• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 COWBOY Defense Is, What We Thought It Would Be

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who knows what they are planning. It starts with who they bring back and how much they restructure. If you restructure all of T Smith, Dez and Frederick to the max and do something post 6/1 with Romo they have room in 2017 I'm sure to sign someone. But all that has done is move 2017 money into outer years. The Romo contract has been a horrible cap albatross for a while now. But they were dumb with how they handled the last one and ended up with little choice. Think about the fact that Romo who isn't even a starter has the biggest 2017 cap hit of any QB (if what I read on general board is correct). Insane. I wonder what the original cap hit was versus what it is now.

Deferred money usually just creates deferred problem but who knows

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been a COWBOY fan longer than you have.
Darren Woodson, Charlie Waters , Cliff Harris, James Washington, individually wouldn't help this defense out..

again.....When is the last time the COWBOYS had even a good defense? .......the 90s?

and if you play next to mediocre players.......it hurts your abilities also.
and the defense wasn't exactly filled with big play playmakers
Church got beat on plays
Byron Jones got beat on a BIG play
Sean Lee got beat on a play for a TD
Claiborne is always hurt
Carr couldn't cover me
Lawrence is fragile
The D line didn't have a sack
etc etc

and by the way, how did you feel about Bill Bates?

Heath had a good "BIG" game. That's more than I can say, for most of ,the rest of the defense.
Brother I don't care if you were in the stands for the first game at Texas Stadium, if you don't think Darren Woodson would help this defense, you're nuts...

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darren Woodson, Charlie Waters , Cliff Harris, James Washington, individually wouldn't help this defense out..

Sorry I have to disagree

All but Washington would help this defense a boat load individually and Washington would be a help

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who knows what they are planning. It starts with who they bring back and how much they restructure. If you restructure all of T Smith, Dez and Frederick to the max and do something post 6/1 with Romo they have room in 2017 I'm sure to sign someone. But all that has done is move 2017 money into outer years. The Romo contract has been a horrible cap albatross for a while now. But they were dumb with how they handled the last one and ended up with little choice. Think about the fact that Romo who isn't even a starter has the biggest 2017 cap hit of any QB (if what I read on general board is correct). Insane. I wonder what the original cap hit was versus what it is now.

Pizz on restructuring contracts did we not learn with Romo ?

Draft Quality players sign some stop gap guys and move along to free up the dead money

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been a COWBOY fan longer than you have.

again.....When is the last time the COWBOYS had even a good defense? .......the 90s?

and if you play next to mediocre players.......it hurts your abilities also.
and the defense wasn't exactly filled with big play playmakers
Church got beat on plays
Byron Jones got beat on a BIG play
Sean Lee got beat on a play for a TD
Claiborne is always hurt
Carr couldn't cover mey
Lawrence is fragile
The D line didn't have a sack
etc etc

and by the way, how did you feel about Bill Bates?

Heath had a good "BIG" game. That's more than I can say, for most of ,the rest of the defense.
You dont know how long I have been a cowboy fan. And what does it matter? If you think Darren Woodson or Clif Harris would not help this team, then you may have watched for many years, but you are clueless on this. Bill bates was a lunch pale hard hitter. I did not care for Charley Waters. He got burned too many times deep for me.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Dallas restructures anyone but Frederick, I am going to pull my hair out. I hope they don't touch Dez and Smith contracts. And Lord please don't let the Cowboys restructure Crawford. IMO, Dallas needs to be thinking about getting out of Crawford's contract ASAP as he has not been worth anything close to the money he is getting. Crawford's deal might be the worst in the entire organization going forward.

With a post 6/1 trade/release of Romo and restructuring Frederick, Dallas should be able to hold serve with the current roster, maybe sign one mid level free agent, and sign the incoming draft class.

I expect Church is gone, he will get some decent money from someone this off season. Leary will get paid, too. I expect Carr back, as he has a cheap team option. I think Claiborne will be back on a 1 year "prove it" deal. Justin Durant probably won't be asked back.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think restructuring Smith and Frederick is automatic. Forgetting about what I would like and just focusing on what I think will happen...the other guys will be done or not done based on our desperation level and with our horrific cap management that's usually pretty high. So I'd expect most of them to be restructured.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think restructuring Smith and Frederick is automatic. Forgetting about what I would like and just focusing on what I think will happen...the other guys will be done or not done based on our desperation level and with our horrific cap management that's usually pretty high. So I'd expect most of them to be restructured.

