• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 - 2017

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't think Miller will last till to NE, plus BB reaches for S in the 2nd rd, lol..Seriously, that pick is going to be a OT or LB. Like you said Miller stock is rising, sort of like Tavon Austin from WV a few yrs back. I really don't see NE making any big splashes. One name that I would like to see is Mark Barron. He can play that hybrid type LB/S and add some depth to both position. I believe BB tried to trade for him when he was in TB. He would fit nice with this team.

Don't be shocked if you see NE sign their own guys this offseason and not do much in FA.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2/10/2016 NESN Doug Kyed

Why the Patriots appear to be stacked for 2016

There are two very good reasons why the New England Patriots currently have the best odds to make Super Bowl LI out of the AFC: quarterback Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. There’s also, of course, the fact that most of the team’s top players currently are set to return for next season.

Running back LeGarrette Blount and defensive tackle Akiem Hicks are the team’s top unrestricted free agents. Let’s look at the Patriots’ current depth chart, excluding unrestricted free agents but including restricted free agents (RFAs) and exclusive-rights free agents (URFAs), and their current level of need on a scale of 1 to 10:

QUARTERBACK
Starter: Tom Brady
Reserve: Jimmy Garoppolo
The Patriots will have no problem whatsoever going into 2016 with Brady and Jimmy G. Look for them to add a third quarterback for training camp, though.
Need: 1

RUNNING BACK
Starter: Dion Lewis
Reserves: Brandon Bolden, James White, Tyler Gaffney, Joey Iosefa (future)
Lewis will be the starter next season as long as he comes back healthy after tearing his ACL in November. They could, however, do better than Bolden and Gaffney as the team’s top big backs.
Need: 8

FULLBACK
Starter: James Develin (RFA)
Reserve: Joey Iosefa (future)
Develin should return on a restricted free-agent deal. Iosefa serves as depth at both running back and fullback.
Need: 2

WIDE RECEIVER
Starters: Julian Edelman, Brandon LaFell, Danny Amendola
Reserves: Keshawn Martin, Aaron Dobson, Brian Tyms (RFA), Chris Harper, Matthew Slater, DeAndre Carter (future), Josh Boyce (ERFA)
Another talented receiver should be added through free agency and/or the draft. The Patriots could use a young receiver with speed, size and upside.
Need: 6

TIGHT END
Starter: Rob Gronkowski
Reserves: Michael Williams, Scott Chandler, A.J. Derby
The Patriots should add another young pass-catching tight end unless they have high hopes for Derby, who sat out the entire 2015 season, including most of training camp and the offseason workout program, with an injury.

OFFENSIVE TACKLE
Starters: Nate Solder, Sebastian Vollmer
Reserves: Marcus Cannon, LaAdrian Waddle (RFA), Cameron Fleming (ERFA), Kevin Hughes (ERFA), Keavon Milton (future)
Waddle provides the Patriots with upside, but they still could look to add another player through free agency or the draft.

GUARD
Starters: Josh Kline, Shaq Mason
Reserves: Tre’ Jackson, Chris Barker (future)
Jackson also has the potential to emerge as a starter this offseason. Expect him and Mason to make a big leap entering their second season.
Need: 3

CENTER
Starter: Bryan Stork
Reserve: David Andrews
The Patriots should be set at this position for years. Kline also can play center.

DEFENSIVE END
Starters: Chandler Jones, Rob Ninkovich
Reserves: Jabaal Sheard, Geneo Grissom, Trey Flowers, Rufus Johnson (ERFA), Eric Martin, James Vaughters (future)
The Patriots have a year to see what they have in Grissom and Flowers before Jones, Ninkovich and Sheard all are set to hit free agency. Flowers missed most of his rookie year with injuries and healthy scratches.
Need: 4

DEFENSIVE TACKLE
Starters: Malcom Brown, Alan Branch
Reserves: Dominique Easley, Sealver Siliga (RFA), Chris Jones, Ishmaa’ily Kitchen, Joe Vellano (future)
The Patriots could be set with this group heading into 2016. Depending on what they think of Jones, they could add another pass-rushing interior defensive lineman.
Need: 7

