• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Rosterbation

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So with Lester and Hunter off the board that leaves:

1. Scherzer
2. Shields
3. Headley
4. Melkman
5. Liriano
6. McCarthy
7. Markakis
8. Rasmus
9. Hamel

As possible targets

Serious question to you...

Would you be OK with the Giants signing Melky without getting another QO FA? They would face the media deluge of BALCO all over again (while other teams essentially skate) and they would love the current #19 pick.

Not a loaded question. I am actually curious as to where you draw the line on the pick, primarily, and the media backlash, secondarily.

I am on record as saying that if we only sign 1 QO FA, I only want Scherzer. Any other QO FA is not worth it, IMHO.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few other non-tenders that are interesting...

1) Daniel Descalso - St Francis alumn and has played quite a bit if 3B.

2) Evereth Cabrera - Has a PED past, and has had a HORRIBLE year away from the diamond, so I do not expect the Giants to look at him, but the kid is a wiz with the glove.

3) Wade LeBlanc - Certainly worth a non-roster invite to compete for the 5/6/7 spots.

4) Gordon Beckham - All the talent in the world, but has never been able to put it together.

5) Justin Smoak - I am not interested in him, but Toronto just traded for him, now they are exposing him to the open market. Interesting.

Toronto didn't trade for Smoak, they claimed him off waivers (they gave up nothing for him). It appears that they changed their mind, or Smoak wasn't willing to agree to a salary commensurate with his offensive output the last few years.

(They also got Andy Dirks via waivers and he was just released as well.)

Last edited by a moderator:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toronto didn't trade for Smoak, they claimed him off waivers (they gave up nothing for him). It appears that they changed their mind, or Smoak wasn't willing to agree to a salary commensurate with his offensive output the last few years.

(They also got Andy Dirks via waivers and he was just released as well.)

Damn it, Marco!

Stop being right!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Toronto immediately signs Smoak to a 1/1 contract. He was projected to get approx. 3M through arbitration.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serious question to you...

Would you be OK with the Giants signing Melky without getting another QO FA? They would face the media deluge of BALCO all over again (while other teams essentially skate) and they would love the current #19 pick.

Not a loaded question. I am actually curious as to where you draw the line on the pick, primarily, and the media backlash, secondarily.

I am on record as saying that if we only sign 1 QO FA, I only want Scherzer. Any other QO FA is not worth it, IMHO.

I'd be OK with giving up the pick to get Melky, but I think there's zero chance Buster would want him back on the team. And, as someone mentioned a while ago, the Giants are unwilling to roll the dice on a player who burned them once on PEDs. So, no, I don't think they'd sign up for the media backlash.

But, as you imply, I'd take a hard look at picking up another QO FA once we got one. Santana would be my choice.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Toronto immediately signs Smoak to a 1/1 contract. He was projected to get approx. 3M through arbitration.

Ah, this was a 'set up'. They had a handshake deal with Smoak before non-tendering him. Under the rules in the CBA, a player cannot get less than 80% of the previous year's salary. So they 'non-tender' him, making him a FA. He can sign any contract for any amount with any team. SURPRISE! He signs a contract worth about 1/3 of his 2014 earnings with his 'previous' team.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bench strength only.

Now, BRING ME MELKY.

I've gone from thinking there's zero chance of Melky to thinking more like 20% or so. Depends I think on if we whiff on Lester/Scherzer/Shields. It feels like that's the main thrust, get another stud starter, hope Cain comes back strong, shore up the pen, win with pitching again like 2010-2012. But if they can't get that done, they may hold their nose and sign Melky and maybe go harder after Headley. Melky was pretty popular in the clubhouse before his screwup, you sit down Posey and Cain and the other leaders and say 'look we couldn't keep Panda, we didn't get a pitcher, we need to improve the club somewhere and this is a perfect fit, you guys need to be ok with it'

But if they get a front line arm they may just go with a lesser name in left, or try the mix and match thing again.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bench strength only.

Now, BRING ME MELKY.

Do we need a backup 1B with Posey there? Roster spot for a lefty PH? :noidea:

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bench strength only.

Now, BRING ME MELKY.

Yeah, Melky or Rasmus. Melky preferred. Headley is almost a must, IMHO.

Wouldn't mind Scherzer, but I could see them waiting till July to check out how the existing starters are doing.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:L

And he was only expected to make 800K.

So they, in essence, OVER PAID a guy who cant play defense where we need him to play defense, and offer AT BEST a passable pinch-hitting bat.

I am very appreciative of what he did in the NLDS and NLCS. I fully believe we not have the trophy if not for him. But he is a dumpster-dive level player, in all reality. Why lock up a 40-spot with him while ALSO giving him over-expected money?

I am all about loyalty and the I like that the Giants like to pay "their guys". But then they lose out on other players because they cant afford them. I am not a huge fan of Fitz, but his take on the Timmeh contract was pretty much spot-on. Pay him what you like, but don't come back and them say you cant get player X because of salary concerns. Paying Timmeh 18M when he would have, AT BEST gotten about 11M on the open market made no sense.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Melky or Rasmus. Melky preferred. Headley is almost a must, IMHO.

Wouldn't mind Scherzer, but I could see them waiting till July to check out how the existing starters are doing.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

And he was only expected to make 800K.

So they, in essence, OVER PAID a guy who cant play defense where we need him to play defense, and offer AT BEST a passable pinch-hitting bat.

I am very appreciative of what he did in the NLDS and NLCS. I fully believe we not have the trophy if not for him. But he is a dumpster-dive level player, in all reality. Why lock up a 40-spot with him while ALSO giving him over-expected money?

I am all about loyalty and the I like that the Giants like to pay "their guys". But then they lose out on other players because they cant afford them. I am not a huge fan of Fitz, but his take on the Timmeh contract was pretty much spot-on. Pay him what you like, but don't come back and them say you cant get player X because of salary concerns. Paying Timmeh 18M when he would have, AT BEST gotten about 11M on the open market made no sense.

Projections had him at $1.0MM, so $1.1MM is pretty damn close IMO. Don't know where you got 800k

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'd be a reserve OF mostly. LH hitter off the bench with some pop.

A reserve OF who can't play the OF is really a pinch hitter.