• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THAT Spurs team as constructed them might've steamroll the Cavs AND the Dubs...

Yeah and it sucks that they hit their stride right when they made the Finals. Still not as bad as losing to the Mavs though. That one stung. I at least knew the Spurs were just the flat out better team.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3. Hassan Whiteside's touch
Whiteside has been surging at the right time, with Dion Waiters recuperating at the best medical facility on Waiters Island. (FYI: All hospitals on Waiters Island specialize in the repair and rehabilitation of shooting arms. Care is free.)

Whiteside has been pigeonholed as a pick-and-roll dive guy -- a slower and meaner version of DeAndre Jordan -- and that's mostly what he is within Miami's relentless drive-and-kick machine. But he has an uncanny soft touch on flip shots, putbacks, and the occasional midrange jumper. His shots sort of deaden on the rim before dropping.

When defenders plug up Whiteside's path to the hoop, he'll loft one of the longest-distance floaters you'll ever see:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18985014/zach-lowe-10-things-like-featuring-nikola-jokic-nba

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah and it sucks that they hit their stride right when they made the Finals. Still not as bad as losing to the Mavs though. That one stung. I at least knew the Spurs were just the flat out better team.

agreed. they imo SHOULD have beaten that 2011 Mavs team...

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chances are when playoffs start, Cavs will get many friendly whistles.
League has to make that money up to the TV networks.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think you are trying to make it sound like the Cavs are a threat to lose in the Eastern Conference when they arent.

and i mean you are right- their defense has been rough lately- worse then rough.

If you are saying they should be worried about not "coasting" through the East- i mean- i think that says it all right.

Here's the problem with "flipping the switch." Sometimes, when you "flip the switch" the lights don't come on. I remember 2 or 3 season during Shaq/Kobe where the Lakers "flipped the switch."

The first time, the lights came on and they completed their 3-peat. The next couple of times, the lights stayed off and they didn't win another title. Had they not relied on "flipping the switch," they may have at least one more title.

Can the Cavs "flip the switch" and at least get out of the East. More than likely. However, if they don't get their defense sorted out, it's highly unlikely that they get past the Warriors, Spurs or maybe even the Rockets. It also increases the chance that they get upset before they get to the finals.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is hilarious how everyone except Wiggy realize the Cavs defense is an issue. And I'm not talking about on just SportsHoopla but wiggy think they're some great defensive team. You really can't make this stuff up.

They're a bad defensive team. Simple as that.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the problem with "flipping the switch." Sometimes, when you "flip the switch" the lights don't come on. I remember 2 or 3 season during Shaq/Kobe where the Lakers "flipped the switch."

The first time, the lights came on and they completed their 3-peat. The next couple of times, the lights stayed off and they didn't win another title. Had they not relied on "flipping the switch," they may have at least one more title.

Can the Cavs "flip the switch" and at least get out of the East. More than likely. However, if they don't get their defense sorted out, it's highly unlikely that they get past the Warriors, Spurs or maybe even the Rockets. It also increases the chance that they get upset before they get to the finals.

And usually with flipping the switch, that only applies to top players. I don't think there are any switch for role players to flip.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please dont tell me thats what you are relying on in thinking the Heat have a chance. A March regular season game. lol. If it is- its gonna be a helluva let down for you.

This why everyone knows you're full of shit and why you are the board punching bag. You talked endless amounts of shit about how pissed off Lebron and the Cavs were and how the Heat were going to get blown out. You said that the Cavs would be up by at least 20 during the game.

Those things didn't happen, the Cavs got their asses kicked in their own house and instead of giving credit where it's due, you post bullshit about how it's a game in March.

Remember how you've posted that you always admit when you're wrong. Well, you were wrong and didn't admit it.

Just give credit where it's due and stfu.

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And usually with flipping the switch, that only applies to top players. I don't think there are any switch for role players to flip.

what tf12 posted about those Lakers teams were EXACTLY what i was thinking. that "on switch" is NOT guaranteed to work...

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

well- i agree with you- a lakers fan would know better than anyone- sometimes you can- and sometimes you cant flip a switch

i dont think this is necesarily an indication that the Cavs are being lazy- i just think its an indication that they have had no contunity.

its nice adding Korver and Williams and Williams- but you sacrifice some of that continuity- combine that with injuries to Korver, Love, JR-- and these guys just havent been on the court that much together.

you know how hard it is to win games in the NBA when the players on the court have barely played together? How many minutes do yout hink Love and Smith and Korver and Deron etc. havea ctually played together?

