's ( assuming he's back to his level of play prior to the injury of course ).

Mack, if he does leave Cleveland, will be the highest paid C in the league. that's just too rich for the Rams to take on. If they were going to throw huge jack at someone, I'd rather it be Jeffries.