I think you are right regarding Frederick, almost a certainty he is restructured. I'm not so sure about Smith. Dallas resisted the temptation last year, and I think they will try and hold off again this year. Personally, I think Tyron Smith is a great player and I hope he is in Dallas for the duration of his career, however his season long back issues are concerning. Not sure it's a great idea to get deeper into the hole with Smith considering the potential for back problems to become untenable.

Just looking at the numbers for 2017 quickly, it seems feasible that a Romo trade/release after 6/1 and a Frederick restructure could get Dallas through this off season while not sacrificing too much of the roster. The 2016 draft has made this possible with all of the cheap talent the Cowboys found.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I just have higher expectations for a a defense. Like make a stop at the end of the game for once. We tie the game, the defense let GreenBay drive down the field for a field goal. That does not happen with a good defense. Stop a team from getting into field goal range with just 35 seconds left? That is a bad defense. Not close to adequate. DE, SS, CB, are critical needs,

The only thing I would have to add to this is a bit of a caveat. Aaron Rogers. He can make a defense look bad, even with 35 seconds on clock. I don't think another QB could do what he does and he is hot right now.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are right regarding Frederick, almost a certainty he is restructured. I'm not so sure about Smith. Dallas resisted the temptation last year, and I think they will try and hold off again this year. Personally, I think Tyron Smith is a great player and I hope he is in Dallas for the duration of his career, however his season long back issues are concerning. Not sure it's a great idea to get deeper into the hole with Smith considering the potential for back problems to become untenable.

Just looking at the numbers for 2017 quickly, it seems feasible that a Romo trade/release after 6/1 and a Frederick restructure could get Dallas through this off season while not sacrificing too much of the roster. The 2016 draft has made this possible with all of the cheap talent the Cowboys found.
Dallas is 9M OVER next years projected cap with their SIGNED players. There will have to be a lot or restructuring to get under and sign FAs to fill the roster.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing I would have to add to this is a bit of a caveat. Aaron Rogers. He can make a defense look bad, even with 35 seconds on clock. I don't think another QB could do what he does and he is hot right now.
You are right about Rodgers He is a beast.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas is 9M OVER next years projected cap with their SIGNED players. There will have to be a lot or restructuring to get under and sign FAs to fill the roster.

According to Spotrac...
Dallas Cowboys 2017 Salary Cap
...Dallas is about $5.7mil over for 2017 with 42 players under contract.

If Dallas restructures Frederick and trade/release Romo after 6/1 they can free up about $21mil in cap space. Considering the Cowboys are already over the cap by about $6mil, this will leave them with about $15mil to spend on free agents and the draft class. Figure about $5 mil to sign the draft class (since we will be picking late) and Dallas would have about $9-10mil to play with.

With $9-10mil Dallas could do some things like the following... (just examples)

- re-sign Claiborne 1/3mil
- re-sign JJ Wilcox 2/5mil
- re-sign David Irving 3/10mil
- re-sign Brice Butler 2/2.5mil

That would get Dallas near a full 51 man squad. To fill in the gaps of the roster, the Cowboys could work the margins of their roster for a few extra bucks. Money will be tight, but I think Dallas can make it through without 2 large restructures - or at least I hope so.

Who knows? Maybe Dallas decides it's time to move on from Free at RT and drafts his replacement.

Last edited:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Spotrac...

If Dallas restructures Frederick and trade/release Romo after 6/1 they can free up about $21mil in cap space. Considering the Cowboys are already over the cap by about $6mil, this will leave them with about $15mil to spend on free agents and the draft class. Figure about $5 mil to sign the draft class (since we will be picking late) and Dallas would have about $9-10mil to play with.

That would get Dallas near a full 51 man squad. To fill in the gaps of the roster, the Cowboys could work the margins of their roster for a few extra bucks. Money will be tight, but I think Dallas can make it through without 2 large restructures - or at least I hope so.

