• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bingo. All the other talk is white noise. Miami is not a very good team this year. Maybe they can build toward something. Whiteside and Dragic are good players. Winslow is decent. Not sure about anyone else. I think they will probably be middle-to-bottom of the league for at least a couple years. They lost LeBron, Wade, and Bosh in a matter of 2 years. That's hard to recover from.
I always thought that once LeBron left they should have rebuilt from the bottom up- instead they doubled down and now it looks like they are at the beginning of a long, painful rebuild. It happens though- just about everyone has to go through it once in a while unless you are the San Antonio Spurs.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes.Wasn't he supposed to slack off once he got a contract? Hassan, Richardson, & Tyler make the Heat worth watching. Also the fact that we have a really good defense which means most games will be close and worth watching. At the moment we're 4th in DEF EFF and 2nd in OPP FG%.

So glad I was able to find this post. Those were the Heat defensive numbers with Winslow. He has not played in a game since I made this post.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well nobody is going to stop LeBron, but certain guys can slow him down more than others. Look at Toronto- who would even cover LeBron without Carroll?

Im just looking at Toronto and their offense is basically tied with Golden States for the most efficient in the league, both at 114 points per 100 possessions- which is pretty insanely good- not just good- like freaking amazing.--i just looked at the passed 10 years and it would basically make them the best offense ever if they kept that up. GSW was only at 112 last year- only thing i saw close was Suns in 08-09 at 111.

What Toronto is doing offensively right now is downright ABSURD.

Cleveland's offense is amazing and they are only at 112 per 100 possessions.

Toronto is 2nd in field goal percentage in the entire league at 47.5% from the field and they are 4th in points in the entire NBA. Their offense has been out of this world.

Its hard for me to see how a guard who is historically pretty damn inefficient would help them more than a SF who can at least be somewhat respectable against the East's bevy of scoring wings in the East like LeBron, Paul George, Jimmy Butler, Carmelo Anthony etc....all teams they might see in the playoffs.

I mean Terrence Ross can easily play the backup 2/3 role..and hes shooting almost 50% from the floor and plays way more defense than Lou Williams.

Yes, it's terrific right now.

Do you anticipate that continuing the entire Season?

I'm pretty sceptical.

Especially with the historically, horrific , inefficiency of DeRozan.

I'm not buying the hype that he some how found the holy grail of shooting after signing that ginormous contract.

But, it would be awesome if he did.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So glad I was able to find this post. Those were the Heat defensive numbers with Winslow. He has not played in a game since I made this post.
again- dont you realize this is the exact same thing that you had before?- a claim about how good they are with zero stats to back it up.....in your previous post you said they were a top 5 defense...at least here you reference the stats that you claim back up your argument--- which are legit stats- but again- no backup of what those stats actually were. I can probably try and find the actual stats if i looked hard enough- and will probably do so later tonight- but i acknowledge the difficulty of finding splits for a certain month- though im pretty sure they are out there. basketballreference has a good splits sorter.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again- dont you realize this is the exact same thing that you had before?- a claim about how good they are with zero stats to back it up.....in your previous post you said they were a top 5 defense...at least here you reference the stats that you claim back up your argument--- which are legit stats- but again- no backup of what those stats actually were. I can probably try and find the actual stats if i looked hard enough- and will probably do so later tonight- but i acknowledge the difficulty of finding splits for a certain month- though im pretty sure they are out there. basketballreference has a good splits sorter.

Basketball reference doesn't seem to do splits for team defensive statistics. Neither does nba.com

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always thought that once LeBron left they should have rebuilt from the bottom up- instead they doubled down and now it looks like they are at the beginning of a long, painful rebuild. It happens though- just about everyone has to go through it once in a while unless you are the San Antonio Spurs.

So, you knew we'd also lose Bosh and/or his cap space for 2 years?
That is what provoked Riley to do what he did last summer.

I'm not so sure about your projected long rebuild.

I haven't studied the league, but the Heat will be in a very good cap space situation this summer.

I believe most teams in the East went all in last summer, and still aren't near elite enough to beat James.

