• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta disagree with your disagreement or something like that. It's expensive to go to an NBA game. If I'm putting out the kind of cash that it takes to see a certain player in person, I'd like to see that player play if he's not injured.

These players have what they have and make the money they make because of the fans. I've never been a particular fan of Kobe, but one thing I give him credit for was that he understood that. It's a big part of why he never wanted to sit out games and played in games when he really had no business playing. But he understood that the fans are why he has what he has and he wanted to try and give them their money's worth.

As for lengthening the season and eliminating back to backs. Why? What kind of pussies are these guys? Back in the 70's, teams would play back to back to back. If memory serves, the '72 Lakers played at least 2 and maybe 3 sets of back to back to back games during their 33 game win streak.

With the far better accommodations and much easier travel that players have today, there's no reason for these guys to have a problem with back to backs.

It's the new generation of players. These guys are pussies compared to the players of the previous generation. Sadly, it's Pop of all coaches that started this trend; but he did it with guys who were clearly old and at the clear end of their respective primes. It's only been exacerbated since.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta disagree with your disagreement or something like that. It's expensive to go to an NBA game. If I'm putting out the kind of cash that it takes to see a certain player in person, I'd like to see that player play if he's not injured.

These players have what they have and make the money they make because of the fans. I've never been a particular fan of Kobe, but one thing I give him credit for was that he understood that. It's a big part of why he never wanted to sit out games and played in games when he really had no business playing. But he understood that the fans are why he has what he has and he wanted to try and give them their money's worth.

As for lengthening the season and eliminating back to backs. Why? What kind of pussies are these guys? Back in the 70's, teams would play back to back to back. If memory serves, the '72 Lakers played at least 2 and maybe 3 sets of back to back to back games during their 33 game win streak.

With the far better accommodations and much easier travel that players have today, there's no reason for these guys to have a problem with back to backs.

For the record, next season is starting close to a week earlier. I believe October 17th while this year it started on the 26th. Can't wait to see the new excuse about resting players next year when there will be even fewer back to back

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the new generation of players. These guys are pussies compared to the players of the previous generation. Sadly, it's Pop of all coaches that started this trend; but he did it with guys who were clearly old and at the clear end of their respective primes. It's only been exacerbated since.

Supposedly their is some type of statistical anylasis that breaks down how many minutes each player should play to be fully efficient

It's prob bs, but who knows

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A league full of snowflakes.

Reactions: LAD

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 overtime games tonight, plus Charlotte won right down near the end of the game,

helluva slate of early games. Really well played game on both sides for the Cavs and Bucks- not many turnovers- very good defense- runs---- the difference was the Cavs 3 pt. shooting.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami is going to lose because they couldn't make free throws to seal the victory at the end of 4th and in the 1st OT. Nothing pisses me off more than a team giving a game away because you can't do the simple things like hit free throws. First time I've been mad after a game since the 2nd game of the season
The Orlando offense playing some great ball and shooting 49.5% from the field and 50% from 3 certainly didnt help things either.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Orlando offense playing some great ball and shooting 49.5% from the field and 50% from 3 certainly didnt help things either.

lol man if you didn't see the game just shut up. Miami had chances to end the game at the line in the 4th and OT and failed. The Orlando offense really had nothing to do with it. The game was basically done twice tonight. All Miami had to do was cash in at the free throw line and they failed.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol man if you didn't see the game just shut up. Miami had chances to end the game at the line in the 4th and OT and failed. The Orlando offense really had nothing to do with it. The game was basically done twice tonight. All Miami had to do was cash in at the free throw line and they failed.

I see your frustration and it's understandable. I thought we were going to be bad given our roster and that we have a lot of temporary pieces. The Heat is not as bad as our record-wise if you take free throw shooting out of the equation. Unfortunately when it all boils down, free throw shooting or lack thereof can kill you down the strecth; and it seems to be a consistent theme.

Not one loss bothers me this year given that I expect 25-28 wins with a top 5 pick in the draft. But I didn't think the losses would come by way of simply missing free throws.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see your frustration and it's understandable. I thought we were going to be bad given our roster and that we have a lot of temporary pieces. The Heat is not as bad as our record-wise if you take free throw shooting out of the equation. Unfortunately when it all boils down, free throw shooting or lack thereof can kill you down the strecth; and it seems to be a consistent theme.

Not one loss bothers me this year given that I expect 25-28 wins with a top 5 pick in the draft. But I didn't think the losses would come by way of simply missing free throws.

The only 2 losses that bothered me this year was this game and the 2nd game of the year vs Charlotte when the offense completely disappeared in the 2nd half after having a pretty big 1st half lead

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching this Warriors game, it's pretty amazing how this lead continues to grow after they started off like shit on offense.

Also, McGee seems to be finding his role with his team and getting comfortable. Which I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but outside of Draymond, he's probably going to be counted on the most outside of the big 4.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching this Warriors game, it's pretty amazing how this lead continues to grow after they started off like shit on offense.

Also, McGee seems to be finding his role with his team and getting comfortable. Which I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but outside of Draymond, he's probably going to be counted on the most outside of the big 4.

They're overwhelming the Jazz

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Utah needs to hurry up and get healthy. I don't think they've had 1 game where all their main guys have played together

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sucks that DeMarcus Cousins has to bitch during games and occasionally have problems in the locker room, because he's really good at basketball.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sucks that DeMarcus Cousins has to bitch during games and occasionally have problems in the locker room, because he's really good at basketball.
55 points in a win, but it looked like he was gonna be ejected towards the end. And he still looked frustrated after the game because of the near ejected.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A league full of snowflakes.
Still, I am glad they made a move and did something. I understand the old school thought and that they should be able to hold up, but no matter how strong you are and physically fit, it still takes the body time to rest. Starting the season a week earlier was to me a no brainer. I won't call it a solution, but I do think it will take some of the pressure off of the back to back games and in the process we might see better games. The back to back games I want to see eliminated are the ones where team a plays a home game or one in New York and then have to fly to Denver the same night and play Denver the next night at 10,000 feet altitude. It was bad enough that the players had to play tired, but not even a few hours to get acclimated to the altitude. I would love to see them have started the season two weeks sooner, but one week and let everyone get used to the new schedule was a good start.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It is not the players. It is the coaches and front office staff making theses calls.

Popovich started the trend, now because all of the top teams rest players, you would be putting yourself at a huge disadvantage not to. Coaches today have a greater understanding of the impact that wear and tear of an 82 game grind can have on their top dogs come June, so they take proactive steps to change it.

Last week Kyrie sat two games, Love and LeBron sat 1 each. LeBron seems indifferent to rest, but if they wanted/needed him to play he would have. Kyrie did not want to sit.

I think it is seriously unfair to blame this trend on the players.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is not the players. It is the coaches and front office staff making theses calls.

Popovich started the trend, now because all of the top teams rest players, you would be putting yourself at a huge disadvantage not to. Coaches today have a greater understanding of the impact that wear and tear of an 82 game grind can have on their top dogs come June, so they take proactive steps to change it.

Last week Kyrie sat two games, Love and LeBron sat 1 each. LeBron seems indifferent to rest, but if they wanted/needed him to play he would have. Kyrie did not want to sit.

I think it is seriously unfair to blame this trend on the players.

I agree with you. I think as you said its the gm and coaches. They tell the players they're going to rest and that's the end of that. I don't think players care to fight especially knowing they will be playing likely in June as is the case with the Cavs. Now don't get me started on guys like Lopez and Cousins resting though. That makes no sense. Last night was the 2nd or 3rd time this year where Brooklyn gave Lopez the night off to rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.