• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
exactly...

he does have value since he is signed for next year at only 8 million.

however- after that- his salary will jump- and he will be 32 when his next contract starts. Where the Lakers are i cant see how paying Lou Williams a significant amt. of money at the age of 32 makes sense.

thats why i think if they can get a late first rounder for him it would be a great move.

Actually, he's only at $7 million. With the way he has played though, I agree that he'll be in line for a solid raise when this contract ends.

If the kids appear to be developing a little early and the Lakers look to be a solid playoff team at that time, then maybe it makes sense to keep him. But, the more likely scenario would be to trade him for a pick as you suggested and/or another young guy with upside.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, he's only at $7 million. With the way he has played though, I agree that he'll be in line for a solid raise when this contract ends.

If the kids appear to be developing a little early and the Lakers look to be a solid playoff team at that time, then maybe it makes sense to keep him. But, the more likely scenario would be to trade him for a pick as you suggested and/or another young guy with upside.
whats Calderon's deal?

i forget what happened with that deal...why did u guys take him? as depth or did you get something for taking his money?

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the Lakers could trade Williams to the Bulls and fulfill my dream of making Taj a Laker? :yes:

Money wise, Taj and McBuckets for Williams and......Young?

Or maybe do a malcontent for past malcontent trade and substitute Mirotic in place of McBuckets?

Wouldn't hurt you since Mirotic is a free agent this Summer.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems pretty obvious to me.

One a different note...

Mozgof was giving Whiteside hell in the first half.

@WiggyRuss didn't mention that because it isn't referenced in the box score...

* waits for it *
hell..id agree with that- Mozgov's biggest contribution comes on nights where he can guard traditional plodding centers....he freaking played 30 minutes last night when hes averaging 21.2 minutes a game on the season. Mozgov is a very nice weapon against traditional slow centers like that.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked Melo's response ----- "it's irrelevant to me"
and give him a break- that was so long ago and he was so young....newsflash- millionaire celebrity athlete that won a national title in college wasnt exactly thrilled with playing defense and getting berated by a coach like George Karl when he was early on in his career....big surprise.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whats Calderon's deal?

i forget what happened with that deal...why did u guys take him? as depth or did you get something for taking his money?

The Lakers will take on the veteran's $7.7 million in their salary cap for next season, according to Mike Bresnahan of the TWC SportsNet.

The Lakers announced the trade Thursday, adding they will receive two future second-round picks while the Bulls will receive the draft rights to Ater Majok, who was the 58th pick in the 2011 draft.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Money wise, Taj and McBuckets for Williams and......Young?

Or maybe do a malcontent for past malcontent trade and substitute Mirotic in place of McBuckets?

Wouldn't hurt you since Mirotic is a free agent this Summer.
Mirotic in that Walton offense with a bunch of young guys seems like a lot better bet than in that chicago offense surrounded by vets.

it might be a risk worth taking- especially since he would provide a possible 3 pt shooting big man if he could ever get his act together.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers will take on the veteran's $7.7 million in their salary cap for next season, according to Mike Bresnahan of the TWC SportsNet.

The Lakers announced the trade Thursday, adding they will receive two future second-round picks while the Bulls will receive the draft rights to Ater Majok, who was the 58th pick in the 2011 draft.
thats not bad at all...2 future 2nd for taking on Calderon's deal...

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the problem i see is that by the time the Lakers deals with Mozgov and Deng are up- Randle and Russell will already have signed potentially large extensions (if they are deemed worthy of them).

just laying it out--- if Mozgov and Deng had 2 year deals- you could then jump back into the free agent market while RAndle and Russell are still on their rookie deals.

Now- You will have to jump in after Randle and Russell get significant raises eating up cap room.

True. However, it looks like the Lakers are banking on the young guys developing along the lines of what OKC and GSW did.

Assuming that's the case and considering how much harder the new CBA looks like it will make signing a max FA, then the Deng and Mozgov deals are no problem as long as they continue doing what they were ultimately signed for.

Ideally, by the time Russell and Randle are on richer deals, the Lakers will just be looking at FA's to fill in around the core guys rather than looking to sign a max guy anyway.

Plus, there are always teams looking to take on an expiring contract, so they may be able to unload one or both early if need be.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hell..id agree with that- Mozgov's biggest contribution comes on nights where he can guard traditional plodding centers....he freaking played 30 minutes last night when hes averaging 21.2 minutes a game on the season. Mozgov is a very nice weapon against traditional slow centers like that.

"slow, plodding centers" AGAIN? thought this crap was put to bed a while back...:L

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,518.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read about Karl.....fucking trash POS. Having faced off against cancer and "won," he shouldn't stoop to this type of shit. I agree with Martin. Coward fits him perfectly and Carmelo was right in not responding. Shocked and saddened by this during the Holiday season.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems pretty obvious to me.

One a different note...

Mozgof was giving Whiteside hell in the first half.

@WiggyRuss didn't mention that because it isn't referenced in the box score...

* waits for it *

Yeah, he did. Unfortunately, some fucker went and woke Whiteside up and he finished with 23 points and 13 rebounds. I'm blaming @TurnUpTheHeat since he was probably at the game. lol

Last edited:

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mirotic in that Walton offense with a bunch of young guys seems like a lot better bet than in that chicago offense surrounded by vets.

it might be a risk worth taking- especially since he would provide a possible 3 pt shooting big man if he could ever get his act together.

Yep.

Give him a half a Season audition.

Only issue I see is, his stint in the Euro League makes him feel entitled to minutes.

He's not getting minutes over Randle, Deng or The Rookie.

Would you even play him over Nance?

He's a situational guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.