• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 COWBOY Defense Is, What We Thought It Would Be

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
..........not very good. There are a few standout players
Sean Lee
Barry Church
Jeff Heath
Byron Jones

But these guys would even be better, if they were playing along side, really good teammates

I think the COWBOYS are contractually done with Brandon Carr.......
Hope they're done with Morris Claiborne.......He's always injured
The COWBOYS need athletes on defense......
Jaylon Smith should help
They need to draft pass rushers and CBs

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sean Lee
Barry Church
Jeff Heath
Byron Jones

But these guys would even be better, if they were playing along side, really good teammates

Jaylon Smith should help

Barry Church may be gone in Free Agency. Wilcox looks ready to take his place after a very good 2016.

Brandon Carr - might have a team option for 2017? Not sure, have to double check.

Morris Claiborne might be worth keeping if he can be had cheap enough, says he wants to be in Dallas.

Byron Jones is a hell of a player, but he got beat like a drum last night by Cook. Hopefully he can start creating more turnovers in the future, that's the only thing he is missing at FS.

Really looking forward to 2017 draft, I expect it to be heavy on defense.

Last edited:

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Church most likely gone
Carr talking retirement
Claiborne bring him back on 1 year cheap contract draft CB

lots of other players gone 2 via FA

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heath and church are back up players. Not starters on Good teams.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sean Lee
Barry Church
Jeff Heath
Byron Jones

Jaylon Smith should help
You lost me at Jeff Heath, standout player...

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The D had issues but it was closer to what PDay thought is was rather than the complete disaster others claimed. Yes improvement is needed but not complete overhaul.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The D had issues but it was closer to what PDay thought is was rather than the complete disaster others claimed. Yes improvement is needed but not complete overhaul.
I guess I just have higher expectations for a a defense. Like make a stop at the end of the game for once. We tie the game, the defense let GreenBay drive down the field for a field goal. That does not happen with a good defense. Stop a team from getting into field goal range with just 35 seconds left? That is a bad defense. Not close to adequate. DE, SS, CB, are critical needs,

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I just have higher expectations for a a defense. Like make a stop at the end of the game for once. We tie the game, the defense let GreenBay drive down the field for a field goal. That does not happen with a good defense. Stop a team from getting into field goal range with just 35 seconds left? That is a bad defense. Not close to adequate. DE, SS, CB, are critical needs,
I'm gonna sound like a broken record, but I think this D is 1 or 2 difference makers away from being a very good D, and if healthy J.Smith is a difference maker, I still think Lawrence will be.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ma

maybe if he can recover from his back injury

I don't think it will happen
Yes, it a big maybe, but the talent is there. Last off season, i was calling for 100% Defense draft, this year its 100% best player available.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna sound like a broken record, but I think this D is 1 or 2 difference makers away from being a very good D, and if healthy J.Smith is a difference maker, I still think Lawrence will be.
You may be right. I think about how Collins and Vernon helped that giants defense, if we get a superstar pass rusher and a stud corner, that would make our defense adequate imo.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, it a big maybe, but the talent is there. Last off season, i was calling for 100% Defense draft, this year its 100% best player available.
100% best defensive player.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sean Lee
Barry Church
Jeff Heath
Byron Jones

Jaylon Smith should help
WTF??? Jeff Heath a standout player:pound:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree about Church this season. He was very good.
Agree. Church was asked to do mostly what he is good at this year and it paid off. We do need another safety that can cover to pair with Jones in pass defense though because the other 3 just can't get there in time and are not great in man coverage either. But Church starting is fine with me. Didn't see enough of the rookie to judge. For all the big hits Wilcox had and the good plays he made he still is way too late while the ball is in the air. He also totally lost Cook on the PAP and ends up out of position way too often. Heath has shown good hands, but again just a step late too often. That being said they all played better than I expected this year.

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Jeff Heath have 2 interceptions?.......one didn't count because of a phantom pass interference.
And he sacked Rogers on a blitz....He's a hard hitter.
And it's really tough to tell how good some players are, because they're playing next to bench warmers.
The COWBOYS defense, is injured too much of the time, to know what they have.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Jeff Heath have 2 interceptions?.......one didn't count because of a phantom pass interference.
And he sacked Rogers on a blitz....He's a hard hitter.
And it's really tough to tell how good some players are, because they're playing next to bench warmers.
The COWBOYS defense, is injured too much of the time, to know what they have.
Ohh my god!!! One game. Heath is a back up at best. How many years have you seen him play? Did you just see him play in the last game for the first time??? You lost all credibility calling him a standout player.:L

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohh my god!!! One game. Heath is a back up at best. How many years have you seen him play? Did you just see him play in the last game for the first time??? You lost all credibility calling him a standout player.:L

I've been a COWBOY fan longer than you have.
Darren Woodson, Charlie Waters , Cliff Harris, James Washington, individually wouldn't help this defense out..

again.....When is the last time the COWBOYS had even a good defense? .......the 90s?

and if you play next to mediocre players.......it hurts your abilities also.
and the defense wasn't exactly filled with big play playmakers
Church got beat on plays
Byron Jones got beat on a BIG play
Sean Lee got beat on a play for a TD
Claiborne is always hurt
Carr couldn't cover me
Lawrence is fragile
The D line didn't have a sack
etc etc

and by the way, how did you feel about Bill Bates?

Heath had a good "BIG" game. That's more than I can say, for most of ,the rest of the defense.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we realistically have cap room for an impact player or 2 on D? Factoring in players we're bringing back, etc.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we realistically have cap room for an impact player or 2 on D? Factoring in players we're bringing back, etc.
Who knows what they are planning. It starts with who they bring back and how much they restructure. If you restructure all of T Smith, Dez and Frederick to the max and do something post 6/1 with Romo they have room in 2017 I'm sure to sign someone. But all that has done is move 2017 money into outer years. The Romo contract has been a horrible cap albatross for a while now. But they were dumb with how they handled the last one and ended up with little choice. Think about the fact that Romo who isn't even a starter has the biggest 2017 cap hit of any QB (if what I read on general board is correct). Insane. I wonder what the original cap hit was versus what it is now.