• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Rosterbation

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt this plays much into how this plays out, but Rollins, much like Burrell, grew up a die-hard Giants fan, and has mentioned that he would like to play for the Giants at some point. I say there is about a .08% chance he is holding off on the no trade clause because he just doesn't want to wear the Blue.

Jimmy said last night that he would waive his clause to go to the Dodgers.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doggies just traded Gordon and Heran to the Marlins for Heaney +.

Damn. That was a nice two-trade parlay for the doggies.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doggies just traded Gordon and Heran to the Marlins for Heaney +.

Damn. That was a nice two-trade parlay for the doggies.

...aaaaand they just snatched up McCarthy...they are on a (J)roll

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN is reporting that Giants are favorites to trade for Justin Upton and will have to take Chris Johnson as part of the deal. $14.5 for Upton and $17.5 for Johnson

Chase Headley looked like he was headed the Giants way but earlier today ESPN was wondering why all of a sudden it looked like the Giants were not interested anymore. Johnson might be why.

They are also reporting that the Giants are in serious talks with Ervin Santana.

Also reporting that the Giants are trying to resign Romo, but he is being courted by the Red Sox, Tigers, Yankees, and Dodgers

Reefer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN is reporting that Giants are favorites to trade for Justin Upton and will have to take Chris Johnson as part of the deal. $14.5 for Upton and $17.5 for Johnson

Chase Headley looked like he was headed the Giants way but earlier today ESPN was wondering why all of a sudden it looked like the Giants were not interested anymore. Johnson might be why.

They are also reporting that the Giants are in serious talks with Ervin Santana.

Also reporting that the Giants are trying to resign Romo, but he is being courted by the Red Sox, Tigers, Yankees, and Dodgers

‏@pgammo
Giants met with Ervin Santana's group, but buzz remains they will go hard on James Shields

Another rumor I saw. I think I'd prefer Shields over Santana if contracts were similar. Shields 200+ IP every full season in his career. Pretty constant numbers over the last 4 seasons. He wouldn't have to anchor the staff here. I wouldn't want to go more than 4 years though and I think someone will give him 5.

If the Upton/Johnson deal did go down, curious to see what we would be giving up. I assume Crick has to be involved.

Surprised McCarthy got 4/48. Seems a bit high for a guy who had a 5+ERA when he was traded last summer. I know he turned things around a bit in NY, but 4 years seems risky to me.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
‏@pgammo
Giants met with Ervin Santana's group, but buzz remains they will go hard on James Shields

Another rumor I saw. I think I'd prefer Shields over Santana if contracts were similar. Shields 200+ IP every full season in his career. Pretty constant numbers over the last 4 seasons. He wouldn't have to anchor the staff here. I wouldn't want to go more than 4 years though and I think someone will give him 5.

If the Upton/Johnson deal did go down, curious to see what we would be giving up. I assume Crick has to be involved.

Surprised McCarthy got 4/48. Seems a bit high for a guy who had a 5+ERA when he was traded last summer. I know he turned things around a bit in NY, but 4 years seems risky to me.

I heard it was not for top prospects because the Giants are eating Johnson's contract.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see anything on mlbtr about McCarthy. Where are you guys hearing this?

Also, I just noticed that the doggies flipped Heaney to the Halos for Kendrick. I am a bit surprised about that one. Heaney looks like a stud.

Still no word what the doggies gave up for Rollins, but it is still being reported as a done deal.

I am trying to keep my spirits high, but this has been the weirdest off-season I ever remember for the Giants. Have we ever struck out so much in a single off season before?

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ervin off the market thankfully. Red Sox still going to be pushing for Shields.

I'll say this. If SF misses out on Shields and wind up just re-signing Vogelsong, Peavy trading for a "meh" 3B. There's going to be a lot of angry fans

Last edited by a moderator:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad we lose out on Santana. I would have hated to lose the #19 for him. Unfortunately, our compensation pick for losing Sandoval drops since the Twins first rounder is protected.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all the SP trades the Reds are making, I am a little down that we were not able to get in on any of them.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ervin off the market thankfully. Red Sox still going to be pushing for Shields.

I'll say this. If SF misses out on Shields and wind up just re-signing Vogelsong, Peavy trading for a "meh" 3B. There's going to be a lot of angry fans

Why angry? Would those fans somehow doubt the ability of the front office to deliver championships?

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why angry? Would those fans somehow doubt the ability of the front office to deliver championships?

Think about some of the fan base. Not all of them are rational.

If Sabean "let Sandoval go" and replaces him with a middle of the road 3B and bring in the same SP's. You don't think where will be some pissed off fans.

Weak farm system, very questionable rotation outside of Bumgarner, lineup with a hole at LF, 3B, offensive hole at SS and CF who will miss 50 games. There will be angry fans

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Sabean "let Sandoval go" and replaces him with a middle of the road 3B and bring in the same SP's. You don't think where will be some pissed off fans.

Weak farm system, very questionable rotation outside of Bumgarner, lineup with a hole at LF, 3B, offensive hole at SS and CF who will miss 50 games. There will be angry fans

Fair enough, I guess there will be. I just didn't see why they would be, I sure won't. I kind of figured they'd punt 2015. I prefer that to making deals you'll regret just to make a splash. 3 in 5 is splash enough for me, let's think long term.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough, I guess there will be. I just didn't see why they would be, I sure won't. I kind of figured they'd punt 2015. I prefer that to making deals you'll regret just to make a splash. 3 in 5 is splash enough for me, let's think long term.

If we do punt '15, lets just make sure we don't get hot in August and September the way we did in '13 and ruin our draft pick.

That would be unacceptable and heads SHOULD roll if that happens again. :lm:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Or the prudence of not overpaying just to make a deal? Like SabeySabes doesn't know what he's doing?

SMH....:L

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree a lot of fans are irrational (see: July 2014, me). However, why the fuck should Sabean care? The park is full every night and he's got the team competing almost every year. The lunatic fringe doesn't really mean squat to the giants. Pissed off fans or not, the Giants will thrive as long as they're competitive.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree a lot of fans are irrational (see: July 2014, me). However, why the fuck should Sabean care? The park is full every night and he's got the team competing almost every year. The lunatic fringe doesn't really mean squat to the giants. Pissed off fans or not, the Giants will thrive as long as they're competitive.

He won't and shouldn't. The only area where I'd side with the fans, assuming this happens is.

Let's say payroll is lower this year than it was last year, but ticket prices rise. Fans are not going to appreciate paying more to see a lesser-quality, lower-paid team

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah. If we are punting on '15 and payroll lowers, that's fine. Only issues I would have with it are

1.) If they sign Melky/Cabrera to 4-year deals worth way too much money
2.) If they sign Peavy/Vogelsong to a multi-year deal
3.) If despite the lower payroll, ticket prices go up