Who knows? Maybe Dallas decides it's time to move on from Free at RT and drafts his replacement.
What about Martin?

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about Martin?

What about him? Martin doesn't need to be extended until after 2017. Dallas exercises his 5th year option this summer and extends him in 2018.

Martin's extension in 2018 is why I really hope Dallas only restructures Frederick this off-season. Dallas will need the flexibility in the coming years as our Oline becomes much more expensive, especially considering Dallas will have to pay for Collins around the same time as Martin. That, and I would like to see the cycle of restructures broken once and for all - ideally Frederick will be the last one.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I say Frederick and Smith are pretty much guarantees to be restructured not just this year, but every year to come. Why do you say they didn't restructure Smith last year?

Jerry pissed away the future cap for the present when we weren't good. Now that we are you think he will show restraint? I can't imagine that, but who knows. Sad part is if we didn't kick the can down the road years back we'd be in prime position with Romo's contract going to sign a couple huge FAs and really be in position to win. But, like many fans, the Cowboys brain trust thinks if you can get under the cap you don't have a cap problem and probably think they are smart with the cap because they don't have any long term vision and simply go year to year. Stupid is as stupid does...

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say Frederick and Smith are pretty much guarantees to be restructured not just this year, but every year to come. Why do you say they didn't restructure Smith last year?

Jerry pissed away the future cap for the present when we weren't good. Now that we are you think he will show restraint? I can't imagine that, but who knows. Sad part is if we didn't kick the can down the road years back we'd be in prime position with Romo's contract going to sign a couple huge FAs and really be in position to win. But, like many fans, the Cowboys brain trust thinks if you can get under the cap you don't have a cap problem and probably think they are smart with the cap because they don't have any long term vision and simply go year to year. Stupid is as stupid does...

I don't think we will see yearly restructures going forward. That would fall apart very fast as Smith's contract continues to age.

Edit: I see what you're saying regarding Smith's 2016 contract. I missed that, my fault.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about him? Martin doesn't need to be extended until after 2017. Dallas exercises his 5th year option this summer and extends him in 2018.

Martin's extension in 2018 is why I really hope Dallas only restructures Frederick this off-season. Dallas will need the flexibility in the coming years as our Oline becomes much more expensive, especially considering Dallas will have to pay for Collins around the same time as Martin. That, and I would like to see the cycle of restructures broken once and for all - ideally Frederick will be the last one.
I don't think you risk that with the best player at his position in the league
Frederick 2013 1st round pick. New contract August 2016
Zack Martin 2014 First round pick. New contract TBD

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you risk that with the best player at his position in the league
Frederick 2013 1st round pick. New contract August 2016
Zack Martin 2014 First round pick. New contract TBD

Where is the risk? Martin wants to be in Dallas. Dallas actually protects themselves from risk by waiting to extend. I'm not suggesting Dallas low ball him - give Martin whatever he is asking for, within reason. At the very earliest, Martin could not become a free agent until after 2019 (franchise tag).

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Spotrac...

The 9M number comes from Over the Cap, who know what's really the right number. We also have 18 FA's by my count 9 of them played enough to need replacing. Cutting/trading Romo is probably the right move financially, but it leaves no backup on the team. Both Carr and Claiborne are FA's who must be replaced.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 9M number comes from Over the Cap, who know what's really the right number. We also have 18 FA's by my count 9 of them played enough to need replacing. Cutting/trading Romo is probably the right move financially, but it leaves no backup on the team. Both Carr and Claiborne are FA's who must be replaced.

I looked at over the cap also. I think the discrepancy between the two comes from some roster filler at the bottom of the rosters. Looks like over the cap has a few more guys under contract for Dallas that are highly unlikely to be on the teams final 51 in 2017.

As for backup QB, I think we will see Kellen Moore brought back. He is cheap, only playing for $725,000 last year. Linehan really seems to believe in him, too.

I would like to see Claiborne brought back (never thought I would say that). Hopefully can be done on the cheap with a 1 year "prove it" deal, similar to what he got this year.