• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why the fuck would LaVar Ball be on the Lakers. The man is like 50 something years old?

The fact that you keep posting this tripe shows that you literally know nothing about player development and team sports.

The Lakers have done what they can to tank. They traded Lou Williams, shut down Deng and Mozgov and threw the kids in the deep end of the pool. What the fuck are they supposed to do? Try to drown them because they may have started figuring out how to swim?

That's completely idiotic.
id sit guys--- say they are resting or nursing injuries

which brings me back to the Cavs

you really think Kyrie Irving was ALWAYS hurt at the end of the year? You think when the media asked Kyrie why he was sitting outa nd he responded "what injury do i have this time"- its because he was actually hurt to the point where he couldnt play? lol.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The good thing is, he's not going to be able to do the shit in the NBA that he did at Chino Hills. The NBA has security to keep him out of the locker rooms. He'll still say stupid shit, but it won't have the effect that it does in high school and college.

I like Lonzo, but he doesn't play defense. That's a concern for me. Given the choice, I think I'd prefer Fultz. Having said that, there's something to be said for a guy wanting to play for your team. Lonzo apparently said that he'd rather be a Laker than be the #1 pick.

I like Lonzo as well but Russell doesn't play much defense either, at least so far. Not sure if pairing those two are the best unless they are getting rid of Russell.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
uhhh------- "sacrifice the development of their players"

what does that even mean? Im not saying to tell the players not to give their best---- I would never advocate for that---- its up to the front office and the coaching staff to do everything they can to give their team the best chance at winning a title.

Seriously?!? What does player development mean? Really?!?

One of the things that the Lakers have struggled with all season long, is the ability to close games. You and I even had a discussion after the clinic the Cavs gave them on exactly how that's done, that it's one of the hardest things for a young team to learn. That is part of young teams development.

Also, it is not on the coaches to assist in tanking. The coaches job is to develop the players and win games. It is solely on the front office to tank if that appears to be in the teams best long term interest. The Lakers FO has done what they can. If the kids win too many games down the stretch and it costs them the pick, then that's how it goes sometimes. You just appreciate the positive momentum they built going into the off season and hope they can continue it next season.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Lonzo as well but Russell doesn't play much defense either, at least so far. Not sure if pairing those two are the best unless they are getting rid of Russell.

Now that could be an interesting combo. Lonzo's dad would be sitting next to Jack Nicholson yelling @ the refs & the opposing team reminding them how much they suck. Russell could run around video taping as many teammates as possible. And then poor Luke Walton would get the blame. Clearing the way for Swappy P to fulfill his destiny as the next Laker great.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sit the very guys that you're trying to develop and teach how to win when they know they aren't hurt and the purpose is to lose? Seriously?!?

It's literally the exact opposite of everything you've drilled into their heads since day 1.

you really think Kyrie Irving was ALWAYS hurt at the end of the year? You think when the media asked Kyrie why he was sitting outa nd he responded "what injury do i have this time"- its because he was actually hurt to the point where he couldnt play? lol.

Kyrie Irving missed 31 games his rookie season and 23 games his 2nd season. Yes, he was hurt.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If they take Lonzo, or anyone of the top 3 for that matter (since it looks like they are all PG's), I expect Russell to slide over to the 2 spot or be traded. Luke has already been playing him there and he has looked good.

It would be a great pairing offensively, but defensively it would be a struggle. I think both are smart enough and good enough to at least be able to learn to play serviceable defense. It's just a matter of how willing they are to put in the work. But given a choice, I think I might want a guy with more of defensive mindset.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter. The fact is, you never know how the lottery is going to turn out. In the Lakers case, they don't even know if they would get to keep their pick and their's no guarantee the player will pan out if they do.

And what is stupid is thinking that a team should sacrifice the development of the players they have for the ability to draft a guy who may not pan out.

You never ask players to not give their best effort or to lose games and you don't sit players that you're trying to develop in order to get more ping pong balls. It's literally the exact opposite of everything you have spent all season trying to teach them.

The lottery as you've said is a crap shoot. I remember in 2008 where we won 15 games. We had by far the worst record in the NBA. This was the draft where Beasley, Rose, Love, Westbrook and I believe Love were in the same class. The Bulls a better record at 33-49 yet they got the number 1 pick and we got number 2.

