• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was referring to Deng and Mosgov playing more than the rest of their teammates, they shouldn't be forced to getting more PT because of the money they signed for. I agree that certain players on certain teams are why those teams get games on national TV. The NBA wouldn't have cared about airing GSW/SAS last week if they knew who wasn't gonna be playing.

My bad. I misunderstood. Deng and Mozgov are a bit of an outlier anyway. They were signed to contracts that no one else was going to give them because Jim Buss was trying to save his own ass. Under normal circumstances, no one gives them what Buss did.

On the bold, I think that part of that is on the NBA. They need to make some sort of definite rule on resting and enforce it. At the very least, they should say no resting if your game is being televised nationally. That shit that the Warriors and Cavs pulled over the past 2 Saturdays cost them a lot of money.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh i TOTALLY 100% agree with benching Deng and Mozgov- i wouldve never signed them in the first place obviously as you now have nearly a $140 million in salary taking DNP CDs------ but if a team can purposefully not win by playing players that are young over vets that would help you win more---- i just dont see how that is any different than sitting LeBron and having him rest.

Both situations the team is what is doing best for THEIR TEAM. If Deng and Mozgov played would the Lakers prob have an extra 2-3 wins? yah- of course- is that in their best interest? of course not. There best interest is losing games to get a better chance at keeping their pick and developing the young guys- if that costs them some wins- who cares?

the Cavs are only doing what is in their best interest- which is the only obligation they have.

IF the League wants to change the rules on tanking, or wants to change the rules on resting to make teams pay for it--- then its on them.

The only obligation your team has is to try and do what is best for their organization working towards that ultimate goal of winning a title.
The difference is LeBron is a superstar and the game that he sat out was on national TV, while Mosgov and Deng are role players who might have helped the Lakers win an extra game or two if they were playing. If LeBron had sat out a game that wasn't on ABC or ESPN or TNT then maybe this wouldn't have become a big topic. Resting a guy isn't a problem, even though I think it's being done too much.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference is LeBron is a superstar and the game that he sat out was on national TV, while Mosgov and Deng are role players who might have helped the Lakers win an extra game or two if they were playing. If LeBron had sat out a game that wasn't on ABC or ESPN or TNT then maybe this wouldn't have become a big topic. Resting a guy isn't a problem, even though I think it's being done too much.

Exactly. They were also not at the end of a long road trip, they were off the day before, didn't have to fly to another city after the game and had a perfect opponent to rest against the next night.

While the Warriors caught some flack for doing it the Saturday before, they didn't catch as much because it was at the end of an 8 games, 8 different cities, 11,000 mile trip.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad. I misunderstood. Deng and Mozgov are a bit of an outlier anyway. They were signed to contracts that no one else was going to give them because Jim Buss was trying to save his own ass. Under normal circumstances, no one gives them what Buss did.

On the bold, I think that part of that is on the NBA. They need to make some sort of definite rule on resting and enforce it. At the very least, they should say no resting if your game is being televised nationally. That shit that the Warriors and Cavs pulled over the past 2 Saturdays cost them a lot of money.
Those did seem like desperate moves to make the team good or at least not near the bottom of the standings, which obviously failed. The Mosgov deal especially, I thought Deng would be better.
The NBA should do something, until teams actually get in trouble for resting players it'll keep happening including with nationally televised games.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. They were also not at the end of a long road trip, they were off the day before, didn't have to fly to another city after the game and had a perfect opponent to rest against the next night.

While the Warriors caught some flack for doing it the Saturday before, they didn't catch as much because it was at the end of an 8 games, 8 different cities, 11,000 mile trip.
I mentioned that earlier, it makes some sense to rest guys at the end of a long road trip. The Cavs had Friday off and both Monday and Tuesday off after the weekend B2B. If they wanted Love to sit out one of those games because he missed a lot of time due to injury it's understandable, but why do Kyrie and LeBron need to rest?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mentioned that earlier, it makes some sense to rest guys at the end of a long road trip. The Cavs had Friday off and both Monday and Tuesday off after the weekend B2B. If they wanted Love to sit out one of those games because he missed a lot of time due to injury it's understandable, but why do Kyrie and LeBron need to rest?

Makes no sense. 2 games in 5 days is too much of a workload

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those did seem like desperate moves to make the team good or at least not near the bottom of the standings, which obviously failed. The Mosgov deal especially, I thought Deng would be better.
The NBA should do something, until teams actually get in trouble for resting players it'll keep happening including with nationally televised games.

Yeah, they were definitely desperate moves.

I thought Deng would be better too. The Lakers were hoping Mozgov would at least play like he did before his injury. They weren't total wastes. They at least mentored the young guys. Mozgov helped with Zubac's development and Deng did the same with Ingram and Russell. Heck, even the way they handled being benched taught the young guys a lot about being a professional.

Funny thing is, if Jim had not signed them and just gone with the kids or at least signed them for a lot less, he and Mitch might still have their jobs.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree. While I don't understand why they did it the way they did, in a way, I'm glad they played vs. the Lakers. I think it was good for the kids. Despite losing, they played really well which should give them some confidence about what they can do vs a championship caliber team when they play like they're supposed to.

The Cavs also gave them a lesson on how to close the last 5 minutes of a game, which should help their development.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes no sense. 2 games in 5 days is too much of a workload
LeBron leaves Miami in part because he's worried about Bosh and Wade's durability, yet Love has been hurt multiple times since joining the Cavs and Kyrie is needing days of rest before turning 25....not good.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBron leaves Miami in part because he's worried about Bosh and Wade's durability, yet Love has been hurt multiple times since joining the Cavs and Kyrie is needing days of rest before turning 25....not good.

Wiggy think it is perfectly fine that a 24 year old man is resting this frequently.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, they were definitely desperate moves.

I thought Deng would be better too. The Lakers were hoping Mozgov would at least play like he did before his injury. They weren't total wastes. They at least mentored the young guys. Mozgov helped with Zubac's development and Deng did the same with Ingram and Russell. Heck, even the way they handled being benched taught the young guys a lot about being a professional.

Funny thing is, if Jim had not signed them and just gone with the kids or at least signed them for a lot less, he and Mitch might still have their jobs.
I was wanting the Kings to trade some vets at the deadline and it didn't happen, but they've helped the young players which is good. Who knows, you could make smart moves and still get fired. The Kings have shown you can make questionable trades and still keep your job.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Refs make 2 quick bad calls to get Plumblee off the court.

If the Cavs can't play better D then they've shown, and end up playing Warriors they'll give up 125+ ppg.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what it comes down to is that LeBron has played the MOST games in the league over the last 6 years

anyone that cries about him sitting out should prob just shut the fuck up and thank LeBron for all the entertainment he has provided- fans, sponsors etc.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what it comes down to is that LeBron has played the MOST games in the league over the last 6 years

anyone that cries about him sitting out should prob just shut the fuck up and thank LeBron for all the entertainment he has provided- fans, sponsors etc.

You clearly had some difficulty with reading comprehension growing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.