• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Rosterbation

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants are still supposedly one of the front-runners.

But I am OK with moving on from him. His defense is supposedly very questionable, and he will cost the same as a SUPERSTAR right of the gate.

I just don't see the equity benefit. Kinda like buying a lottery ticket for 10M.

Who do we target at LF then if no Markakis, Rios, Aoki, Tomas, Morse

Melky?

Ishikawa/Perez platoon?

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Melky?

Ishikawa/Perez platoon?

ive said this before, we may punt on 2015 if Panda doesnt come back. tread water, wait for Timmy and Hudson and Scutaro etc to be off the books, give the kids another year. and i'd be just fine with that

and for Bonds' sake, Melky aint happening

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Melky?

Ishikawa/Perez platoon?

I am OK with NM at 3/40, 4/50, something like that (neither if those gets him, I realize). He is not a superstar, but he is durable and a SOLID starter. That fills the LF spot, then all we would need is another #4 type to offer depth along with Blanco for WHEN Pagan goes down.

Then we can bring in a few dumpster-dives to compete at 3B or make a trade. Same with the rotation. Scherzer and Lester are not coming here and I think Shields wants to get paid like an elite 2/solid 1 when in reality he is just a solid 2, and falling.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ive said this before, we may punt on 2015 if Panda doesnt come back. tread water, wait for Timmy and Hudson and Scutaro etc to be off the books, give the kids another year. and i'd be just fine with that

and for Bonds' sake, Melky aint happening

I don't see a punt, but maybe not an all-in. I think the all-in moment will be '16. Maybe they make a bid for Price or Szmardfgjiugtvcddre when they become FAs.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am OK with NM at 3/40, 4/50, something like that (neither if those gets him, I realize). He is not a superstar, but he is durable and a SOLID starter. That fills the LF spot, then all we would need is another #4 type to offer depth along with Blanco for WHEN Pagan goes down.

Then we can bring in a few dumpster-dives to compete at 3B or make a trade. Same with the rotation. Scherzer and Lester are not coming here and I think Shields wants to get paid like an elite 2/solid 1 when in reality he is just a solid 2, and falling.

He would be a safe but expensive upgrade to Blanco, but I'm not real enthused about it - I'd rather sign Tomas if the money was close. I would be OK with Pence/Pagan/Markakis with Blanco as #4 and our best internal candidate as #5, IF we either re-signed Panda, or shored up our SP's as well.

In other words, I'd be disappointed if our offseason consisted of losing Panda, and signing Markakis and Vogey. OTOH, we won WSC III without Pagan. If he can come back and play 120 games, that's like an FA pickup right there. If we lose Panda, Plan B at 3B is a long step down.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why is it that everybody on this site feels obligated to use nicknames and initials to refer to players? That was the one HUGE thing I was taught on the job - don't use shortcuts, or abbreviations, or slang to refer to the job - that's how people get hurt. (Obviously, nobody is going to get hurt {physically} here, but still...)

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is it that everybody on this site feels obligated to use nicknames and initials to refer to players? That was the one HUGE thing I was taught on the job - don't use shortcuts, or abbreviations, or slang to refer to the job - that's how people get hurt. (Obviously, nobody is going to get hurt {physically} here, but still...)

You can't think of a reason why people abbreviate or use slang or use players' nicknames on a sports message board on the internet?

:think:

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see a punt, but maybe not an all-in. I think the all-in moment will be '16. Maybe they make a bid for Price or Szmardfgjiugtvcddre when they become FAs.

Mostly a semantic difference, I meant I get the feeling they are not going to give it their all for next year, it's too many holes and not the right pieces out there to fill them reasonably, and with an eye toward long term considerations. They'll sign a guy or two but I bet the conversations are like "yeah Panda's asking just too much, we'll try Timmy and sign Vogey to a 1 year deal, see what Perez and Ishi and Blanco can do in left, get a warm body for 3B, etc. But then when Vogey, Scoots, Timmah, and Huddy are gone we have some coin to reload, and maybe a youngster or two steps up"

Not saying that's for sure the way they'll play it but it's a very strong possibility, and as I've said before, I think it's a pretty smart way to play it and think long term as opposed to signing bad deals to really push next year.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1) it's a sports message board, not work.