LINEBACKER
Starters: Jamie Collins, Dont’a Hightower, Jerod Mayo
Reserves: Jonathan Freeny, Dane Fletcher, Darius Fleming, Jon Bostic, Brandon King (ERFA), Kevin Snyder
Mayo is unlikely to be back on his current contract. The Patriots should add another linebacker to compete with Freeny for the No. 3 role if Mayo doesn’t return.
Need: 7

CORNERBACK
Starters: Malcolm Butler, Logan Ryan
Reserves: Justin Coleman (ERFA), Leonard Johnson, Darryl Roberts, Rashaan Melvin (future)
That’s a pretty solid group. They could add another veteran if they aren’t completely confident in Coleman, Johnson and Roberts.
Need: 4

SAFETY
Starters: Devin McCourty, Patrick Chung
Reserves: Duron Harmon, Jordan Richards, Brock Vereen (future), Cedric Thompson (future)
Expect the Patriots to bring back either Nate Ebner or Tavon Wilson, both unrestricted free agents.
Need: 5

SPECIAL TEAMS
Starters: K Stephen Gostkowski, P Ryan Allen, LS Joe Cardona
This group should remain intact for years to come.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So DT and LB is a bigger need than OL or a young healthy WR???

Not so sure that Doug Kyed is on his game.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnathan Kraft is taking over more of the team operations and he's not going to let Belichick completely run the team. There have been a lot of mistakes over the past three years and many of them belong to BB. Many people may not agree, but the game is changing is so are the players. Bill has been around for nearly forty years and 2017 is not 1977. I just finished watching "Invincible" about 10 minutes ago. The story of Vince Papale, the 30 year old bartender who made the Philadelphia Eagles in 1976 and played for three years. One of the most outstanding moments in the film was when head coach Dick Vermeil tells the team on the first day of training camp..."The next three weeks of two a days will separate the men from the boys." Just looking at the helmets and pads in that movie is a huge statement on mush the game has changed.

I predict that there will be some shocking changes. I'll predict that Cannon, Fleming, Scott Chandler, L. Blount, C. Jones, B. LaFell, Devlin, Mayo, Fletcher, Harper, S. Jackson, B. Vareen, King and M. Williams are all cut or gone.
I also predict that Chandler Jones will be traded during the draft if he does not sign a contract extension. That will put Collins and Hightower on notice that they could be going elsewhere if they don't resign. Third round draft picks are not enough to replace them if they sign elsewhere.

The salary cap will increase this year and with 15 players being let go giving the Pats nearly $10M more, Bill will make a play for Alshon Jeffrey or Malcom Floyd to give Brady a wide receive who plays outside the numbers. I also predict that he will sign a veteran OT who can play the left side. Solder has been an injury problem the last two years and it's imperative that the Pats not go through another year trying to switch linemen to positions they don't normally play.

J. Kraft is young enough and smart enough to know that BB is in his football golden years and that it may be time for Kraft to make the most unthinkable decision of his life, talk BB into retiring or move on looking to the next ten years.
Wow Ken - just wow! Sometimes you get so angry......
There will be changes. I'm not going to pick apart your list but -
Guys like Chris Harper have been hanging around for a reason. This year Harper will make the team.
I agree on Mayo, Fletcher, Jackson, Blount, and Chandler.
Fleming has played out of position, game plan in the AFC championship made him look bad but it was not his fault. Scar will have him properly positioned and coached.
You're ready to sit Belichick? When you get angry I'm glad you're not my boss......

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

New England Patriots Transactions - 2016

FEBRUARY
DATE TRANSACTION
February 18, 2016 Released DB Leonard Johnson.

