• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really want Lonzo.....but not his dad.

The good thing is, he's not going to be able to do the shit in the NBA that he did at Chino Hills. The NBA has security to keep him out of the locker rooms. He'll still say stupid shit, but it won't have the effect that it does in high school and college.

I like Lonzo, but he doesn't play defense. That's a concern for me. Given the choice, I think I'd prefer Fultz. Having said that, there's something to be said for a guy wanting to play for your team. Lonzo apparently said that he'd rather be a Laker than be the #1 pick.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,784.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennett is a perfect example of just how unpredictable drafting a player is....

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you think it's big but think back when to Irving was on that 24-58 team......would you have been happy they were winning games at the end of the season against good teams or wanting them to lose? I think you would want them to win because it's showing signs of improvement and not lose games. If we're keeping it 100, my friend.

^^^This^^^

Of course it would be great to get a top 3 pick. However, as I've said since before the season started, not at the expense of developing the young guys already on the team.

The lottery is just that...a lottery. It's a crapshoot. Even if the Lakers had the 2nd worst record, there's no guarantee they keep their pick and even if they do, there's no guarantee that the player will pan out. Anthony Bennett is a perfect example.

One of the things that the Lakers have struggled with all season long is the ability to close out games. The last 2 games, they were able to do just that against playoff teams. That's some positive growth and momentum heading into the off season.

While it sucks that it could cost them a top 3 pick, I'm not going to complain. Those guys need all of the positives they can get as the season winds down.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you think it's big but think back when to Irving was on that 24-58 team......would you have been happy they were winning games at the end of the season against good teams or wanting them to lose? I think you would want them to win because it's showing signs of improvement and not lose games. If we're keeping it 100, my friend.
defintely wanthing them to lose

i mean- it would be years away anyway from them competing.

If i thought the subsequent year they would have a chance then MAYBE its a discussion---- but when they are ready to win a couple years from now, an extra 4-5 wins from a couple years ago , for me anyway, would rate as totally irrelevant.

weighing that against the most talented player the franchise has had since probably Kobe?

i mean- its a no-brainer.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,784.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
defintely wanthing them to lose

i mean- it would be years away anyway from them competing.

If i thought the subsequent year they would have a chance then MAYBE its a discussion---- but when they are ready to win a couple years from now, an extra 4-5 wins from a couple years ago , for me anyway, would rate as totally irrelevant.

The next year they drafted Bennett......I think 4-5 more wins would be much better since they absolutely whiffed on that #1 pick. That selection just goes to show how players don't always live up to their potential.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,784.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Bennett, he's still just 24 and playing in Turkey....he could find his way back into the league one day.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,784.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said Bennett was a BAD selection at the time on FN......totally whiffed on that one.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The next year they drafted Bennett......I think 4-5 more wins would be much better since they absolutely whiffed on that #1 pick. That selection just goes to show how players don't always live up to their potential.

Exactly. A teams first priority is the players already on the roster and developing them. They are the future of the franchise.

Not some guy that they may not get to pick anyway and may not pan out if they do.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Bennett, he's still just 24 and playing in Turkey....he could find his way back into the league one day.

The Heat will pick him up. He and Whiteside will be all stars who lead them to the finals where they win Co-MVP's and Wiggy will say that Whiteside is slow, plodding, was once kicked out the league and that Bennett sucks. :heh:

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Heat will pick him up. He and Whiteside will be all stars who lead them to the finals where they win Co-MVP's and Wiggy will say that Whiteside is slow, plodding, was once kicked out the league and that Bennett sucks. :heh:

No way Jose! The Heat will give Michael Beasley a max contract this summer.:D

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no guarantee that happens. Anthony Bennett proves the point.
LOL

cmon- thats the most disengenuine argument i have ever heard.

that draft was TERRIBLE.

This draft is hyped as even better than the Wiggins draft.

Comparing Anthony Bennett to Ball, JAckson or Fultz is stupid. If they were in the same draft Bennett doesnt go NEAR those guys.