You can hope, and you may be right, but I'll just wait and see.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, you knew we'd also lose Bosh and/or his cap space for 2 years?
That is what provoked Riley to do what he did last summer.

I'm not so sure about your projected long rebuild.

I haven't studied the league, but the Heat will be in a very good cap space situation this summer.

I believe most teams in the East went all in last summer, and still aren't near elite enough to beat James.

You can hope, and you may be right, but I'll just wait and see.

Just looking at the free agency list for the next years. Here are some names that I think the Heat should consider.

Paul Millsap
Taj Gibson
Steph Curry (if he plans on meeting with other teams)
Paul George (2018)
Chris Paul
Blake Griffin
Westbrook (2018)
Lamarcus Aldridge (2018)
Kyle Lowry
Gordon Hayward

A ton of big names out there. Get one of those and pick up a quality role player or 2 and the Heat are back in the playoffs next year or the following season

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just looking at the free agency list for the next years. Here are some names that I think the Heat should consider.

Paul Millsap
Taj Gibson
-Redacted
Paul George (2018)
Chris Paul
Blake Griffin
Westbrook (2018)
Lamarcus Aldridge (2018)
Kyle Lowry
Gordon Hayward

A ton of big names out there. Get one of those and pick up a quality role player or 2 and the Heat are back in the playoffs next year or the following season

Honestly I think Blake Griffin would be the ultimate prize on this list. He would fit perfectly as a high post big to pair with Whiteside. But more importantly, you could sell Griffin on this being his team and building around him. You'd already have a premier big to pair with him. A very good defensive wing in Winslow.

The biggest thing about Blake that is under-utlilzed in his game is his passing and play making. He's really, really great at that, but he doesn't get much of an opportunity because CP3 pounds the ball for 17 seconds of the shot clock every play. If you set up an offense around Blake, his game could take off. If healthy, even with just some simple role players around him, the Heat could have a quick turnaround to a potential top 3 team in the East. Then it would be a matter of Richardson and Winslow developing into decent 3 & D players. Dragic isn't going anywhere likely because of his contract. I really like Tyler Johnson as a combo guard off the bench. You might be able to find a taker for McRoberts contract but have to give up a pick.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who knew ESPN had Tuesday night doubleheaders now?

NBA is encroaching on that NFL market share. Need to keep having quality games on at all times.

Honestly I have had no interest in watching any of the Thursday night games for the NFL over any games on TNT, including mediocre games. The Thursday night games are pure shit for the NFL.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBA is encroaching on that NFL market share. Need to keep having quality games on at all times.

Honestly I have had no interest in watching any of the Thursday night games for the NFL over any games on TNT, including mediocre games. The Thursday night games are pure shit for the NFL.

Same. Last week was probably the first time since the NBA season where I opted to watch football over the NBA.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what the Warriors will look like next year. I think again, they're going to have a high turnover and not be able to keep a lot of guys. Iguodala and Livinston are getting up there in age, so I don't think either will likely be retained by the Warriors if they're looking to cash in on their last big contract. Pachulia took a really low contract figure and I doubt he repeats that for a second year. Durant is in line for a bit of a raise if he opts out (which he probably will) and Curry is in for a max contract.

I have a feeling that puts the Warriors right around the 95M mark in salary tied up to the following guys:

Durant
Curry
Thompson
Green
Looney
McCaw
Jones

The projected cap is 107. The Warriors do have some wiggle room because they can hold off on signing Curry to sign other free agents first, then retain him on their bird rights above the salary cap. It just depends on how much Lacob is willing to go into the luxury tax, but I'm sure he'd be willing to go a lot, considering the contending window of this team and the new arena being built. He needs to keep interest and momentum going for the new arena and it's interest.

The Warriors could conceivable be as high as the Cavs right now at 131M. Lots of things to keep in mind after the season is done.

If my estimation is correct, the Warriors will likely be around 70M in cap, not including Curry. Steph has a cap hold of 18M, which would put the overall salary at 88M. This means the Warriors would have about 29M in cap space to sign other free agents before resigning Steph.