JANUARY
DATE TRANSACTION
January 27, 2016 Signed DL Joe Vellano to a reserve/future contract.
January 26, 2016 Signed LB James Vaughters, OL Chris Baker, WR DeAndre Carter, RB Joey Iosefa, DB Rashaan Melvin, OL Keavon Milton, S Cedric Thompson and DB Brock Vereen to reserve/future contracts.
January 23, 2016 Signed LB Kevin Snyder from the practice squad.
January 19, 2016 Placed LB Jerod Mayo on injured reserve.
January 14, 2016 Released OL Torrian Wilson from the practice squad. Re-signed WR DeAndre Carter to the practice squad. Signed DB Cedric Thompson and WR J.J. Worten to the practice squad.
January 12, 2016 Released WR DeAndre Carter from the practice squad. Signed S Cedric Thompson and WR J.J. Worton to the practice squad.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the Patriots roster, it really does appear that they absolutely have to get at least one quality wide receiver, and probably two. The biggest need is a guy who can play outside of the numbers and force the defenses to play honestly. Without a downfield threat, opposing teams can bring up safeties and cheat against the run. A 6'3" or 6'4" WR like a Ruben Randle galloping down the sideline would force at least one safety to stay back to cover over the top. Danny Amendola and Brandon LaFell are both slotted to return but Amendola will no doubt have to re-do his deal which is slotted to count $6.8 million against the salary cap. LaFell was never healthy and had a really bad year after a big 2014 season. He could find himself cut early this spring or if the team feels his poor season was due solely to his not being healthy, he could be back and be allowed to win back his job. LaFell is due to count $3.6 million against the cap in 2016. He may have to redo his contract.

Alshon Jeffrey will most likely be a free agent, but I think his price will be too high for the Patriots. With the wiggle room that the Broncos have, he'd be a perfect fit.

The Broncos for all of the talent they had with their first 24 guys on the roster only were $146M against a cap of $152M. They have more than a few guys they have to pay to keep this year, but they're about $26M under the cap when free agency hits and if they let Manning go before March 8, that saves them another $19M. I think that the Patriots may be paying the bottom 27 players on the roster just a bit too much.

When I refer to the first 24 players, I'm talking about 11 offense, 11 defense and a kicker and punter.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the Patriots roster, it really does appear that they absolutely have to get at least one quality wide receiver, and probably two. The biggest need is a guy who can play outside of the numbers and force the defenses to play honestly. Without a downfield threat, opposing teams can bring up safeties and cheat against the run. A 6'3" or 6'4" WR like a Ruben Randle galloping down the sideline would force at least one safety to stay back to cover over the top. Danny Amendola and Brandon LaFell are both slotted to return but Amendola will no doubt have to re-do his deal which is slotted to count $6.8 million against the salary cap. LaFell was never healthy and had a really bad year after a big 2014 season. He could find himself cut early this spring or if the team feels his poor season was due solely to his not being healthy, he could be back and be allowed to win back his job. LaFell is due to count $3.6 million against the cap in 2016. He may have to redo his contract.

Alshon Jeffrey will most likely be a free agent, but I think his price will be too high for the Patriots. With the wiggle room that the Broncos have, he'd be a perfect fit.

The Broncos for all of the talent they had with their first 24 guys on the roster only were $146M against a cap of $152M. They have more than a few guys they have to pay to keep this year, but they're about $26M under the cap when free agency hits and if they let Manning go before March 8, that saves them another $19M. I think that the Patriots may be paying the bottom 27 players on the roster just a bit too much.

When I refer to the first 24 players, I'm talking about 11 offense, 11 defense and a kicker and punter.

