• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Rosterbation

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rios to the Royals, 1/11.

Looks like they are moving on from Aoki. I have been negative on Aoki up to this point, but he may be better than any of the other options that are available at this point.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And just a reminder...

Shields is the last QO FA left on the market.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rios to the Royals, 1/11.

Looks like they are moving on from Aoki. I have been negative on Aoki up to this point, but he may be better than any of the other options that are available at this point.

I'm frankly glad we didn't sign Rios. Would still like to see us sign Rasmus. I question whether signing Aoki would be better than doing nothing. I can't see Aoki moving the needle at all, that he would better than letting the best of our AAAA OF's play instead and hope one emerges. Hopefully the FO is confident about Pagan being able to play at least 120 games or more.

There is always Belt to LF, Buster to 1B, and let Susac catch for 40-80 games if need be.

I'm still smarting from us not getting Headley. Our options have dwindled - I feel we almost have to run the table on our remaining targets just to tread water.

Last edited by a moderator:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm frankly glad we didn't sign Rios. Would still like to see us sign Rasmus. I question whether signing Aoki would be better than doing nothing. I can't see Aoki moving the needle at all, that he would better than letting the best of our AAAA OF's play instead and hope one emerges. Hopefully the FO is confident about Pagan being able to play at least 120 games or more.

I'm still smarting from us not getting Headley. Our options have dwindled - I feel we almost have to run the table on our remaining targets just to tread water.

Cant disagree re: Aoki.

Unfortunately, that has been the argument for just about everyone this off-season. This FA class B-A-D. Add to the horribleness of that the fact that one of the actual decent pieces on the market came out of our bucket, and this was pretty much destined to be a bad off-season.

If only we had something good to distract us during this horrible, horrible time in Giants history...

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants have only asked 2 to come here since they got so good. Both were this winter, and both said no. You refuse to provide more examples, because there aren't any and you know it. Lester had nothing to do with us, he preferred the Cubs for reasons already stated. Panda you can really say turned us down and actually preferred to play elsewhere, it wasn't money. That's your one example. And he fits the conventional wisdom which says hitters like hitters parks.

The facts are as they are. You can take them as you wish. This conversation has reached its logical endpoint.

Don't be silly. You have no more insight into the inner workings of the Giants business operations than anyone here on this board. The fact that you state with such ceertainty the bolded above is laughable. But you are right about one thing, the conversation has reached its logical end so I'm looking for my white flag as I type.

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't be silly. You have no more insight into the inner workings of the Giants business operations than anyone here on this board. The fact that you state with such ceertainty the bolded above is laughable. But you are right about one thing, the conversation has reached its logical end so I'm looking for my white flag as I type. :yield:

:fify:

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you've concluded it's because the Giants are cheap. You've been roundly disproved on this thread, and now are shifting ground with "you don't know what you're talking about."

Really? You DON'T believe the Giants are cheap?

:L
No, as a matter of fact I gave as one of my main reasons for not understanding why FAs won't come here the fact that the Giants are willing to pay as much as anyone else for these guys But I have heard them many times say "He doesn't meet our budget" or words to that effect. Profit clearly is at or near the top of their list of priorities.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's it guys.

I'm done.

He is either insanely dense or just a simple troll.

FWIW, he has already been banned from the Niner board for trolling.

Can't deny that. One of the guys on the Warriors board, or maybe it was this one, warned me that they were touchy over there about Colin Kaepernick and I was right in the middle of a classic rant about that clown when "bam", no more access. Didn't know it was supposed to be a secret though.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, as a matter of fact I gave as one of my main reasons for not understanding why FAs won't come here the fact that the Giants are willing to pay as much as anyone else for these guys But I have heard them many times say "He doesn't meet our budget" or words to that effect. Profit clearly is at or near the top of their list of priorities.

Those dang owners risking their capital and expecting a PROFIT?!?

Don't they know that every dollar of profit is a dollar stolen from a comrade worker?!?

:omg:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Translation: The Giants are cheap.

Quit while you're behind man.

Quit while you're behind.