Do you think they instinctually know whether to switch- go over or under that pick, who is responsible toge t back on D, what system they want to play against certain players...etc.

its why i think they will be fine---- everyone is FINALLY healthy and out on the court together. There are just so many smart players on this team- LeBron of course is a genius, Korver and Deron Williams and Love - etc....

but we shall see.

If we are sitting here in 2 months and the Cavs have lost in the East or have been pushed to 7 games- then people will be fully in their right to say "i told you so"

however- im fairly certain ill be the one having hte last laugh---- but- as always- we shall see.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This why everyone knows you're full of shit and why you are the board punching bag. You talked endless amounts of shit about how pissed off Lebron and the Cavs were and how the Heat were going to get blown out. You said that the Cavs would be up by at least 20 during the game.

Those things didn't happen, the Cavs got their asses kicked in their own house and instead of giving credit where it's due, you post bullshit about how it's a game in March.

Remember how you've posted that you always admit when you're wrong. Well, you were wrong and didn't admit it.

Just give credit where it's due and stfu.
im just wondering how that effects the playoffs though?

Warriors beat the shit out of the Cavs last year- what did it mean in the playoffs? Orlando has owned Miami this year- does that make them better? would i pick Orlando in a playoff series against Miami? of course not.

forgive me if i dont attach much importance to a game where the CAvs didnt have Love,s mith (and i dont think theyh ad Korver either, did htey?) in March- against the Heat. You are right- great regular season win by the Heat. But i just think it has ZEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO relevance towards any playoff series.

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im just wondering how that effects the playoffs though?

Warriors beat the shit out of the Cavs last year- what did it mean in the playoffs? Orlando has owned Miami this year- does that make them better? would i pick Orlando in a playoff series against Miami? of course not.

forgive me if i dont attach much importance to a game where the CAvs didnt have Love,s mith (and i dont think theyh ad Korver either, did htey?) in March- against the Heat. You are right- great regular season win by the Heat. But i just think it has ZEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO relevance towards any playoff series.

:yawning:

but YOU said that game was gonna be at least a 20 point blowout...

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i mean- its good hes not the leader of the team- if he was they would be really screwed. Griffin is mentally weak thoguh.

I've said all along, when the toughest guy on your team is your point guard, you aren't winning a title. If Blake or DJ had even half of CP3's toughness, the Clips may well be the favorites to win the whole thing.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rousey represents the Lakers and Nuggets offense.

The face she's punching represents the Cavs defense.

giphy.gif

Yeah, I love my Lakers and they are a solid team on offense, but when they drop 120 points on you...you need to take a good long look at your defense.

I'm not 100% sure because I just caught it in passing, but I'm pretty sure that I saw a graphic that showed that over the last month, the only team worse than the Cavs defensively, is the Lakers.

And the Cavs don't have the excuse of playing a bunch of 19 and 20 year olds.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Spurs team is the best title team in the last decade. I'm waiting to hear someone say otherwise.

Talent wise, they weren't. On paper, that Heat team was more talented.

Having said that, that performance the Spurs put on in that finals was the closest to perfect play that I remember seeing. And I watched my first finals in 1970.

It was absolute textbook on how you play the game. I remember that even Heat fans were in awe of what they were seeing. When people talk about teams "playing on another level," that's what they are talking about.

Couldn't even make fun of Lebron and the Heat for that one. It would have felt like taking something away from what the Spurs did.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talent wise, they weren't. On paper, that Heat team was more talented.

Having said that, that performance the Spurs put on in that finals was the closest to perfect play that I remember seeing. And I watched my first finals in 1970.

It was absolute textbook on how you play the game. I remember that even Heat fans were in awe of what they were seeing. When people talk about teams "playing on another level," that's what they are talking about.

Couldn't even make fun of Lebron and the Heat for that one. It would have felt like taking something away from what the Spurs did.

Crazy thing about that series is I'm not sure if you remember but Miami were the better team for most of game 1 and probably would have won if he didn't have his period during the game. If they go on to win game 1 then it's probably a different series. Not saying we win the series but it is a 6 or 7 game series IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.