2) it's a HELL of a lot easier to type "NM" than it is to type "Nick Markakis". If he hadn't already been the topic of convo, maybe I wouldn't have used the shortcut, but as-is, if you can't figure out who "NM" is, I can't help you.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget the Giants have Daniel Carbonell. He might be ready to move up.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget the Giants have Daniel Carbonell. He might be ready to move up.

He did not do well in the AFL. I doubt he is ready for a starting gig in the majors just yet.

Going into ST without an external solution to the OF is not a good idea

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it's only a 1/15 shot. But Joel Sherman of NY Post reports that Rays are on verge of trading SP Jeremy Hellickson to a national league team.

We need another SP....maybe?

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it's only a 1/15 shot. But Joel Sherman of NY Post reports that Rays are on verge of trading SP Jeremy Hellickson to a national league team.

We need another SP....maybe?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hellije01.shtml?redir

I'm suspect. He did not fare well the last two years - arm problems? I also admit I have a bias for starting pitchers to be big guys - 6'4" 235 lbs, like that. Big, easy motions. Spoiled by Cain then Bum, I know. JH is 6'1" 190.

Plus, what would we have to give up? If it's a mid-level prospect, and Sabes has info that he can return to 2010-2012 form, it could be a good dumpster dive.

Gold Glove award in 2012. That doesn't hurt, and says something good about him - athleticism, work ethic perhaps, desire to excel.

Is this better than just re-signing Vogey? Just asking.

Last edited by a moderator:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's always a matter of what you give up, but on balance I'd stick with Tron over Hellickson. Unless Rags and Co. see something they can fix.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me going into 2015 will be the year of questions .... 3B, LF and my biggest concern ... SP. We have Bum and then it's a complete crap shoot. Cain is coming off surgery. Huddy is 40. Voggey has been questionable the last two years. Timmy as a SP terrifies me. We all know that Petit is great out of the pen but questionable as a starter. IMHO last year happened simply because we had that fantastic start. We went 41-19. After that we sort just hung there and then Bum had the post season of the ages. Can't expect that all to happen again. Huddy was a big part of the 41-19 start. Not sure that's even remotely possible this year. I tend to agree with whoever said (Cal I think) that we won't throw in the towel but we won't go all in either. With so many open questions I do think that's the best approach ....

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me going into 2015 will be the year of questions .... 3B, LF and my biggest concern ... SP. We have Bum and then it's a complete crap shoot. Cain is coming off surgery. Huddy is 40. Voggey has been questionable the last two years. Timmy as a SP terrifies me. We all know that Petit is great out of the pen but questionable as a starter. IMHO last year happened simply because we had that fantastic start. We went 41-19. After that we sort just hung there and then Bum had the post season of the ages. Can't expect that all to happen again. Huddy was a big part of the 41-19 start. Not sure that's even remotely possible this year. I tend to agree with whoever said (Cal I think) that we won't throw in the towel but we won't go all in either. With so many open questions I do think that's the best approach ....

A blind person can see we will have a VERY uphill road in 2015. We've seen this movie before, twice in fact...we win a ring, we spend just enough to stand pat or to overpay/reward someone, and we miss the playoffs (that we barely made in 2010 and 2014). I really don't see 2015 any different. But this is perfectly fine with me, and it beats making stupid long term decisions to force it if the 2015 window just isn't there. And the movie continues in 2016, lots of $ off the books, more time for kids to come up...and we win again in 2016!

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously it depends on price. But I'd prefer Hellickson.

He did struggle past two years in TB but was playing in a hitter-friendly AL East. Feel he has more upside and our pitching coaches could help work with him, turn him around in a better situation. Only 28 and ARB eligible the next two years. He had three good years to start out. Another year removed from TJS, should be better in 2015

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am too ignorant on Hellickson to have an opinion on him just yet. But what would it cost to get him? Blackburn? Osich? Brown? Am I WAY over-valuing him? WAY under-valuing? I have no idea...

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A blind person can see we will have a VERY uphill road in 2015. We've seen this movie before, twice in fact...we win a ring, we spend just enough to stand pat or to overpay/reward someone, and we miss the playoffs (that we barely made in 2010 and 2014). I really don't see 2015 any different. But this is perfectly fine with me, and it beats making stupid long term decisions to force it if the 2015 window just isn't there. And the movie continues in 2016, lots of $ off the books, more time for kids to come up...and we win again in 2016!

The fact though that we play 54 games against arguably the 3 worst teams in the league next year should help some. They've got enough to get back to the post season and then, as we know very well, all bets are off.