• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Rosterbation

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I can say is that on this one you are just wrong. A generalized statement that we have signed no free agents of significance was what I made and asked for opinions why that might be. Instead of answers all I got was defensiveness I guess trying to defend the Giants. In my opinion there was no defense needed. The statement is accurate but it seems the answers get twisted to display the responders agenda because they sense an attack.
I don't know the history of this board, perhaps you have a history of invaders on this board but it makes newcomers like myself uncomfortable. There seems to be a general distrust and "outing of trolls" thng that goes on when someone disagrees with the group. Maybe its just me.

You can't answer a question when the question itself is deeply flawed. It's pretty similar to 'when did you stop beating your wife?'. Your question assumes free agents have been asked to come here and none have. We've clearly shown you that only Lester and Sandoval have been pursued and said no, and the answer to your question on both is pretty well established. Sandoval wanted to go to a hitters park, Lester is in love with Theo Epstein. 2 people, 2 idiosyncratic reasons, no evidence of systematic anti-Giants bias.

This is the part where you say: "well, I just don't agree but I kind of see your point let's move on". We'll see if you can handle that.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just my opinion ... mine ... not the boards ... as a fan it's very easy to cross the line between 'kicking the tires' and ' making a bid'. I just can't tell. I personally don't believe that we (the team) extends many offers at all. I think they 'kick the tires' on all opportunities but don't really extend that much. During this month I have heard that we (SF) are the leaders for Upton and Young. I have heard that we are aggressively pursuing them. But where did I hear this? On forums. Dumb tweets from OTHER Giant fans who want us to pursue them and thinking if they say it enough it will happen. I've tried searching the web on this connection but can't locate anything tangible that shows us as a front runner. Can't even find anything that has us in the damn race. My guess is that we kick a hell of a lot of tires but very rarely make an offer. I hear we are interested in Shields ... but where exactly can a fan verify that ... and how would we know that an offer was ever actually extended?

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So....Morse to the Marlins.....2/$8mil......

Now I am really hoping we do the Upton/Johnson deal with ATL.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't answer a question when the question itself is deeply flawed. It's pretty similar to 'when did you stop beating your wife?'. Your question assumes free agents have been asked to come here and none have. We've clearly shown you that only Lester and Sandoval have been pursued and said no, and the answer to your question on both is pretty well established. Sandoval wanted to go to a hitters park, Lester is in love with Theo Epstein. 2 people, 2 idiosyncratic reasons, no evidence of systematic anti-Giants bias.

This is the part where you say: "well, I just don't agree but I kind of see your point let's move on". We'll see if you can handle that.

A pretty shaky assumption I would say. But I can clearly see the problem here; you think you know what my question assumes but you don't and that speaks to your shortcomings, not mine.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So....Morse to the Marlins.....2/$8mil......

Now I am really hoping we do the Upton/Johnson deal with ATL.

2/8?

Wow, I hadn't looked into the specifics of the contract, but a pay CUT???

Didn't expect that.

I am not too upset about the signing from a Giants POV, though. I never felt that he was a very good fit, skills-wise, for the Giants. He was a good Giant, though.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A pretty shaky assumption I would say. But I can clearly see the problem here; you think you know what my question assumes but you don't and that speaks to your shortcomings, not mine.

The conversation went on for pages and you never clarified. Seems like you either enjoyed the "misunderstanding", or agreed with it until now.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh for pete's sake you are a doosh.

Your question HAS TO logically assume my assertion. You are asking why don't FAs come here? If we don't ask them to, there's your answer.

We may not know all the details of who asks what and who offers what, but for the purposes of this discussion, we can credibly assert that we've pursued very few (2 is all I can see) and you cannot credibly assert otherwise. You haven't even tried, because you can't name another besides Lester and Panda.

This whole conversation is right here in black and white, the 'winner' is obviously not you. Your opinion is noted, our response is noted. I'm all done here.

If you turn out to be a 'last word freak' then my opinion on you being NolanNonsense moves from 50% to 60%

Last edited by a moderator:

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2/8?

Wow, I hadn't looked into the specifics of the contract, but a pay CUT???

Didn't expect that.

I am not too upset about the signing from a Giants POV, though. I never felt that he was a very good fit, skills-wise, for the Giants. He was a good Giant, though.

Pay cut is maybe because he will be a bench guy there? Who do they have at 1B?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Descalso signs with the Rox...

I had not heard anywhere that the Giants were interested in him, but I thought it would have been a not-horrible idea to look at him for the 3B job (or 2B while moving Panik).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brian Wilson DFA'd by the Dodgers. The beard's run in LA ends

Are they going to get all bent because he did what was in his best interest by activating his option?

He was a big part of the Greatest Season in Sports History, but he was kinda a dooooosh.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are they going to get all bent because he did what was in his best interest by activating his option?

He was a big part of the Greatest Season in Sports History, but he was kinda a dooooosh.

His post-Giants antics were pretty dooshy but he was my favorite Giant when he was here. I like the crazy characters in the game.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His post-Giants antics were pretty dooshy but he was my favorite Giant when he was here. I like the crazy characters in the game.

I enjoyed having the personality, but I kinda "put up" with it, while holding my nose. I internally acknowledged that I was being hypocritical, to an extent, by liking him. If he were not a Giant, I would have HATED him.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marco, can you clarify for me...

Wilson can elect free agency and still get his 9.5M for '15, correct? Or will he need to accept the assignment (assuming the Dodgers want to "assign him") in order to receive his ransom, er, I mean, salary?

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I enjoyed having the personality, but I kinda "put up" with it, while holding my nose. I internally acknowledged that I was being hypocritical, to an extent, by liking him. If he were not a Giant, I would have HATED him.

Understood, I liked him flat out, would have liked him on another team. But the way he acted after leaving definitely changed my opinion some. I just get bored with the standard Posey-like personalities, and have a soft spot for the characters like Wilson, Panda, Lincecum, etc. I'm hard pressed to name others these days, is Tony Plush still a thing? I like Ichiro's schtick. I liked Jeter a lot, even though he's not wacky but he's so effortlessly cool. Jason Giambi has a ton of personality. Guys like that.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marco, can you clarify for me...

Wilson can elect free agency and still get his 9.5M for '15, correct? Or will he need to accept the assignment (assuming the Dodgers want to "assign him") in order to receive his ransom, er, I mean, salary?

I went in to excessive detail about what a DFA entails last month...

Basically, since Wilson has at least 5 years of service time :

* the Dodgers DFA'd Wilson, so he is immediately removed from the 40-man, to make room to add Brandon McCarthy
* they now have 10 days to trade him, release him, or outright him to the minors (he has > 5 yrs service, so he can and most likely will refuse assignment to the minors, and his contract is still guaranteed)
* If he had >3 and <5 yrs service, he could choose to accept assignment to the minors. If he refused, he would be a FA but he would give up his contract $$$
* If he had < 3 yrs service, he MUST accept assignment to minors, unless he had already been outrighted at least once before. In that case, if he refused, he would be a FA but he would give up his contract $$$

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I expect that no team will trade for Wilson, so he will become a FA, and then in March-June timeframe he will pop up on some team's roster at league minimum. (He is *guaranteed* the $9.5M on his contract. If he signs with another team, the Dodgers will have to pay him the difference of $9.5M-{his salary from another team}. So he will prob sign for minimum, if he signs at all. And there's no reason for him to sign with a team out of ST. It would prob be best if he only pitched 2-3 months and so have less time to implode, and more time to rest his arm. So he'll pitch trying to impress and get a new contract in 2016.

Or just decide to retire.