• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Rosterbation

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact though that we play 54 games against arguably the 3 worst teams in the league next year should help some. They've got enough to get back to the post season and then, as we know very well, all bets are off.

Don't look past San Diego. They always play us tough and they have one of the best, unknown pitching staffs in all of baseball. I don't think they will compete with LA or SF for the division, but they are not a push-over.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't look past San Diego. They always play us tough and they have one of the best, unknown pitching staffs in all of baseball. I don't think they will compete with LA or SF for the division, but they are not a push-over.

Agreed. D-Backs also should have a healthy Goldschmidt, Trumbo.

Will get Patrick Corbin, Bronson Arroyo back and likely add another SP this offseason.

Bot SD and ARI will be very competitive teams

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. D-Backs also should have a healthy Goldschmidt, Trumbo.

Will get Patrick Corbin, Bronson Arroyo back and likely add another SP this offseason.

Bot SD and ARI will be very competitive teams

And Colorado started 2014 winning plenty of games, then they got ravaged by injury too. Frankly the 54 games vs bad teams is flat wrong.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude can still hit, but he is a SERIOUS liability with a glove on his hand.

Michael Cuddyer Statistics and History | Baseball-Reference.com

Looks like a "get a name in here at all costs" kind of move for the Mets.

This move reminds me a LOT of the Michael Tucker signing.

This is a sign of an organization that has no faith in their farm system, and will punt a decent pick in order to get a questionable, slight improvement in the now (when they really aren't contending now anyway).

These kinds of moves just baffle me.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is a sign of an organization that has no faith in their farm system, and will punt a decent pick in order to get a questionable, slight improvement in the now (when they really aren't contending now anyway).

Me too. I think it is not about trying to win, but about trying to put fannies in the seats.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too. I think it is not about trying to win, but about trying to put fannies in the seats.

They are competing for page 9 real estate.

Again, sounds a lot like the Giants of the mid-00s.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are competing for page 9 real estate.

Again, sounds a lot like the Giants of the mid-00s.

You make it sound like we way overpaid for a popular player who turned out to be a bust. We never did that, did we?

:whistle::whistle:

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Colorado started 2014 winning plenty of games, then they got ravaged by injury too. Frankly the 54 games vs bad teams is flat wrong.

We'll see I suppose. I expect Colorado to be as bad as they were this year and AZ to be even worse. San Diego? They always seem to find a way to fail.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see I suppose. I expect Colorado to be as bad as they were this year and AZ to be even worse. San Diego? They always seem to find a way to fail.

I'm not saying they will contend (one might, there's always a surprise team like KC or Milwaukee was this year), but 1 of them will be around .500. They definitely won't be the 3 worst teams in the league.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like that's a lot to give up for a 36 yo OF who has averaged less than 100 games a year the last three seasons.

If you check out that Grantland article I put in another thread it's easy to see why: the free agent cupboard is bare. Punt, Sabean, punt!

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you check out that Grantland article I put in another thread it's easy to see why: the free agent cupboard is bare. Punt, Sabean, punt!

No, I get that. However, it's kind of what cal has been saying re: Pablo. You don't do a deal just to do a deal. Irrespective of how bare the cupboard is, you don't give up that to get Cuddyer.

I don't think Sabes will make a bad deal. Even for Pablo.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Living in NY .... there are other concerns that the Mets have. They have a nice pitching staff with Gee, Niese, deGrom, Wheeler and Harvey (hopefully). They also have Colon but so what!

They have very little offense outside of Duda and Wright. They have a lot of problems scoring runs.
The typical Met fan LOVES their pitching and that's what drives them to the ball park. That's what takes me to their ballpark. The LAST thing they want to do is trade it away for offense. Not sure the fan base would be at all happy about that. Signing Cuddyer was an attempt to fill that gap without selling off their pitching.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Living in NY .... there are other concerns that the Mets have. They have a nice pitching staff with Gee, Niese, deGrom, Wheeler and Harvey (hopefully). They also have Colon but so what!

They have very little offense outside of Duda and Wright. They have a lot of problems scoring runs.
The typical Met fan LOVES their pitching and that's what drives them to the ball park. That's what takes me to their ballpark. The LAST thing they want to do is trade it away for offense. Not sure the fan base would be at all happy about that. Signing Cuddyer was an attempt to fill that gap without selling off their pitching.

If draft pick trading were possible, and the Rockies had Cuddyer under contract for the next 2 years at 21M, would the you think it was a good trade for the Mets to send the #21 pick to Colorado for Cuddyer?

I am not sure that's a good trade. But if the Mets do, than it doesn't matter what I think.

Also, it has been brought up that this opens the door for them to be more aggressive with the other QO FAs. If the Mets get another big FA, this deal makes a LOT more sense.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I get that. However, it's kind of what cal has been saying re: Pablo. You don't do a deal just to do a deal. Irrespective of how bare the cupboard is, you don't give up that to get Cuddyer.

I don't think Sabes will make a bad deal. Even for Pablo.

Probably true, they should have learned the lessons of Zito, Huff, Scutaro...

Hence 2015 will be....challenging. And that's FINE....Sabean is a master of the long game.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They are just trying to push Bobby Bonilla down the list of their highest paid outfielders.

:lol:

July 1 is Bobby Bonilla's day to get paid by Mets - CBSSports.com

It's July 1, so that means Bobby Bonilla got a check for $1,193,248.20 today, just as he will every July 1 through 2035. That's due to a deferral clause from when the Mets bought out the final year of Bonilla's contract before the 2000 season.

:omg:

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are just trying to push Bobby Bonilla down the list of their highest paid outfielders.

:lol:

July 1 is Bobby Bonilla's day to get paid by Mets - CBSSports.com

It's July 1, so that means Bobby Bonilla got a check for $1,193,248.20 today, just as he will every July 1 through 2035. That's due to a deferral clause from when the Mets bought out the final year of Bonilla's contract before the 2000 season.

:omg:

That check gets smaller and smaller each year due to inflation, a fact the Mets beancounters surely understood, and perhaps Bonilla did not...