But you are right- there is absolutely ZERO evidence out there that Ball, JAckson or Fultz will be a franchise player--- they could all fall flat on their faces and be garbage...that is certainly a possibility---- just not probable.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean i guess we shall see.

If i were betting--- 3-4 year down the line- LaVar Ball, Fultz and Jackson will all be better than any of the players currently on the Lakers.

I mean- the craziest thing is--- its not even that they are "tanking" for draft position- they are tanking to keep TWO first round picks.

teams tank for draft position ALONE all the time. Too value 3-4 extra wins over a better chance of KEEPING MULTIPLE first round picks- is honestly the dumbest shit in the world.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

cmon- thats the most disengenuine argument i have ever heard.

that draft was TERRIBLE.

This draft is hyped as even better than the Wiggins draft.

Comparing Anthony Bennett to Ball, JAckson or Fultz is stupid. If they were in the same draft Bennett doesnt go NEAR those guys.

But you are right- there is absolutely ZERO evidence out there that Ball, JAckson or Fultz will be a franchise player--- they could all fall flat on their faces and be garbage...that is certainly a possibility---- just not probable.

It doesn't matter. The fact is, you never know how the lottery is going to turn out. In the Lakers case, they don't even know if they would get to keep their pick and there's no guarantee the player will pan out if they do.

And what is stupid is thinking that a team should sacrifice the development of the players they have for the ability to draft a guy who may not pan out.

You never ask players to not give their best effort or to lose games and you don't sit players that you're trying to develop in order to get more ping pong balls. It's literally the exact opposite of everything you have spent all season trying to teach them.

Last edited:

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If i were betting--- 3-4 year down the line- Lavar Ball, Fultz and Jackson will all be better than any of the players currently on the Lakers.

:wtf2:

Wrong sport. Lavar said the other day since he knows his son will dominate the league from day 1 he's gonna focus his attention on an NFL career. Did you know he kicked a 75 yard FG?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter. The fact is, you never know how the lottery is going to turn out. In the Lakers case, they don't even know if they would get to keep their pick and their's no guarantee the player will pan out if they do.

And what is stupid is thinking that a team should sacrifice the development of the players they have for the ability to draft a guy who may not pan out.

You never ask players to not give their best effort or to lose games and you don't sit players that you're trying to develop in order to get more ping pong balls. It's literally the exact opposite of everything you have spent all season trying to teach them.
uhhh------- "sacrifice the development of their players"

what does that even mean? Im not saying to tell the players not to give their best---- I would never advocate for that---- its up to the front office and the coaching staff to do everything they can to give their team the best chance at winning a title. Losing these games does that.

I mean- the Suns have infinitely less than the Lakers on the line--- they are simply tanking in order to have a better chance at better draft position. To actually have a pick on the line? not only one pick, but multiple picks? i mean- i cant ever remember a scenario where so much is on the line.

2-3 years from now- someone telling me that winning 3-4 extra games at the end of the 2017 is why Deangelo Russell is a better player is so unbelievably stupid it blows my mind.

i mean- balance those two's.

2 first round picks- one a top 3----

or

3-4 extra wins when you are still at least 2 seasons out from competing anyway.

i mean- its cmmon sense. for me anyway. but then again- i saw how it worked in Cleveland.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LaVar Ball

Why the fuck would LaVar Ball be on the Lakers. The man is like 50 something years old?

I mean- the craziest thing is--- its not even that they are "tanking" for draft position- they are drafting to keep TWO first round picks.

teams tank for draft position ALONE all the time. Too value 3-4 extra wins over a better chance of KEEPING MULTIPLE first round picks- is honestly the dumbest shit in the world.

The fact that you keep posting this tripe shows that you literally know nothing about player development and team sports.

The Lakers have done what they can to tank. They traded Lou Williams, shut down Deng and Mozgov and threw the kids in the deep end of the pool. What the fuck are they supposed to do? Try to drown them because they may have started figuring out how to swim?

That's completely idiotic.

Status
Not open for further replies.