Unless some drastic things happen I don't see the Broncos being big players in FA. From the sound of things they are trying to lock up Malik, Osweiler, and Von. Once those 3 contracts are done it should eat up a big chunk of their cap. If they do go to FA for any position it will be OL. Elway has said this over and over again that OL is where they have to improve the most. There is talk that there could be 4 new starters on the OL this next season. So while Jeffrey would be fun to have I just don't see how the Broncos can justify that especially when they are already paying D. Thomas top money for the position. Throw in they have Sanders for another year on a team friendly deal and used a 2nd round pick on a kid they really like in Latimer that they are hoping this is the year he makes the jump. If the Broncos go and get a big name FA it will be on the OL I can about promise that.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love Sanders on the Patriots.... Never will happen...

but yes I want the Patriots to work on OL and a young wide receiver who can stretch the field

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Brady just signs a 2 year extension

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now for big guys to give him some time in the pocket

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things ended a bit weird when the Patriots lost the AFCCG to the Broncos. The haters started chiming that the end was near and the Patriots were finally going to be placed in a deep hole, never to be heard from again.
As time wore on, the Patriots quietly started making moves, releasing players, watching some walk away and sign with different teams. Then I saw the transactions that the Patriots have made, and I'm impressed.
MARCH
DATE TRANSACTION
March 31, 2016 Signed DT Terrence Knighton
March 30, 2016 Signed TE Clay Harbor
March 30, 2016 Signed DB E.J. Biggers.
March 24, 2016 Signed WR Nate Washington.
March 18, 2016 Signed RB Donald Brown, DE Chris Long and LB Shea McClellin.
March 15, 2016 Traded DE-LB Chandler Jones to Arizona Cardinals for G Jonathan Cooper and a 2016 second-round draft pick. Re-signed DB Nate Ebner.
March 11, 2016 Signed DE Frank Kearse and WR Chris Hogan.
March 10, 2016 Signed QB Tom Brady to a two-year contract extension.
March 10, 2016 Signed LB Ramon Humber. Released LB Dane Fletcher.
March 9, 2016 Signed LB Ramon Humber. Released LB Dane Fletcher.
March 4, 2016 Released LB Darius Fleming.
March 2, 2016 Released TE Scott Chandler and WR Brandon LaFell.
FEBRUARY
DATE TRANSACTION
February 29, 2016 Agreed to terms with QB Tom Brady on a two-year contract extension.
February 18, 2016 Released DB Leonard Johnson.
JANUARY
DATE TRANSACTION
January 27, 2016 Signed DL Joe Vellano to a reserve/future contract.
January 26, 2016 Signed LB James Vaughters, OL Chris Baker, WR DeAndre Carter, RB Joey Iosefa, DB Rashaan Melvin, OL Keavon Milton, S Cedric Thompson and DB Brock Vereen to reserve/future contracts.
January 23, 2016 Signed LB Kevin Snyder from the practice squad.
January 19, 2016 Placed LB Jerod Mayo on injured reserve.
January 14, 2016 Released OL Torrian Wilson from the practice squad. Re-signed WR DeAndre Carter to the practice squad. Signed DB Cedric Thompson and WR J.J. Worten to the practice squad.
January 12, 2016 Released WR DeAndre Carter from the practice squad. Signed S Cedric Thompson and WR J.J. Worton to the practice squad.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PATRIOTS RETURN TO WORK MONDAY APRIL 18, 2016
041816-patriotsday-dd_05-watermarked.jpg

Photo by Dwight Darian
  • 041816-patriotsday-dd_06-watermarked.jpg
    Photo by Dwight Darian
  • 041816-patriotsday-dd_07-watermarked.jpg
    Photo by Dwight Darian
  • 041816-patriotsday-dd_08-watermarked.jpg
    Photo by Dwight Darian
  • 041816-patriotsday-dd_09-watermarked.jpg
    Photo by Dwight Darian
  • 041816-patriotsday-dd_10-watermarked.jpg
    Photo by Dwight Darian
  • 041816-patriotsday-dd_11-watermarked.jpg
    Photo by Dwight Darian
  • 041816-patriotsday-dd_12-watermarked.jpg
    Photo by Dwight Darian
  • 041816-patriotsday-dd_13-watermarked.jpg
    Photo by Dwight Darian
  • Photo by Dwight Darian

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The practice was actually four hours according to Tom Curran at CSNNE.

