• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Rosterbation

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put Posey at third. Use Panda money + WSCIII money + TV money to get a quality FA OF and a quality FA SP. Just saying, if we don't sign Panda.

I guess I should have said "realistically".

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing Boston, he would 50% of hugs salary at MAs rate, and about 15% at NYs rate (plus another 5% or so at CA and Canadian rates.

If he stays in SF (or goes to SD), he would have about 65% or so taken by CA.

I am sure he and his agents know the actual amounts and are figuring them into their decisions.

Where do you get 15% at NY's rate? That would be about 24 games! I just checked the RedSox shedule for 2015, and Boston plays 10 games in Yankee stadium, and 3 against the Mets in NY. That's 13/162, which is 8% of the RedSox games for 2015.

Edit: and last year Boston only played 10 games in NYC (they didn't play the Mets), so 6% in '14.

Last edited by a moderator:

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't get the assumption Posey can play 3B. He played SS one season at Florida State then became a C. Years on his knees, doesn't have as much athleticism as he used to and now he is supposed to start at 3B for 100+ games?

Just seems like a big assumption, based off of little concrete evidence IMO

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't get the assumption Posey can play 3B. He played SS one season at Florida State then became a C. Years on his knees, doesn't have as much athleticism as he used to and now he is supposed to start at 3B for 100+ games?

Just seems like a big assumption, based off of little concrete evidence IMO

It's not an assumption, but if we don't re-sign Sandoval, it's the kind of chance you can take to best allocate resources to contend for WSC IV. If Panda signs elsewhere, the other options are not any better. Of course, it all hinges on Susac being able to produce.

Posey playing third is a better alternative than Belt playing LF, imho.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not an assumption, but if we don't re-sign Sandoval, it's the kind of chance you can take to best allocate resources to contend for WSC IV. If Panda signs elsewhere, the other options are not any better. Of course, it all hinges on Susac being able to produce.

Posey playing third is a better alternative than Belt playing LF, imho.

I'd easily take Belt playing LF or trading Belt over Posey being our 3B

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where do you get 15% at NY's rate? That would be about 24 games! I just checked the RedSox shedule for 2015, and Boston plays 10 games in Yankee stadium, and 3 against the Mets in NY. That's 13/162, which is 8% of the RedSox games for 2015.

Edit: and last year Boston only played 10 games in NYC (they didn't play the Mets), so 6% in '14.

Sorry, I changed my text after I wrote it. I intended to convey a total of about 15% between NY, Ca, and Canada, to match up to the approx 15% Ca, NY and Canada he would have if he stayed with a California team.

Reefer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In full agreement with you on this. Belt could play LF at the very least, as well as Ishikawa, but I think he would become adequate after a full season and a few spring trainings. I still think we are a few years away from that though as it allows Posey to remain at C where his handling of the staff has been invaluable and he can groom Susac into the starting roll.

I understand the logic of Posey moving to 3B because he played SS as a freshman, but Morse was playing SS as a 23yo for the Mariners. Look at the player now, not where he has played in the past.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In full agreement with you on this. Belt could play LF at the very least, as well as Ishikawa, but I think he would become adequate after a full season and a few spring trainings. I still think we are a few years away from that though as it allows Posey to remain at C where his handling of the staff has been invaluable and he can groom Susac into the starting roll.

I understand the logic of Posey moving to 3B because he played SS as a freshman, but Morse was playing SS as a 23yo for the Mariners. Look at the player now, not where he has played in the past.

HE HITS IT HIGH!!

HE HITS IT DEEP!!

IT IS OUT-A-HERE!!!

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the opposition to moving Posey to 3B in the event that we lose Sandoval. But for purposes of discussion, if we do lose Sandoval, who then plays third? Please be specific - so far, no one has been. All I've seen is criticism, but no alternatives.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the opposition to moving Posey to 3B in the event that we lose Sandoval. But for purposes of discussion, if we do lose Sandoval, who then plays third? Please be specific - so far, no one has been. All I've seen is criticism, but no alternatives.

????

Duffy
Crawford
Arias
Longoria
Headley
Sanchez
Bonifacio
Duvall
Dominguez
Tomas

These are just a few options that have been mentioned in this thread that can think of off the top of my head.

For the record, I am not against the Posey idea. I happen to believe that Bochy was so adamantly against it earlier this season more for political reasons than anything else. After all, Panda was still with the team, and it would not be cool to talk about his replacement when they wanted to retain him.

I applauded Reefers post, not really because I agreed with it as much as I thought it was just a REALLY good point that had not been mentioned here yet.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Worst case, Arias. Next worst, Duffy. Most likely: trade for someone.

No doubt if we lose out on Panda 3B goes from position of strength to position of meh or weakness. Then they either get some strength elsewhere (LF the only other real place to do that) or as I've been talking about, they punt on 2015.

THe Panda situation is probably reason #1 I've been on this idea, this year may just not work out...pitching is another issue. ALthough, if Cain comes back strong as a solid #2 (not at all out of the question) and guys stay healthy maybe we can make it work even without a very good 3B.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think his point though is that moving Belt does not solve the Susac problem; moving Posey does. It just isn't going to happen though.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never been on a major league baseball team.

That said, so much has been written about how GOOD Posey is with the pitchers, moving him is a big issue. So many times, when a Giants pitcher has a GREAT game, his comments afterwards are something like "Posey had it down today, I just followed his lead" or "he seemed to know what I wanted and called it" or something similar. I don't think that making Posey a third baseman to start next season is a good idea. MAYBE Susac is great behind the plate and calls a great game, but he needs to be *eased* into a starting catcher role, let the staff get used to him and believe in him. Heck, following Posey as the main catcher (in the minds of the pitchers) is going to be a hard role for anybody.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
????

Duffy
Crawford
Arias
Longoria
Headley
Sanchez
Bonifacio
Duvall
Dominguez
Tomas

These are just a few options that have been mentioned in this thread that can think of off the top of my head.

For the record, I am not against the Posey idea. I happen to believe that Bochy was so adamantly against it earlier this season more for political reasons than anything else. After all, Panda was still with the team, and it would not be cool to talk about his replacement when they wanted to retain him.

I applauded Reefers post, not really because I agreed with it as much as I thought it was just a REALLY good point that had not been mentioned here yet.

I appreciate your list and what you've said, but it wouldn't be difficult to state major issues with each of these options, if indeed they are options at all.

And I was not aware Eva Longoria was available. Dang.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/big-l...d-baseman-bruce-bochy-says-san-145224895.html

“I think he’d be a really good third baseman,” Bochy said. “We like him where he’s at now. And this is something (that would happen) if he took the time to learn it in the offseason and spring training. But he’s an athlete and he has the hands and the arm.”

So some guy named Bochy agrees with me. No big deal.

:whistle:

That article is over a year old. Much more recently, Bochy has said Buster isn't moving to third. John Shea, interview with Bochy August 2014:

"Whether at some point down the road he will get out from behind the plate. I can’t answer that, but right now, there’s no plan to do that. But I will say it’s always nice to have that option. It’s a beautiful thing having that kind of option where you have somebody you trust to be able to handle the staff, whether it’s Susac or Sanchez..”

Bochy said he’d see a move to first base, not third base.

---------------------

Looks like he doesn't agree with you. :noidea: