• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Rosterbation

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think about some of the fan base. Not all of them are rational.

If Sabean "let Sandoval go" and replaces him with a middle of the road 3B and bring in the same SP's. You don't think where will be some pissed off fans.

Weak farm system, very questionable rotation outside of Bumgarner, lineup with a hole at LF, 3B, offensive hole at SS and CF who will miss 50 games. There will be angry fans

Sandoval has been a middle of the road third basemen the last few seasons except for some success he's had in the post season so if he gets replaced by another one like Headley its not that big of a loss.

What is Sabean supposed to do if free agents don't want to sign here, hold a gun to their heads? I'm told he offered more money and years than the Cubs did to Lester and he still wouldn't come. The Giants will find a way to muddle through and if they catch that 6th playoff spot, look out!

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He won't and shouldn't. The only area where I'd side with the fans, assuming this happens is.

Let's say payroll is lower this year than it was last year, but ticket prices rise. Fans are not going to appreciate paying more to see a lesser-quality, lower-paid team

I doubt that would happen, but for gits and shiggles, let's say it does. As long as we're competitive, the park will be full, garlic fries and chacha bowls will be sold, and the rainy day fund will grow. Ticket prices aren't tied to anything except what the market will bare (bear?, I'm never sure on that). There are fans who will be pissed, but they'll just watch more on TV.

I think we basically agree.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. If we are punting on '15 and payroll lowers, that's fine. Only issues I would have with it are

1.) If they sign Melky/Cabrera to 4-year deals worth way too much money
2.) If they sign Peavy/Vogelsong to a multi-year deal
3.) If despite the lower payroll, ticket prices go up

1) might happen, and if it does they're not punting on 2015
2) both will get multi-year deals from someone; one of the two may be back.
3) ticket prices will go up regardless; nothing to do with payroll.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sandoval has been a middle of the road third basemen the last few seasons except for some success he's had in the post season so if he gets replaced by another one like Headley its not that big of a loss.

What is Sabean supposed to do if free agents don't want to sign here, hold a gun to their heads? I'm told he offered more money and years than the Cubs did to Lester and he still wouldn't come. The Giants will find a way to muddle through and if they catch that 6th playoff spot, look out!

They expanded the playoffs to six teams now?!?

Is the DH next?

:doh:

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) might happen, and if it does they're not punting on 2015
2) both will get multi-year deals from someone; one of the two may be back.
3) ticket prices will go up regardless; nothing to do with payroll.

2.) Vogelsong might get another 1-year deal. AL teams might wonder how he fares there, same for teams in less pitcher-friendly parks. Might come back here on a 1-year deal
3.) If they don't bring in a bigger contract guy. I just wouldn't like to see the big post-WS strike as usual, since payroll will be a little lower (and they have that WS money)

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think about some of the fan base. Not all of them are rational.

If Sabean "let Sandoval go" and replaces him with a middle of the road 3B and bring in the same SP's. You don't think where will be some pissed off fans.

Weak farm system, very questionable rotation outside of Bumgarner, lineup with a hole at LF, 3B, offensive hole at SS and CF who will miss 50 games. There will be angry fans

???

Crawford was a 2.4 oWAR, and a 104 OPS+ last year. He was solid in the postseason, too. Remember the 4 run homer in Pittsburgh? Not sure that constitutes a "hole".

:scratch:

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
???

Crawford was a 2.4 oWAR, and a 104 OPS+ last year. He was solid in the postseason, too. Remember the 4 run homer in Pittsburgh? Not sure that constitutes a "hole".

:scratch:

Agreed. SS is the least of our worries.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. SS is the least of our worries.

Yeah, if Crawford was a stock I'd buy the calls. He is going to be a very rich man in a few short years. We should lock him up when the time comes. He will get a like a 4/50 or 5/60 if he keeps up the progress he has shown.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually believe that if they do decide to "punt" 2015, they should consider trading Craw and putting Duffy or EA at SS. Mid infield is actually one of our deepest positions in the minors so we may have more options available by mid '16 if they do not pan out.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually believe that if they do decide to "punt" 2015, they should consider trading Craw and putting Duffy or EA at SS. Mid infield is actually one of our deepest positions in the minors so we may have more options available by mid '16 if they do not pan out.

I see what you're saying, but I doubt the FO has any intention of punting 2015.

We are the defending WS champs, and all we've really lost so far is Panda. That hole will get filled, at least in part. Panik, Crawford, and Belt will likely improve. Susac looks like the real deal, and he will add depth and flexibility. Cain will be back.

Trading BC would be a huge mistake, IMHO. He's right in the sweet spot of entering his prime at a bargain price. And he has no proven backup, not for 162+ games.

We will contend, even if we do relatively little in the offseason (though I still have faith we will do what needs to be done), and BC will be a big part of that.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, if Crawford was a stock I'd buy the calls. He is going to be a very rich man in a few short years. We should lock him up when the time comes. He will get a like a 4/50 or 5/60 if he keeps up the progress he has shown.

Agreed. He is one of the few Giants who understand situational hitting.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see what you're saying, but I doubt the FO has any intention of punting 2015.

We are the defending WS champs, and all we've really lost so far is Panda. That hole will get filled, at least in part. Panik, Crawford, and Belt will likely improve. Susac looks like the real deal, and he will add depth and flexibility. Cain will be back.

Trading BC would be a huge mistake, IMHO. He's right in the sweet spot of entering his prime at a bargain price. And he has no proven backup, not for 162+ games.

We will contend, even if we do relatively little in the offseason (though I still have faith we will do what needs to be done), and BC will be a big part of that.

My daughter would be heartbroken if they did. Crawford is her favorite player. She has developed a friendship with Crawford's wife and is having a lot of fun with that as well.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My daughter would be heartbroken if they did. Crawford is her favorite player. She has developed a friendship with Crawford's wife and is having a lot of fun with that as well.

brandon-crawford.jpg

How can one even think of trading BC???

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
brandon-crawford.jpg

How can one even think of trading BC???

I LOVE that pic.

Who would ever think that 20 years later, that little kid would have 2 rings with his believed Giants.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We ain't doin shit this off season.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evidently, that is ALL we are doing.

I guess that's OK. You don't want to do a deal just to do a deal. It has to benefit the team.
It has become very clear that for some reason the top players do not want to come to this team and its something the Giants will just have to live with. The choice the Giants are left with is to grossly overpay for FAs or develop players within. I think they'll opt for the latter.