I don't think it was all on the field.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Casario was on CNNSE yesterday and was answering questions about the draft. The primary focus was on drafts Offensive Tackles. Casario said there are very few OTs ready to come into the NFL and start playing. The problem is that so few schools actually use an NFL style offense. None of the major colleges use one.

The popular spread offense in college generally puts a guy outside who can push an opponent far enough off his stride to allow the QB to get off a pass. These guys can't run block and can't handle the inside speed rush. The guys who play a run primary offense are snow plows who can run block but can't take on a bull rush or a speed rusher. Casario said that it is rare to find a Matt Light or Matt Solder who has the skills to step into the line on the left side and constantly protect Brady.

He did say that Dante Scarneccia has visited more than 30 schools and has held more than 20 individual workouts for Offensive Tackles. He was asked if he had found anyone. Casario just looked at him and smiled.

This where even I'm smart enough not to ask a question that stupid. 31 other teams would have six people working on where he went, who he worked out and would be sending scouts everywhere to undercut any possible Patriot pick.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did say that Dante Scarneccia has visited more than 30 schools and has held more than 20 individual workouts for Offensive Tackles. He was asked if he had found anyone. Casario just looked at him and smiled.

This where even I'm smart enough not to ask a question that stupid. 31 other teams would have six people working on where he went, who he worked out and would be sending scouts everywhere to undercut any possible Patriot pick.

If he got him to slip with that stupid question, he's a hero to his peers.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Casario was on CNNSE yesterday and was answering questions about the draft. The primary focus was on drafts Offensive Tackles. Casario said there are very few OTs ready to come into the NFL and start playing. The problem is that so few schools actually use an NFL style offense. None of the major colleges use one.

The popular spread offense in college generally puts a guy outside who can push an opponent far enough off his stride to allow the QB to get off a pass. These guys can't run block and can't handle the inside speed rush. The guys who play a run primary offense are snow plows who can run block but can't take on a bull rush or a speed rusher. Casario said that it is rare to find a Matt Light or Matt Solder who has the skills to step into the line on the left side and constantly protect Brady.

Actually there are some major programs that run a pro system. Michigan State comes to mind. Florida State runs one very similar as well.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are not a reporter. Reporters are paid to ask stupid questions!

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's take a look at how everyone else's odds changed in the draft.

New England Patriots: 15-to-2 (pre-draft), 7-to-1 (post-draft)

Carolina Panthers: 10-to-1, 11-to-1

Denver Broncos: 10-to-1, 16-to-1

Green Bay Packers: 10-to-1, 10-to-1

Pittsburgh Steelers: 10-to-1, 10-to-1

Seattle Seahawks: 10-to-1, 8-to-1

Arizona Cardinals: 16-to-1, 14-to-1

Dallas Cowboys: 20-to-1, 22-to-1

Houston Texans: 20-to-1, 33-to-1

Cincinnati Bengals: 22-to-1, 18-to-1

Minnesota Vikings: 22-to-1, 22-to-1

Indianapolis Colts: 25-to-1, 22-to-1

Kansas City Chiefs: 25-to-1, 25-to-1

New York Giants: 33-to-1, 25-to-1

Oakland Raiders: 33-to-1, 25-to-1

Baltimore Ravens: 40-to-1, 33-to-1

Atlanta Falcons: 50-to-1, 50-to-1

Buffalo Bills: 50-to-1, 50-to-1

Chicago Bears: 50-to-1, 50-to-1

Detroit Lions: 50-to-1, 66-to-1

Los Angeles Rams: 50-to-1, 50-to-1

New Orleans Saints: 50-to-1, 66-to-1

New York Jets: 50-to-1, 40-to-1

Philadelphia Eagles: 50-to-1, 50-to-1

San Diego Chargers: 50-to-1, 66-to-1

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 50-to-1, 75-to-1

Washington: 50-to-1, 40-to-1

Jacksonville Jaguars: 66-to-1, 66-to-1

Miami Dolphins: 66-to-1, 66-to-1

San Francisco 49ers: 66-to-1, 100-to-1

Tennessee Titans: 100-to-1, 100-to-1

Cleveland Browns: 150-to-1, 100-to-1

Post-draft, 12 teams saw no change at all in their odds: the Packers, Steelers, Vikings, Chiefs, Falcons, Bills, Bears, Rams, Eagles, Jaguars, Dolphins, and Titans.

