• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i

Dave McMenaminESPN Staff Writer
Tyronn Lue confirmed that Tristan Thompson, despite needing impromptu dental work done in Los Angeles on Tuesday which caused him to miss practice, will continue his ironman streak with Game No. 440 in a row Wednesday against the Denver Nuggets.

2cbb04e7ef9266e1e57a9b0e75bc555f.jpg

the NBA's Iron Man- Tristan Thompson.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i

Dave McMenaminESPN Staff Writer
Tyronn Lue confirmed that Tristan Thompson, despite needing impromptu dental work done in Los Angeles on Tuesday which caused him to miss practice, will continue his ironman streak with Game No. 440 in a row Wednesday against the Denver Nuggets.

2cbb04e7ef9266e1e57a9b0e75bc555f.jpg

the NBA's Iron Man- Tristan Thompson.

What ended up happening? I saw the play where Randle caught him in the mouth with an inadvertent elbow and saw him leave the game. But never heard what the actual injury was.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is actually an article about players "sliding into DM's" on twitter while partying- some dude named "purple" in Miami--- etc. etc...

but one of the most interesting parts of it that i read was this

Inside the 'Tinderization' of today's NBA

Something strange happens when NBA teams play on the road these days, a trend line that baffles statheads. In the 1987-88 season, home teams won an astounding 67.9 percent of games, boasting an average win margin of 5.8 points, the highest on record. The advantage was so profound that home teams, on average, played at the level of a 55-win team.

Then, in less than a decade, the home-court advantage gap was sliced in half. By 1996-97, home teams won only 57.5 percent of the time, by an average margin of only 2.6 points. And now, after hovering around 60 percent for most of the 2000s, home-court advantage is dropping again. This season, it sits at an all-time low of 57.4 percent.

What's causing the drop? Are refs monitored better and therefore less susceptible to the home crowd's jeers? Are the crowds themselves quieter, populated as they are by iPhone-gripping, corporate-ticket-holding fans? Is something even weirder going on? I spoke with dozens of players, coaches, team trainers and front-office execs, and most think the same thing is happening: NBA players are sleeping more and drinking less.

anyone want to posit a theory as to why home court was such an advantage in the 80's- and now now it is at an All Time low?

TJL

Patriarch
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is actually an article about players "sliding into DM's" on twitter while partying- some dude named "purple" in Miami--- etc. etc...

Something strange happens when NBA teams play on the road these days, a trend line that baffles statheads. In the 1987-88 season, home teams won an astounding 67.9 percent of games, boasting an average win margin of 5.8 points, the highest on record. The advantage was so profound that home teams, on average, played at the level of a 55-win team.

Then, in less than a decade, the home-court advantage gap was sliced in half. By 1996-97, home teams won only 57.5 percent of the time, by an average margin of only 2.6 points. And now, after hovering around 60 percent for most of the 2000s, home-court advantage is dropping again. This season, it sits at an all-time low of 57.4 percent.

What's causing the drop? Are refs monitored better and therefore less susceptible to the home crowd's jeers? Are the crowds themselves quieter, populated as they are by iPhone-gripping, corporate-ticket-holding fans? Is something even weirder going on? I spoke with dozens of players, coaches, team trainers and front-office execs, and most think the same thing is happening: NBA players are sleeping more and drinking less.

anyone want to posit a theory as to why home court was such an advantage in the 80's- and now now it is at an All Time low?
I just posted that lol

TJL

Patriarch
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Guys don't go out drinking as much at clubs, because you don't have to go out to get laid now.

That's what most of the article is about lol

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What ended up happening? I saw the play where Randle caught him in the mouth with an inadvertent elbow and saw him leave the game. But never heard what the actual injury was.
he had to get a bunch of dental work done apparently. hes suppose dto play though tonight

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deng and Mozgov were paid to play 82 games- and give the Lakers a better chance to win-- why arent they playing?

because- even though it doesnt help them THAT night- its whats best for their overall team going forward. Same exact thing as the Cavs and LeBron.

NO team has a duty to try and win every night without figuring how it plays into their long term goals.
I don't think anybody is saying LeBron, Kyrie, and Love should be playing every night that they're healthy. Resting them at the beginning of a 4 game road trip after having the previous day off doesn't make sense except for Love who is returning from an injury, taking off the last game of a long road trip does make some sense. And for Mosgov/Deng it could be a case of them just not performing at the level the Lakers were expecting and them being benched for younger guys who have shown potential. Every player is paid to play, just because those 2 are paid more doesn't mean they have to play more.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys don't go out drinking as much at clubs, because you don't have to go out to get laid now.

That's what most of the article is about lol
lol.......exactly

so what does it come down to?

THEY GET MORE REST!!!!! LOL

uhh man....its just so great.

TJL

Patriarch
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol.......exactly

so what does it come down to?