Last edited:

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Paul Millsap
Taj Gibson
Paul George (2018)
Chris Paul
Blake Griffin
Westbrook (2018)
Lamarcus Aldridge (2018)
Kyle Lowry
Gordon Hayward

first. Taj Gibson?

2nd-

out of those guys, who do you think is an actual realistic pursuit option?

id contend you can chop Curry, George, Westbrook, Lowry, Hayward right off the list. Obviously I dont see Curry going anywhere, nor George...Westbrook if he leaves i cant see him going anywhere but Los Angeles, Lowry has gotten to the level he has in Toronto and i cant see him leaving there. Hayward i can see leaving but if he does- either Indiana- his hometown- or Boston- with Stevens- seem the overwhelmingly obvious choices- especially since they have rosters that are more ready to win.

So- that leaves, Griffin and Aldridge. Griffin would be a coup- but there will be fierce competition seeing as how everyone and there brother has boatloads of cap space and many will offer a more direct route to winning. Aldridge I suppose is a possibility, but i wouldnt want to build around Aldridge and give him that much money 2 years from now- and again- with tons of teams having cap room- the competition will be fierce for him and i dont even think he is a #1 guy- hed prob love playing with a center like Whiteside though that permits him to be a soft-perimeter player and not bang down low.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
first. Taj Gibson?

2nd-

id contend you can chop Curry, George, Westbrook, Lowry, Hayward right off the list. Obviously I dont see Curry going anywhere, nor George...Westbrook if he leaves i cant see him going anywhere but Los Angeles, Lowry has gotten to the level he has in Toronto and i cant see him leaving there. Hayward i can see leaving but if he does- either Indiana- his hometown- or Boston- with Stevens- seem the overwhelmingly obvious choices- especially since they have rosters that are more ready to win.

So- that leaves, Griffin and Aldridge. Griffin would be a coup- but there will be fierce competition seeing as how everyone and there brother has boatloads of cap space and many will offer a more direct route to winning. Aldridge I suppose is a possibility, but i wouldnt want to build around Aldridge and give him that much money 2 years from now- and again- with tons of teams having cap room- the competition will be fierce for him and i dont even think he is a #1 guy- hed prob love playing with a center like Whiteside though that permits him to be a soft-perimeter player and not bang down low.

I agree with almost all of this. The only thing I slightly disagree on is Hayward. He's going to be maxed no matter where he goes. I also think playing in Utah has not gotten him the recognition he might crave. Again, just speculating here, but if given the chance to be the man on a team built around his skills versus going to Boston and being just another cog, I think he'd opt for a larger role. Same applies to Indiana.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
first. Taj Gibson?

2nd-

George and Westbrook are both free agents in 2018. You don't know what moves the Heat are going to make in 2017 that may intrigue those guys in going to Miami. Lowry wanted to come to Miami back in 2010 so who knows. As for Hayward, a few years ago he signed an offer sheet with Charlotte so saying he's only leaving to go to his hometown or to play with his college coach is a ridiculous assumption.

2 things about free agency.

1) Its very unpredictable

2) You don't know what each player value. Some players value winning. Other value money. Others think about their family then you have others who value the city they're going to call home for the upcoming years.

My point is there are a lot of big names out there that I can see Miami making calls to and possibly setting up interviews in the next 2 summers. If they're able to land a quality role player and one of these stars, the rebuilding period is done

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Paul Millsap
Taj Gibson
Paul George (2018)
Chris Paul
Blake Griffin
Westbrook (2018)
Lamarcus Aldridge (2018)
Kyle Lowry
Gordon Hayward

LOL @ Steph being on your list. He isn't leaving GS.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL @ Steph being on your list. He isn't leaving GS.

I redacted him in my quoted post, but no one noticed, lol.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I redacted him in my quoted post, but no one noticed, lol.

I seen crazier things happens. Do I think it is likely? No which was why I put in parenthesis if he decided to take interviews from other teams.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Memphis and Cleveland looked like the best matchup tonight only to find out that Gasol and Kyrie are both resting tonight. Cavs should win rather easily now

Status
Not open for further replies.