Meanwihile, 11 teams saw their odds improve: the Browns, Jets, Washington, Giants, Raiders, Ravens, Bengals, Colts, Seahawks, Cardinals, and Patriots. (The Pats saw their odds improve from 15-to-1 to 7-to-1 despite the overturning of Judge Berman's ruling in Tom Brady's case against the NFL, which happened between free agency and the draft).

And nine teams saw their odds get worse: the Panthers, Cowboys, Broncos, Texans, Lions, Saints, Chargers, Buccaneers, and 49ers.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posted May 3, 2016 at 6:44 am
By: Steve Balestrieri

Pats will have intense competition in Training Camp at WR The Patriots added some much-needed youth into the wide receiver core, by selecting Malcolm Mitchell from Georgia in the 4th Round and Devin Lucien with a comparative steal in 7th Round of the NFL Draft.

With Julian Edelman turning 30 later this month and Danny Amendola and Nate Washington turning 31 and 33 respectively this season, the team needed an injection of youth and athleticism. The team added Chris Hogan during free agency who brings a bit of size, speed, and athleticism to the mix. Now with Mitchell and Lucien thrown into the fray at WR, the level of competition during spring OTAs and into training camp should be intriguing. The two rookies join Edelman, Amendola, Hogan, Washington, Aaron Dobson, Keshawn Martin, Chris Harper and DeAndre Carter into the mix at the position. UDFA agents D.J. Foster as well as De’Runnya Wilson could also be in the mix.

With Edelman and Hogan roster locks and Amendola very nearly one, that doesn’t leave much room on the roster for the others to compete for a roster slot. Matthew Slater, a perennial Pro-Bowl STs player is a wide receiver (in name only) as well. But with both rookie draft picks playing outside the numbers, they have the opportunity to contribute immediately and provide some needed production that doesn’t come from the slot.

Mitchell has good but not great size at 6’0, 198 pounds. He shook off some injuries to put up some solid numbers despite overall poor play from the Georgia QBs. He had 58 catches for 865 yards for a 14.9-yard average, and five touchdowns in his final season. He possesses good speed with 4.45 speed in the 40-yard dash with good hands and the ability to go over the middle of the field and be productive. He’s tough, runs very good routes but will have to be more physical, as he can get re-routed at the line of scrimmage. He’ll be looked to take over that Brandon LaFell role as the “X” wide receiver. He should be able to fulfill that role well, coming from a pro-style offense with the Bulldogs. Lucien was considered one of the biggest sleepers in the draft. He spent three years at UCLA before transferring to AZ St. He’s another guy that runs smooth routes, can make contested catches in traffic.

Lucien has decent size at 6’2, 195-pounds and has the ability to make yards after the catch. His scouting profile says “he can turn 15 yards into 40 if he slips a tackle.” He’s very good at working the middle of the field, a Patriots specialty. After starting the season slowly, he got in sync with the offense down the stretch especially once he got over a hamstring injury which slowed him. He dominated over his last three games with 534 yards receiving and 5 touchdowns. These two players with Hogan thrown into the competition should give the Patriots plenty of options for Tom Brady to throw the ball outside the numbers, something that was missing in 2015 after LaFell was so successful the year prior.

But let’s temper expectations a bit. Don’t expect either of these guys to come in and catch 60-70 passes this season….that isn’t going to happen. With Rob Gronkowski, Martellus Bennett, Edelman, Amendola, Hogan and (hopefully), Dion Lewis out of the backfield, there just isn’t going to be that many passes to go around. But they will be able to compete and contribute….Mitchell especially in the offense right from jump street.

The training camp battles for reps and roster spots is going to be very interesting to watch.

Let the games begin.