• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Free Agency Talk

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, many of those FAs like Folkerts are not playing anywhere else and will take whatever the Rams offer. Cunningham is probably going to bolt. I don't see him wanting to be used sparingly behind Gurley. We will be drafting a RB in the draft and Malcolm Brown is going to see serious playing time this year.
Well we put that low tier tender on him yesterday in anticipation of losing him to another team so at least we will get some compensation if he bolts.

Hey, does anyone understand the cost to a team or the limits of assigning any level of tender?

I mean there has to be governing parameters, or else you would just put some level of tenders on all your free agents.

Just an area of Free Agency I'm in the dark on.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That makes two of us Vita. I have been trying understand the tiering of tendered offers and how that affects the assignment of compensatory picks but there is little data out there. More of this closed-lipped approach the NFL has taken for some power grab of course. If Cunningham goes, and I suspect he will, we may end up with an activated fifth rounder this year. To be determined at the end of the month of course.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is how SBNation sees the Rams to date. It is sort of a stupid article because they include the FAs who have already left on the 53-man roster and then mention in the explanation paragraphs that they left. Kind of stupid writing style if you ask me. The article does give a decent appraisal of the roster as it stands right now.

2016 NFL Free Agency: Looking At The Rams' 2015 53-Man Roster After Day 1 Of FA

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell Okung LT Seattle is still out there and the longer he's on the block, the more it looks like Seattle will not re-sign him

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okung is more of a zone blocking LT from what I've read and will miss the next 5 months.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, we don't need to rush out and sign a LT FA. Does anyone remember the disaster known as Jake Long. WE have in-house personnel that can fill the holes if they move GRob inside. If not, Wichmann or Brown will move into LG and we will in all likelihood draft a center in the second or third round.

Last edited:

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okungs got to be older than dirt!

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Retro, I believe the tender is not part of the compensatory pick formula rather in itself a different aspect of free agency.

Much like the first round tender on Case, if another team agrees to terms with him than they must give the Rams their first round pick in what I would believe would be in this years draft.

I did find this on the subject.

Restricted free agents can be held in place through the application of one of three tenders. The lowest level provides a right or first refusal. The second-round tender provides a right of first refusal and (duh) a second-round pick as compensation if the original team doesn’t match. The first-round tender carries a right of first refusal and a first-round pick as compensation.
Apparently, the tender levels only apply to RFA's. For UFA's, if a team so elects to tag a player, the team must use one of their three levels of franchise tags.

Exclusive Franchise Tag- This tag completely blocks a player from signing with another NFL team. It will be equal to the average of the top 5 salaries at the players position for the year or 120% of the players' prior year salary. This number will be calculated at the end of the Restricted Free Agency period.

Non-Exclusive Franchise Tag- This is the most common tag that is applied in the NFL. The value is determined using five prior years of data to determine the percentage of the salary cap that a top 5 player at the position should occupy. This player can still negotiate with other teams but if they sign with another team the team that applied the tag has the option to match the contract or accept two first round draft picks as compensation.

Transition Tag- The Transition tag is calculated by using the top 10 salaries rather than top 5 salaries, which leads to a slightly lower cost than the Franchise tag. The player is again free to negotiate with other teams but his original team holds the right of first refusal on a contract. Because the difference in cost is minimal between this tag and the franchise tag this tag is rarely used.

A team may only use one tag in a given year, meaning they can not designate both a Franchise and Transition player. In each case the salary is fully guaranteed once the player opts to sign the contract.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea you are right Vita and I did see much of your post above but somehow, I believe there is evidence it plays into the mysterious NFL formula for determining compensatory picks. Haven't found any evidence yet to substantiate that belief. I just think it is part of the mix but I could be wrong.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Retro, I believe the tender is not part of the compensatory pick formula rather in itself a different aspect of free agency.

Much like the first round tender on Case, if another team agrees to terms with him than they must give the Rams their first round pick in what I would believe would be in this years draft.

I did find this on the subject.

Restricted free agents can be held in place through the application of one of three tenders. The lowest level provides a right or first refusal. The second-round tender provides a right of first refusal and (duh) a second-round pick as compensation if the original team doesn’t match. The first-round tender carries a right of first refusal and a first-round pick as compensation.
Apparently, the tender levels only apply to RFA's. For UFA's, if a team so elects to tag a player, the team must use one of their three levels of franchise tags.

Exclusive Franchise Tag- This tag completely blocks a player from signing with another NFL team. It will be equal to the average of the top 5 salaries at the players position for the year or 120% of the players' prior year salary. This number will be calculated at the end of the Restricted Free Agency period.

Non-Exclusive Franchise Tag- This is the most common tag that is applied in the NFL. The value is determined using five prior years of data to determine the percentage of the salary cap that a top 5 player at the position should occupy. This player can still negotiate with other teams but if they sign with another team the team that applied the tag has the option to match the contract or accept two first round draft picks as compensation.

Transition Tag- The Transition tag is calculated by using the top 10 salaries rather than top 5 salaries, which leads to a slightly lower cost than the Franchise tag. The player is again free to negotiate with other teams but his original team holds the right of first refusal on a contract. Because the difference in cost is minimal between this tag and the franchise tag this tag is rarely used.

A team may only use one tag in a given year, meaning they can not designate both a Franchise and Transition player. In each case the salary is fully guaranteed once the player opts to sign the contract.

Compensation for the players we lose will be next year though right? 17 draft.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is ready for another 5-11, 6-10 or 7-9 season? SMH!

I'm not ready for it but I'm sure one is coming.

I just hope if we do have to suffer through another record like that it's because they started playing Mannion and letting him develop.

if we have to suffer through another one of those records next season and all Fisher trots out are Keenum or Foles, I will be irate.

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 and 12 and we still keep Fischer is my bet

Jermaine133

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i can't fathom another losing season....