THEY GET MORE REST!!!!! LOL

uhh man....its just so great.
Yea, so they shouldn't have to sit out games then

MJ would go on an all night bender and then drop 45

LeBron can't even fuck a tinder bitch and get 10 hours of sleep without sitting

That didn't go as you planned, did it?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anybody is saying LeBron, Kyrie, and Love should be playing every night that they're healthy. Resting them at the beginning of a 4 game road trip after having the previous day off doesn't make sense except for Love who is returning from an injury, taking off the last game of a long road trip does make some sense. And for Mosgov/Deng it could be a case of them just not performing at the level the Lakers were expecting and them being benched for younger guys who have shown potential. Every player is paid to play, just because those 2 are paid more doesn't mean they have to play more.
oh i TOTALLY 100% agree with benching Deng and Mozgov- i wouldve never signed them in the first place obviously as you now have nearly a $140 million in salary taking DNP CDs------ but if a team can purposefully not win by playing players that are young over vets that would help you win more---- i just dont see how that is any different than sitting LeBron and having him rest.

Both situations the team is what is doing best for THEIR TEAM. If Deng and Mozgov played would the Lakers prob have an extra 2-3 wins? yah- of course- is that in their best interest? of course not. There best interest is losing games to get a better chance at keeping their pick and developing the young guys- if that costs them some wins- who cares?

the Cavs are only doing what is in their best interest- which is the only obligation they have.

IF the League wants to change the rules on tanking, or wants to change the rules on resting to make teams pay for it--- then its on them.

The only obligation your team has is to try and do what is best for their organization working towards that ultimate goal of winning a title.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, so they shouldn't have to sit out games then

MJ would go on an all night bender and then drop 45

LeBron can't even fuck a tinder bitch and get 10 hours of sleep without sitting

That didn't go as you planned, did it?
MJ never slept. I dont know if hes even human.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's just not a soft bitch
No one has played more games then LeBron the last 6 years in the league and hes leading the league in minutes played.

I mean- thats really all he should say when anyone is dumb enough to call him out on resting.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he had to get a bunch of dental work done apparently. hes suppose dto play though tonight

Must have broken a couple of teeth or at least loosened them.

Knew it wasn't good when he left the game. He's a tough dude.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Must have broken a couple of teeth or at least loosened them.

Knew it wasn't good when he left the game. He's a tough dude.
OS ANGELES -- Tristan Thompson had his two front teeth pushed back into his mouth by Lakers forward Julius Randle's elbow on Sunday night, drawing blood and knocking the durable Cavs center from the game.

Thompson went straight to the locker room with 3:15 left in the third quarter of the Cavs' 125-120 win and did not return. He was spitting blood and needed the Lakers' team dentist to pull his teeth forward, back into place, and then secure them with metal braces.

Needless to say, Thompson did not return.

"If I didn't have a good mouth guard, I'd have a tough time having a good dinner tonight, so, God bless my mouth guard," Thompson said afterwards, showing off his braces to reporters. "It's part of the game. Whoever says basketball ain't a contact sport definitely lied."

The contact was apparently inadvertent. Thompson finished with four points and 10 rebounds in this his 439th consecutive game -- an NBA record among active players.

Thompson was asked if he was worried about the streak when Randle's elbow first crashed into his mouth, and he said "no, I was worried about my mouth, making sure that my two front teeth didn't fall out. I'm glad they're here. Doc did a great job."

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every player is paid to play, just because those 2 are paid more doesn't mean they have to play more.

This is where I disagree. No one is paying top dollar to watch Deng and Mozgov and the tv partners aren't paying billions of dollars to broadcast them to a national audience. The fans and tv partners are paying to watch and broadcast star players.

They are being paid more because more is expected of them.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where I disagree. No one is paying top dollar to watch Deng and Mozgov and the tv partners aren't paying billions of dollars to broadcast them to a national audience. The fans and tv partners are paying to watch and broadcast star players.

ohh...so only stars have to play on national TV then right? cmon....that makes zero sense.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"If I didn't have a good mouth guard, I'd have a tough time having a good dinner tonight, so, God bless my mouth guard," Thompson said afterwards, showing off his braces to reporters. "It's part of the game. Whoever says basketball ain't a contact sport definitely lied."

Love this quote. Gotta say, dude ain't soft.

Tristan Thompson had his two front teeth pushed back into his mouth by Lakers forward Julius Randle's elbow on Sunday night, drawing blood and knocking the durable Cavs center from the game.

Thompson went straight to the locker room with 3:15 left in the third quarter of the Cavs' 125-120 win and did not return. He was spitting blood and needed the Lakers' team dentist to pull his teeth forward, back into place, and then secure them with metal braces.

Reading that makes my teeth hurt.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ohh...so only stars have to play on national TV then right? cmon....that makes zero sense.

It makes perfect sense. It's not fair, but it is life. There's a reason guys like Lebron, KD, etc. make the money they make and others don't.

As I said, they are paid more because more is expected from them. When you become a full grown adult, you'll understand that's how the world works.

You're going to be a lawyer. Hopefully for you, you will be successful enough to be able to charge people a lot of money for your services. If you are, you'll learn that your clients will demand a lot more from you than a less expensive attorney.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was referring to Deng and Mosgov playing more than the rest of their teammates, they shouldn't be forced to getting more PT because of the money they signed for. I agree that certain players on certain teams are why those teams get games on national TV. The NBA wouldn't have cared about airing GSW/SAS last week if they knew who wasn't gonna be playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.