• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cavs defense is ranked 22nd in OPP PPG, 16th in OPP FG%, 24th in OPP 3 pt%, & 22nd in Defensive Rating.

Come talk to me when you realize this didn't start 5 games ago.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a more annoying version of Skip Bayless.

giphy.gif

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cavs defense is ranked 22nd in OPP PPG, 16th in OPP FG%, 24th in OPP 3 pt%, & 22nd in Defensive Rating.

I remember the Cavs D being an issue last year. Albeit they won the title, but iirc it wasn't this bad. Something to keep an eye on. Luckily, subpar defense or not, they'll still make it out of the East. How they handle the Dubs or Spurs is another issue.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember the Cavs D being an issue last year. Albeit they won the title, but iirc it wasn't this bad. Something to keep an eye on. Luckily, subpar defense or not, they'll still make it out of the East. How they handle the Dubs or Spurs is another issue.

Yeah, last year the def FG% was about where it is now... middle of the pack. But the def efficiency wasn't nearly this bad. I think they were right around #10 going into the playoffs last year.

That said, I think this year has involved a lot less roster continuity than last year... both from injury issues and personnel changes.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, last year the def FG% was about where it is now... middle of the pack. But the def efficiency wasn't nearly this bad. I think they were right around #10 going into the playoffs last year.

That said, I think this year has involved a lot less roster continuity than last year... both from injury issues and personnel changes.

That is true. I think the Cavs were perfectly healthy last season as it related to major injuries such as what JR and Love are dealing with.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last year it wasn't nearly as bad. It was more middle of the pack. This year it is just flat out bad.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What he also doesn't mention is that in those 5 losses the Cavs gave up an average of 110 pts per game.

In addition, one of their wins came with them giving up 130 points to the Hawks.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To put the Cavs defense in perspective, the Warriors have had 3 losses in their last 5 games (all without Durant who is one of their best defenders).

The Warriors gave up 112(Durant injury game), 94 and 99 in those losses to the opposition, for an average of 101 ppg.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you are making my point for me.

there recent losing isnt a function of defense - as the defense hasnt been great all year. The recent losing is a direct function of going from being the elite of the elite offensively (at least in the East) to being wrteched offensively.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is true. I think the Cavs were perfectly healthy last season as it related to major injuries such as what JR and Love are dealing with.
well Irving and Shumpert didnt play for the first two months.

but you are right in that JR is a very solid 2 way player- at least was last year- and Love's elite defensive rebounding has a very strong impact on the defense.

howeveri- think the biggest culprit- as was in January- is the lack of continuity---- losing Love, Smith, adding Korver, LeBron and Kyrie being out of the lineup here and there- adding dwill and dwill.

no one has played together. Its basically training camp for them right now. They have time to get it together- but its gonna be very hard to do unless they can consistently get the majority of the team on the court at the same time and figure out roles, minutes, lineups, etc.

last night was a perfect example- Jr SMith comes back - and Korver sits.....so you trade one guy who has kinda finally felt out his role- for a guy coming back for the first time in a few months.---not only that- but their backup point guard just got here.

last night in the 4th i saw Kyrie take a terrible shot on the upper left wing- where there was no ball movement, just a stutter step 3. Thats what was happening in january. There needs to be some flow and some continuity.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What he also doesn't mention is that in those 5 losses the Cavs gave up an average of 110 pts per game.

In addition, one of their wins came with them giving up 130 points to the Hawks.

I didn't see last nights Cavs game, but the score vs Heat could have been whatever % the Heat shot.
Every shot was basically open, where Cavs just hoped they missed.
In the 4th qtr, the Heat stupidly started playing the clock vs continuing to play the game.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you are correct

in those 5 losses they gave up 110 a game- which is less than 4 points off their season average of giving up 106.5 points per game.

offensively- as i said- under 98 points a game in those 5 losses- which is at least 13 points off their conference leading offensive average of 111 points a game

so, what do you think is the better explanation? scoring 13 points under their season average or giving up less than 4 points over their season average?

