• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah Frye is highly unlikely to play against hte Warriors unless McGee is on the floor- If i were to guess a guy who is a little bit of an underdog with conventional thinking that might get some run against the Warriors is Derrick Williams.

I wouldnt think Love would play 38 minutes.

Kyrie/Bron/Thompson will all see huge minutes. Id bet Shumpert sees pretty substantial minutes as well. Deron Williams and Jefferson will see some time.

Honestly think Korver might be a guy who might fall out of the rotation against the Warriors. Especially if KD is healthy. If KD is out, Korver could see some PT with him not having to guard much against the second unit. They could match him up with Livingston who's not a perimeter threat and take his changes with being posted up.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dunno.....i think dealing Russell right before he hits restricted free agency would seriously curtail his value. Id try and see how he plays with Ball. The problem is- if you have Clarkson, Russell and Ball- thats prob just too many guys who need the ball in their hands.

Id deal Clarkson as he has the least upside, and prob more value than Russell as- trading Russell right before he hits restricted free agency and will be due a huge raise is not very enticing to many teams.....its hard to justify giving up substantial assets when you also have to pay a guy who you would be paying more on potential then play to this point.
Great point, I concede on Russell.

You are absolutely correct.

What Team do you see rolling the dice on Giles?

Maybe the Lakers with that Houston Pick?

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Warriors I would venture to guess would use Pachulia and McGee combined for less than 24 minutes a game, if that, playing against the Cavs in the finals.

I would venture to guess the Warriors could play any one of 11 guys. It would be heavily based on 6 guys, with the other 5 being interchangable based on changing the game up.

Steph, Klay, KD, Draymond, Iguodala - core 5 (each would likely play 38 minutes)
Bigs - Pachulia, West, McGee
Smalls - Livingston, Barnes, Clark

I'd assume something similar would happen for the Cavs too. They'd have a few core guys, but they'd be interchangable based on who's playing the best. Like how Frye got cut out of the rotation last year. I'd love to see him get major minutes in the finals.
It would be interesting to see if Kerr subs Barnes in for Dray at some point with the rest of the core out there. He's a grimy one so that might be an advantage for the Dubs throughout the playoffs.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly think Korver might be a guy who might fall out of the rotation against the Warriors. Especially if KD is healthy. If KD is out, Korver could see some PT with him not having to guard much against the second unit. They could match him up with Livingston who's not a perimeter threat and take his changes with being posted up.
I dunno-- im a little worried about Korver's knee right now- not much has come out about it but hes missed the last few games.

I think how much Korver plays will depend on how JR and Shumpert are shooting---- i think Korver will play in lineups where Kyrie or LeBron are on the floor without the other one- for scoring punch---- but if JR is playing good ball, and Shumpert is hitting 3's Korver would prob see some decreased minutes.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
did you see your boy McCaw went 0/12 from the field with 2 points in 42 minutes the other night in that game against the Spurs?

dude.....

i mean........

even me- who has a well documented history at disparaging the 2nd round rook thought that was truly unbelievable.

2 points, 1 rebound, 1 assist in 42 minutes with all those guys sitting out- shooting 0/12? holy shit man. That is unbeleivable box score.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great point, I concede on Russell.

You are absolutely correct.

What Team do you see rolling the dice on Giles?

Maybe the Lakers with that Houston Pick?
i think that it would be better if he went to a veteran team with a little more support- getting thrown into that mess with all those other young guys might be an issue. Esp. with playing time- you want the guy to play- if the Lakers keep their first pick- there are a ton of bodies on that roster that need minutes (another reason why signing Deng and Mozgov was baffling).

Id guess a more veteran team.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
did you see your boy McCaw went 0/12 from the field with 2 points in 42 minutes the other night in that game against the Spurs?

dude.....

i mean........

even me- who has a well documented history at disparaging the 2nd round rook thought that was truly unbelievable.

2 points, 1 rebound, 1 assist in 42 minutes with all those guys sitting out- shooting 0/12? holy shit man. That is unbeleivable box score.

Yeah, he had a really, really terrible game. No disputing that. I didn't get to see the game, just saw the box score.

He's got to be able to produce more when he's out on the court. He seems to float too much, which is a problem with most rookies. Unfortunately this situation has been thrust upon him and he needs to figure it out. Kerr still trusts him because of his defense, and he'll still be out there, but he needs to figure out a way to do more offensively. Right now it feels like they're playing 4 on 5 offense when he's out there.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he had a really, really terrible game. No disputing that. I didn't get to see the game, just saw the box score.

He's got to be able to produce more when he's out on the court. He seems to float too much, which is a problem with most rookies. Unfortunately this situation has been thrust upon him and he needs to figure it out. Kerr still trusts him because of his defense, and he'll still be out there, but he needs to figure out a way to do more offensively. Right now it feels like they're playing 4 on 5 offense when he's out there.
thats why you pickup guys like Barnes to play meaningful minutes- esp. in the playoffs.

Sometimes i wish the CAvs took a more developmental approach with the back end of the roster- but when you are trying to rest guys, and have some injuries- its extremely difficult to do.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think that it would be better if he went to a veteran team with a little more support- getting thrown into that mess with all those other young guys might be an issue. Esp. with playing time- you want the guy to play- if the Lakers keep their first pick- there are a ton of bodies on that roster that need minutes (another reason why signing Deng and Mozgov was baffling).

Id guess a more veteran team.
Can't believe they still have him as a lottery pick.

That is insane.

2017 Mock Draft | NBADraft.net

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

dude.....

i mean........

So what rookie do you know that's put up franchise player stats after starting the season as a second or third string option, later being thrown into the starting lineup in place of a top 10 player in the league?

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's too hesitant on his shot- and that gives the defense time to catch up with all the ball movement.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats why you pickup guys like Barnes to play meaningful minutes- esp. in the playoffs.

Sometimes i wish the CAvs took a more developmental approach with the back end of the roster- but when you are trying to rest guys, and have some injuries- its extremely difficult to do.

Yeah, no one is under any illusions that McCaw will get any sort of meaningful minutes in the playoffs. In the regular season it's fine though. You yourself said the regular season doesn't matter, so the fact he's in the rotation now shouldn't concern anyone. If it happens in the playoffs it's only because 1) he's playing out of his mind or 2) the Warriors are in bad shape.

One more thing about McCaw though is he seems to be deferring too much. I'm talking about him simply giving the ball up once he touches it. He gets the ball, and immediately passes it to Klay, Steph or Draymond. It's like clockwork. He needs to build up some confidence on the offensive side of the ball.

What he should be doing is shadowing Livingston every day in practice. What McCaw needs right now to be a productive player on offense is have two things 1) knock down corner 3 shot and 2) two dribble pull up mid range. He's got a good enough handle to accomplish #2.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what rookie do you know that's put up franchise player stats after starting the season as a second or third string option, later being thrown into the starting lineup in place of a top 10 player in the league?
going 0/12 with 2 pts and 1 assist in 42 minutes just might be the worst individual box score in the league this season.

I would give @Mecca the benefit of the doubt that she could go 1/12. lol.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's too hesitant on his shot- and that gives the defense time to catch up with all the ball movement.

Or he simply just gives the ball away without any thought of contributing.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or he simply just gives the ball away without any thought of contributing.
I meani can see how that would be an easy thing to do playing with so many stars--- thats why i have been impressed in Felder's limited run--- that is a guy who is not afraid- that is for sure.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I meani can see how that would be an easy thing to do playing with so many stars--- thats why i have been impressed in Felder's limited run--- that is a guy who is not afraid- that is for sure.

The problem with McCaw is that he wasn't drafted by the team for his offensive acumen. He was drafted as a defender, with a handle and upside offensively. He's far from a finished offensive product like Felder was. It's much easier for an offensive rookie to look more impressive than a defensive one.

Unfortunately he's been put in a role where the guy he is replacing scored 25 a game. That's a lot to ask of someone who was previously just being used as a situational defender.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I watched the Warriors game last night and the team is in rough shape. Right now they're probably a 2nd round exit. They could probably get past the 1st round just on talent, but continuity would cause them to lose to most teams they could face in the second round.

Interesting comments -- thanks for posting.

I feel like Kerr is trying to stay with some basic principals -- and stick with them win or lose. Clearly some stuff isn't working now -- but he is trying to stay with what he believes.

This doesn't mean your are wrong -- just trying to think about his perspective.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting comments -- thanks for posting.

I feel like Kerr is trying to stay with some basic principals -- and stick with them win or lose. Clearly some stuff isn't working now -- but he is trying to stay with what he believes.

This doesn't mean your are wrong -- just trying to think about his perspective.

Oh no, I absolutely agree with you. He's trying to stick with his principles, but they're simply not applicable to this team as constructed. He needs to make adjustments as any good coach would in this situation. If he feels like sticking to the same principles is good for when KD returns to not have to lose anything with continuity, it makes sense. But that's hedging a lot on KD coming back healthy enough to resume his full role. Right now the team needs to find a way for a worst case scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.