Tanking because of lottery balls seems fool hardy to me. Besides, at some point you have to start progressing as a team like the Thunder. They spent a couple of years in the lottery and grew each year. Drafted and evaluated talent well - that's the key, not tanking.

5 years from now, the sixers and suns will still likely be in the process of tanking. It's what losing franchises do.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why the fuck would LaVar Ball be on the Lakers. The man is like 50 something years old?

The fact that you keep posting this tripe shows that you literally know nothing about player development and team sports.

The Lakers have done what they can to tank. They traded Lou Williams, shut down Deng and Mozgov and threw the kids in the deep end of the pool. What the fuck are they supposed to do? Try to drown them because they may have started figuring out how to swim?

That's completely idiotic.

You don't go from the worst team in the lottery to legit title contender in one year.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't go from the worst team in the lottery to legit title contender in one year.
definitely true

why i dont think sacrificing 3-4 wins at the end of a lost season potentially years out from contention is a big deal.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean i guess we shall see.

If i were betting--- 3-4 year down the line- LaVar Ball, Fultz and Jackson will all be better than any of the players currently on the Lakers.

I mean- the craziest thing is--- its not even that they are "tanking" for draft position- they are tanking to keep TWO first round picks.

teams tank for draft position ALONE all the time. Too value 3-4 extra wins over a better chance of KEEPING MULTIPLE first round picks- is honestly the dumbest shit in the world.
Organizations tank.

Players try to win.

I totally understand your point.

But, It's not Rocket Science.

Some of these guys are auditioning for their next Teams.

So, they play hard.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The lottery as you've said is a crap shoot. I remember in 2008 where we won 15 games. We had by far the worst record in the NBA. This was the draft where Beasley, Rose, Love, Westbrook and I believe Love were in the same class. The Bulls a better record at 33-49 yet they got the number 1 pick and we got number 2.

Tanking because of lottery balls seems fool hardy to me. Besides, at some point you have to start progressing as a team like the Thunder. They spent a couple of years in the lottery and grew each year. Drafted and evaluated talent well - that's the key, not tanking.

5 years from now, the sixers and suns will still likely be in the process of tanking. It's what losing franchises do.

Exactly and the bold is the main point. At some point, you have switch out of tank mode and start improving. The Thunder are a great example. They got into the lottery a couple of times, developed their guys, moved on and made other moves to help round out their team.

There's a reason that some teams seem to be in perpetual tank mode. If your team doesn't progress, it just becomes what the franchise does instead of win.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,784.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean i guess we shall see.

If i were betting--- 3-4 year down the line- LaVar Ball, Fultz and Jackson will all be better than any of the players currently on the Lakers.

Even over Russell? I get that you don't like the Lakers but by most accounts.....Russ had a pretty damn good 2nd season.....

15.7ppg, 4.8apg, 3.5rpg, and 1.4spg

Kobe Bryant's 2nd season: 15.4ppg, 3.1rpg, 2.5apg, and 0.9spg

Now, I'm not saying he'll be Kobe, but those are some very similar numbers.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Organizations tank.

Players try to win.

I totally understand your point.

But, It's not Rocket Science.

Some of these guys are auditioning for their next Teams.

So, they play hard.

And some of them are trying to build something positive going into the off season because they are part of the teams future, so they also play hard.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even over Russell? I get that you don't like the Lakers but by most accounts.....Russ had a pretty damn good 2nd season.....

15.7ppg, 4.8apg, 3.5rpg, and 1.4spg

Kobe Bryant's 2nd season: 15.4ppg, 3.1rpg, 2.5apg, and 0.9spg

Now, I'm not saying he'll be Kobe, but those are some very similar numbers.

And his numbers have really improved since Luke started playing him more at the 2 spot. I think that's a more natural position for him.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like them together.

Deangelo is a scorer who can create.

He's not a pass first, playmaker.

Ball is a distributor who can score.

Both have great size and have complimentary games.

Think poor man's Wall and Beal.

...but, Lonzo doesn't have Walls speed and is a notch lower in athleticism.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol ill give whiteside that one
giphy.gif

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

which brings me back to the Cavs

Depends on the Team.

Obviously, it's better to keep the pick if you are the Lakers, even if it's to use as trade bait.

But, what about a Team like the Timberwolves?

Do they really need to add another youngin?

They need to start showing some results more than needing another one and done guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.