• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Rosterbation

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That check gets smaller and smaller each year due to inflation, a fact the Mets beancounters surely understood, and perhaps Bonilla did not...

Yeah, but it's still more than two pre-arb players combined.

And if he thinks it's too small, he can wire it into my account. :nod:

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but it's still more than two pre-arb players combined.

And if he thinks it's too small, he can wire it into my account. :nod:

In 2035 it will probably be less than 1 pre arb player....

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember reading about this deal a few years ago. Unfortunately, the link provided did not do a very good job of explaining the agreement between Bonilla and the Mets.

Has Bonilla been receiving these payments each year up until now, or did they start in '13?

Did the Mets turn a (essentially) single bulk payment in 2000 of 5.9M into 23 annual payments of 1.2M (2013 - 2035), or into 36 annual payments of 1.2M (2000 - 2035)?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just looked it up...

The payments started in 2011.

He turned 5.9M into approx. 30M.

Sure, inflation and deferments make it a more complicated comparison, but that is a nice decision. Apparently, they agreed on an 8% interest when they figured out the payments. That is not a bad return on money you don't need right now.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That check gets smaller and smaller each year due to inflation, a fact the Mets beancounters surely understood, and perhaps Bonilla did not...

Cmon, you think his agent didn't understand the time value of money? They took that buyout knowing full well that inflation would occur, and that factored into the agreement.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cmon, you think his agent didn't understand the time value of money? They took that buyout knowing full well that inflation would occur, and that factored into the agreement.

I actually did the math, and it was an 8% interest.

You assume an approximate value of 3% for COLA, so anything over that is "profit". Essentially, Bonilla gave the Mets a 5.9M loan in 2000, with the payments not starting until 2011. Pretty simple, really.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually did the math, and it was an 8% interest.

You assume an approximate value of 3% for COLA, so anything over that is "profit". Essentially, Bonilla gave the Mets a 5.9M loan in 2000, with the payments not starting until 2011. Pretty simple, really.

Exactly. They paid for the use of that money in 2000 with 2011 dollars and beyond.

I think we agree here. I took exception to the "Bonilla didn't realize it" comment. All these guys have agents who are subject to malpractice if they blow something like that.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying they will contend (one might, there's always a surprise team like KC or Milwaukee was this year), but 1 of them will be around .500. They definitely won't be the 3 worst teams in the league.

Colorado and Az had the two worst records in the league last year. Perhaps Miami is worse than San Diego, but not by much. I don't see a lot of change occuring there. San Diego has pretty good pitching but I still think they'll be around the bottom.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston Red Sox said just now that they are going all in on Sandoval and will give him a 6 year deal if needed. They plan to use him as a DH after Ortiz retires and at 3rd until then. Ortiz has 1 year left on his contract.

:sick::mad2::martini:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston Red Sox said just now that they are going all in on Sandoval and will give him a 6 year deal if needed. They plan to use him as a DH after Ortiz retires and at 3rd until then. Ortiz has 1 year left on his contract.

:sick::mad2::martini:

:suds:

Thanks for the memories, Panda. Hopefully the Giants can bid up your asking price.

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My gut still tells me Sandoval will re-sign with us.......and it won't be for some crazy deal.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My gut still tells me Sandoval will re-sign with us.......and it won't be for some crazy deal.

I hope you are right. But if Boston is willing to go 6 years, Panda would be dumb to turn that down. I can see him enjoying himself in that park, and I think the fans would enjoy him. God knows he would enjoy being the lead story on ESPN every night.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope you are right. But if Boston is willing to go 6 years, Panda would be dumb to turn that down. I can see him enjoying himself in that park, and I think the fans would enjoy him. God knows he would enjoy being the lead story on ESPN every night.

Worst fans in baseball, and that's saying something with Yanka$$fan.

They will turn on him at the first slump. He's loved here, he will be roasted there.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worst fans in baseball, and that's saying something with Yanka$$fan.

They will turn on him at the first slump. He's loved here, he will be roasted there.

It would be sad to see the Panda brand anywhere but in SF. Panda bubblehead fans in Fenway every night. Panda shirts with Red Sox logos. It just wouldn't be right.

Would also hate to see a SF hitter explode elsewhere. It would dampen the enthusiasm for another hitter to come here, or to stay here for that matter.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be sad to see the Panda brand anywhere but in SF. Panda bubblehead fans in Fenway every night. Panda shirts with Red Sox logos. It just wouldn't be right.

Would also hate to see a SF hitter explode elsewhere. It would dampen the enthusiasm for another hitter to come here, or to stay here for that matter.

This is one of my big fears about Panda leaving. If he winds up with one of the 'higher paying' teams all of our Panda memories will be skewed forever. I just can't imagine a Redsox (or any other big spending team) shirt with Panda written all over it. Seeing Redsox Panda rally caps would be ... can't even put it into words.

This is where the value of 'Panda' really is for most of the top tier teams. He's a good player but he is also a virtual gold mine for their marketing department. I can see BOS pushing 6/130M if necessary. I don't think money is any sort of an issue for them. The return on the investment is worth the gamble.

The only thing WORSE than that would be Panda signing with the hated Doggies. I thought Wilson going to them was horrible .... this would be a whole different level of .... just wrong!!!

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is one of my big fears about Panda leaving. If he winds up with one of the 'higher paying' teams all of our Panda memories will be skewed forever. I just can't imagine a Redsox (or any other big spending team) shirt with Panda written all over it. Seeing Redsox Panda rally caps would be ... can't even put it into words.

This is where the value of 'Panda' really is for most of the top tier teams. He's a good player but he is also a virtual gold mine for their marketing department. I can see BOS pushing 6/130M if necessary. I don't think money is any sort of an issue for them. The return on the investment is worth the gamble.

The only thing WORSE than that would be Panda signing with the hated Doggies. I thought Wilson going to them was horrible .... this would be a whole different level of .... just wrong!!!

Looks like we're just going to have to put on our big boy pants and deal with it.

This is what rooting for a team that's not the Dodgers, Yankees, or Red Sox (or Angels I guess) gets you...know what else that gets you? 3 rings in 5 years (recently anyway...the Yankees got you that 15 years ago)

Sadly, though, this will be the first homegrown star we lose in his prime...Wilson was done being great with all his arm trouble. Panda will mash in Boston.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You might be the only person who can see this.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like we're just going to have to put on our big boy pants and deal with it.

This is what rooting for a team that's not the Dodgers, Yankees, or Red Sox (or Angels I guess) gets you...know what else that gets you? 3 rings in 5 years (recently anyway...the Yankees got you that 15 years ago)

Sadly, though, this will be the first homegrown star we lose in his prime...Wilson was done being great with all his arm trouble. Panda will mash in Boston.

Maybe...but he's been declining for a couple of years now. More of his value comes from his defense now, and that is an iffy proposition to hold up for the next 5 years.

I wanted to pay the man, but now I'm thinking he can't surpass Pence.