:nono::noidea:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LMAO exactly.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you are correct

in those 5 losses they gave up 110 a game- which is less than 4 points off their season average of giving up 106.5 points per game.

offensively- as i said- under 98 points a game in those 5 losses- which is at least 13 points off their conference leading offensive average of 111 points a game

so, what do you think is the better explanation? scoring 13 points under their season average or giving up less than 4 points over their season average?

:nono::noidea:

But that's what always happens. Offense comes and goes. Although for elite teams like the Cavs, it usually happens less frequently, but bad offensive games happen. Those are the ones that matter in the playoffs and those are the ones that win championships.

Case in point, the Cavs last year held opponents to an average of 98.3 ppg. And in game 7 of the NBA finals, they held the Warriors to 89 points. Now the Cavs have more firepower than they did last year, but is there any way they could duplicate a defensive performance like that?

Time will tell.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that's what always happens. Offense comes and goes. Although for elite teams like the Cavs, it usually happens less frequently, but bad offensive games happen. Those are the ones that matter in the playoffs and those are the ones that win championships.

Case in point, the Cavs last year held opponents to an average of 98.3 ppg. And in game 7 of the NBA finals, they held the Warriors to 89 points. Now the Cavs have more firepower than they did last year, but is there any way they could duplicate a defensive performance like that?

Time will tell.
the Cavs have more fire power on paper- that is for sure- but how many games do you think the Cavs have had with their ideal 9 man rotation on available? Or even 7 or 8 guys avaliable?

the answer is of course zero at this point. As soon as Jr comes back- korver sits....they lose love- and add dwill and dwill. etc...or bron sits, or kyrie sits. etc.

the Cavs have prob 10 guys lue will trust to play in the playoffs- depending on matchup- prob about in the below order id say.....

1. Bron Bron
2. KI
3. Love
4. Thompson
5. Smith
6. Korver
7. Shumpert
8. Deron Will.
9. C. Frye
10. Derrick Will.

of course those guys have had basically zero chance to play together because of injuries/trades/signings. Its very concerning. A good defense (and offense for that matter) is a product of everyone knowing their role, and being on the same page.

Its been basically impossible for that to happen- its why you have seen them revert to iso ball and kyrie and lebron carrying such a heavy load of late.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Cavs have more fire power on paper- that is for sure- but how many games do you think the Cavs have had with their ideal 9 man rotation on available? Or even 7 or 8 guys avaliable?

the answer is of course zero at this point. As soon as Jr comes back- korver sits....they lose love- and add dwill and dwill. etc...or bron sits, or kyrie sits. etc.

the Cavs have prob 10 guys lue will trust to play in the playoffs

1. Bron Bron
2. KI
3. Love
4. Thompson
5. Smith
6. Korver
7. Shumpert
8. Deron Will.
9. C. Frye
10. Derrick Will.

of course those guys have had basically zero chance to play together because of injuries/trades/signings. Its very concerning. A good defense (and offense for that matter) is a product of everyone knowing their role, and being on the same page.

Its been basically impossible for that to happen- its why you have seen them revert to iso ball and kyrie and lebron carrying such a heavy load of late.

I mean it's all well and good if you just want to totally disregard defense. The thing that kept the Cavs elite was their combination of good defense with elite offense. Now they have an Elite offense, but a terrible defense. The thing is you can win games where you have bad offensive games, but play good defense. You can't win a game if you're bad offensively though, and hope to rely on a bad defensive.

So if you're fine with that, then more power to you and good luck.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Bron Bron
2. KI
3. Love
4. Thompson
5. Smith
6. Korver
7. Shumpert
8. Deron Will.
9. C. Frye
10. Derrick Will.

I think Derrick Williams will eventually fall out of the rotation. Only 8 minutes last night and that was without Korver or Love playing. Not a good sign at all

Status
Not open for further replies.