:L

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2015 MLB Cap Tracker

Giants are currently committed to just shy of $130 million payroll for 2015, while still looking for a SP, LF, 3B. They are 7th on all MLB for committed salaries for 2015 so far.

While it may be frustrating to endure all the inactivity on signing FA, the Giants are clearly not cheap. Frugal, maybe. Not as fiscally prolific as the SoCal neighbors, either.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think "*both*" is a definite possibility.

I'm not really sure. I've been on the board since the migration days from Disney. If you read through this thread you see the 'mules' for this board. I personally like the banter on this board and I like the ability to exchange ideas and positions. BUT .... you have to be somewhat flexible ... at some point you have to 'agree to disagree'. You just can't stand by your own position and 'fight to the death'. No real benefit to that.
Since I've been here a while I understand most of the contributors on the board. May not agree with some of them but do respect their rights to be part of the community. Being part of the community also brings responsibilities as well. Just can't have wars with everyone here because you don't agree with them. .

Over the years we've lost a few board members for various reasons ..... in fighting is always one of the reasons. All boards have to deal with it. No board or forum is perfect but for me .... this is where I come to get my Giant baseball 'fix'.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not really sure. I've been on the board since the migration days from Disney. If you read through this thread you see the 'mules' for this board. I personally like the banter on this board and I like the ability to exchange ideas and positions. BUT .... you have to be somewhat flexible ... at some point you have to 'agree to disagree'. You just can't stand by your own position and 'fight to the death'. No real benefit to that.
Since I've been here a while I understand most of the contributors on the board. May not agree with some of them but do respect their rights to be part of the community. Being part of the community also brings responsibilities as well. Just can't have wars with everyone here because you don't agree with them. .

Over the years we've lost a few board members for various reasons ..... in fighting is always one of the reasons. All boards have to deal with it. No board or forum is perfect but for me .... this is where I come to get my Giant baseball 'fix'.

Well said.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:dunce:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, though...

I do not want stay on this topic long, I just want to say one thing...

Good point about the whole HF/Mule thing. I have voiced my concern about that issue here for years now. However, I don't see THIS situation as a Mule herd thing. A very specific question was asked multiple times (name some specific examples so we can analyze) and we continued to receive the same vague, generalized responses. I have no problem with differing opinions. I WANT differing opinions. They lead to good discussions and that is where learning comes from. But when all you are doing is :boink:, that is not a different opinion or HF/Mule.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just from this discussion, I can see why that happens.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, though...

Good point about the whole HF/Mule thing. I have voiced my concern about that issue here for years now. However, I don't see THIS situation as a Mule herd thing. A very specific question was asked multiple times (name some specific examples so we can analyze) and we continued to receive the same vague, generalized responses. I have no problem with differing opinions. I WANT differing opinions. They lead to good discussions and that is where learning comes from. But when all you are doing is :boink:, that is not a different opinion or HF/Mule.

All I can say is that on this one you are just wrong. A generalized statement that we have signed no free agents of significance was what I made and asked for opinions why that might be. Instead of answers all I got was defensiveness I guess trying to defend the Giants. In my opinion there was no defense needed. The statement is accurate but it seems the answers get twisted to display the responders agenda because they sense an attack.
I don't know the history of this board, perhaps you have a history of invaders on this board but it makes newcomers like myself uncomfortable. There seems to be a general distrust and "outing of trolls" thng that goes on when someone disagrees with the group. Maybe its just me.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, though...

I agree with you. I don't think I was using the 'mule' term as we usually think about it. I was more in the realm of 'senior member' than 'mule'. Actually I was using the class of 2010/2011 as the guide. I don't post as much as most of you but I have been here since 2010. I tend to read this board quite a bit and post only occasionally. I know most of the posters and have a feel for their individual styles and their opinions. Some of us have high tolerance levels .... while there are a few of us .... meh .... not so much .... but that is what I like about this board ... it has some fire ... and few with a sense of reason that tend to stabilize the playing field .... IMHO ... you are a major stabilizing force for this board ... just ask BoB ...