• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Rosterbation

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every year there seems to be one FA who doesn't grab a chair before the music stops. This year it looks like Shields is the "winner".

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I would say. I don't see Scutaro starting for us ever again (though his name posted could have just been meant as IF players we have, not starters).

He could still be an ok bench player. Offense is basically non existent but he has his moments.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh.... Did not see this was in the Giants home board... Sorry to jump it..... I was just really intrigued by the title of this thread and had to read it about 4 times to not get what I initially thought it said out of my head.... So KUDOS to the OP!

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's played a whole two games in the last 18 months and now is coming off back surgery. The DFA is merited.

I would agree that the DFA is merited. Scoots would not be ready until June at the earliest, and his recovery to baseball form remains doubtful. As to the future, it is a way to open up a roster space, while still paying a guy without whom they would not have won the WS in 2012. But that wasn't your point.

Your point was that he hadn't done anything in the last two years. So now you change it to "the last 18 months," conveniently leaving out most of the 2013 season, where Scoots performed very well. (Sources cited in last post.)

I mean, geez, Kaepernick hasn't thrown a touchdown in the last four weeks. Posey hasn't homered in about 80 days. Curry hasn't hit a three pointer today. Cut them all!

Does language mean anything to you, or is it all hyperbole and bluster?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh.... Did not see this was in the Giants home board... Sorry to jump it..... I was just really intrigued by the title of this thread and had to read it about 4 times to not get what I initially thought it said out of my head.... So KUDOS to the OP!

Feel free to jump in. Just know that these threads are for Giants fans, by Giants fans.

As for the term, it is a term we have been using for years. I think it goes back to the Disney days...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree that the DFA is merited. Scoots would not be ready until June at the earliest, and his recovery to baseball form remains doubtful. As to the future, it is a way to open up a roster space, while still paying a guy without whom they would not have won the WS in 2012. But that wasn't your point.

Your point was that he hadn't done anything in the last two years. So now you change it to "the last 18 months," conveniently leaving out most of the 2013 season, where Scoots performed very well. (Sources cited in last post.)

I mean, geez, Kaepernick hasn't thrown a touchdown in the last four weeks. Posey hasn't homered in about 80 days. Curry hasn't hit a three pointer today. Cut them all!

If you translate it to Spanish, I am sure it makes perfect sense...

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A53I5CtCQAAfYzt.png

Never.Gets.Old.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would we offer him 3/60? I think he would take it.

His "excuse" would be that he wants to play in a pitcher's park for a contender. There aren't many of those.

:10:

Maybe he would prefer a 1/20? He could increase his value and the Giants would get the pick back next year.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feel free to jump in. Just know that these threads are for Giants fans, by Giants fans.

As for the term, it is a term we have been using for years. I think it goes back to the Disney days...

Well, sadly I am not a Giants fan so that's a strike against me. I like the term and hell it reeled in a non Giants fan.

I have to give the Giants credit for being "dirt dogs" and finding ways to win games and World Series.... Best of luck in 2015... Unless you face the Red Sox :suds:

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, sadly I am not a Giants fan so that's a strike against me. I like the term and hell it reeled in a non Giants fan.

I have to give the Giants credit for being "dirt dogs" and finding ways to win games and World Series.... Best of luck in 2015... Unless you face the Red Sox :suds:

Hey, we both got off the schneid this last decade. I always liked the Sawx - anyone but the Yankees. You have great tradition with Fenway, loved that Field of Dreams had great scenes filmed there, but objectively, it is no longer a major league park, dimensions-wise. Panda just might become the next Miguel Cabrera there, and that would be a joke.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ha ha! OK, I get your point. But don't sell hyperbole and bluster short. Look where its gotten Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly and Al Sharpton.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha ha! OK, I get your point. But don't sell hyperbole and bluster short. Look where its gotten Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly and Al Sharpton.

Uh, honorary degrees from Pomona Clown College?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh, honorary degrees from Pomona Clown College?

Well, I would be they each have more money than the whole Giants' board put together. Except the Mouse refugee, PWD, who owned everything. Not that having money means anything.

Love the lines from Fiddler on the Roof, where Perchik says, "Money is the world's curse."

Tevye responds, "May the Lord smite me with it. And may I never recover."

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants To Re-Sign Ryan Vogelsong – MLB Trade Rumors

Giants To Re-Sign Ryan Vogelsong
By Steve Adams [January 23, 2015 at 11:44am CST]

11:44am: Vogelsong will earn $4MM plus incentives, reports Schulman (on Twitter). Alex Pavlovic of the Mercury News/Bay Area News Group tweets that Vogelsong’s physical will take place today.

10:09am: The Giants and Ryan Vogelsong have reached an agreement on a one-year deal, pending a physical, reports Jon Heyman of CBS Sports (on Twitter). Hank Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle reported yesterday that a reunion looked likely after Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports noted that Vogelsong had “shifted course” away from the Astros and was in serious discussions with San Francisco.

The 37-year-old Vogelsong, a client of agent Dave Meier, was originally drafted by the Giants in the fifth round of the 1998 draft and ultimately traded to the Pirates in the 2001 Jason Schmidt trade. Vogelsong struggled through parts of five seasons with Pittsburgh before eventually landing in Japan for three seasons. He came back to the States in 2010 but failed to latch on with either the Phillies or Angels on a pair of minor league deals. San Francisco brought him back that offseason, and Vogelsong’s emergence and All-Star nod in 2011 was one of the better stories of that season.

Including his 2011 breakout, Vogelsong has tallied 657 2/3 innings of 3.74 ERA ball with 7.0 K/9 and 3.0 BB/9 over the past four seasons. He missed much of the 2013 campaign after being hit by a pitch on the hand and fracturing his finger, which required surgery. Vogelsong struggled to a 5.73 ERA that season but has otherwise been a reliable source of innings for manager Bruce Bochy’s rotation since establishing himself in 2011.

Where he fits onto the 2015 roster is a bit more complicated, however. The Giants expect Madison Bumgarner, Tim Hudson, Matt Cain, Jake Peavy and Tim Lincecum to comprise their rotation, and though Hudson and Cain are both recovering from surgery, the team has said that each is expected to be ready come Opening Day. Vogelsong could theoretically fill a swingman role, but Yusmeiro Petit excelled in that role in 2014, even setting a Major League record for most consecutive batters retired (46). It’s possible that one of the Giants’ mending starters may not be ready for Opening Day, but Vogelsong doesn’t appear to have a long-term rotation spot in place, barring an injury to a current starter or a shift of the struggling Lincecum to the bullpen.

Vogelsong looked at one point to be heading to the Astros, with reports even placing him in Houston earlier this week, but that deal did not come to fruition. He also drew interest from the Phillies and Rockies before returning to a more familiar setting.