• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Rosterbation

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. I'm reminded all the time about my lack of knowledge of this game. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about baseball but just today I saw a headline that said "Kluber wins A.L. Cy Young Award". I thought, WTF?, I've never even heard this guys name before. That might tell you who you are dealing with here. How is it possible that a baseball lover has never heard of the A.L. Cy winner?

Because he pitches in a crap town in a carnival league?

:pound:

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because he pitches in a crap town in a carnival league?

:pound:

Must be. I'm definitely not a fan of American League baseball. The DH does make it seem less than pure and "carnival" describes it perfectly.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, fun question for everyone:

If you could add any one player from SFG history (1958 onward) to the current team, who would it be?

Bonus question: Who would you add from our history that you could expect to sign for less than $10 million per year?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you could add any one player from SFG history (1958 onward) to the current team, who would it be?

Bonus question: Who would you add from our history that you could expect to sign for less than $10 million per year?

In order:
1. Mays
2. Barry
3. Marichal

Bonus:
2010 Timmy

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Our big holes right now are 3B, SP and LF.

For LF, I would go with Mays (he would obviously play center with Pagan moving over).

Clubhouse is super important, so, while GOAT is a total stud, I don't see him and Bochy getting along, so he gets eliminated.

Mays has had a strong relationship with the org for as long as I can remember, but I am totally ignorant about his playing days personality. I think it safe to assume he would do what needed to be done to get a ring. Being in the same clubhouse with Pence, Posey, Bum and Bochy would be interesting, because he would not NEED to be a leader.

At 3B, I think the only contenders would be Williams and Hart. Of the two, though, I think I gotta pick Williams. He had about as solid a 4-year run as can be had from '92 to '95. In 10 - 15 years, Panda will/should be discussed in this class. His actions in the '12 and '14 series' alone puts him in the discussion.

As for SP, we have a lot of candidates. Swift, Schmidt, Montefusco, lincecum, Marichell. I think I would go with '08/'09 Timmeh, though. He was absolutely terrifying. No one wanted to face him. He was the best pitcher in the game for that 2-year span.

Of these three candidates, it is hard to choose between Timmeh and Mays. If you are looking for just 1 year, I think I have to take Timmeh. If you are looking at someone who are going to place into your lineup and move forward, I go Mays.

As for the guy who we could get for < 10M for 1 year...

Bill Mueller?
'11 Vogelsong?

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, I should have stipulated that the $10 million dollar player:

1) is not currently on our roster

2) is a hypothetical free agent

Just trying to make you put your "GM on a budget" hat on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Willie Mays

Bonus Question: George Foster (before we gave him to the Reds)

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Willie Mays

Bonus Question: George Foster (before we gave him to the Reds)

Cute, but not in the spirit of the question. I'm not giving you a crystal ball in that sense, as in "what was the biggest roster mistake we ever made?"

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cute, but not in the spirit of the question. I'm not giving you a crystal ball in that sense, as in "what was the biggest roster mistake we ever made?"

Had to include "before we gave him to the Reds" because post trade-we'd never get him under the 10 Mil stipulation you gave.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants pursuing Tomas as a 3B just shifted into a higher gear:

Latest On Yasmany Tomas ? MLB Trade Rumors

"Hall of Fame reporter Peter Gammons hears that Giants special assistant Felipe Alou is pushing the team to sign Tomas as a third baseman (Twitter link). Gammons also hears that the Phillies would likely have to clear some money in order to add Tomas."

Panda deke or the the real deal? Tomas's agent is Felipe's nephew.

The plot thickens.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants pursuing Tomas as a 3B just shifted into a higher gear:

Latest On Yasmany Tomas ? MLB Trade Rumors

"Hall of Fame reporter Peter Gammons hears that Giants special assistant Felipe Alou is pushing the team to sign Tomas as a third baseman (Twitter link). Gammons also hears that the Phillies would likely have to clear some money in order to add Tomas."

Panda deke or the the real deal? Tomas's agent is Felipe's nephew.

The plot thickens.

Yes.

Either/or.

MAYBE even get both. Signing Tomas would be a good safety net, but it may also give Panda more reason to stay -- another bat in the lineup and another "Latin" player to hang out with.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF (IF IF IF IF) the Giants think Tomas is a legit starting-quality player, than a 7/70 - 7/90 contract would not be a bad deal. Getting a starter for 10-13M aav is a good deal.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes.

Either/or.

MAYBE even get both. Signing Tomas would be a good safety net, but it may also give Panda more reason to stay -- another bat in the lineup and another "Latin" player to hang out with.

If only I had studied more Latin in HS....:whistle:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kershaw won the MVP. He didn't get "my vote", but I am basically OK with his taking the award. He was an absolute BEAST this year.

It is the Dodgers 1st MVP since 1988, when Gibby won it. This got me thinking...

Lets compare our franchises since '88 (lets include their big year, just make it fair)...

World Series Championships
------------------------------
Giants - 3
Dodgers - 1

World Series Appearances
----------------------------
Giants - 5
Dodgers - 1

NL West Titles
---------------
Giants - 6
Dodgers - 8

MVPs
-----
Giants - 10
Dodgers - 2

Cy Youngs
-----------
Giants - 2
Dodgers - 5

Rookies of the Year
---------------------
Giants - 1
Dodgers - 5

Managers of the Year
-----------------------
Giants - 3
Dodgers - 1

The Giants CRUSH them in Pennants, Championships, and MVPs. The Giants beat them in MOYs.

They beat the Giants in CYs, ROY, and slightly in Divisions.

They had 5 consecutive ROYs. I remember how impressive that was when it was happening, but it is still impressive when looking bask at it. However, the Giants did take 5 consecutive MVPs and 3 Championships in 5 years...

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants now have 20 WS appearances in franchise history (they were tied with the Cardinals at 19 until this year). 8-12 record.

Second to, of course, the Yankees (40 appearances :omg:)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants now have 20 WS appearances in franchise history (they were tied with the Cardinals at 19 until this year). 8-12 record.

Second to, of course, the Yankees (40 appearances :omg:)

Damn.

So it is going to take us 8 years to get to .500?

That sucks.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kershaw won the MVP. He didn't get "my vote", but I am basically OK with his taking the award. He was an absolute BEAST this year.

It is the Dodgers 1st MVP since 1988, when Gibby won it. This got me thinking...

Lets compare our franchises since '88 (lets include their big year, just make it fair)...

World Series Championships
------------------------------
Giants - 3
Dodgers - 1

World Series Appearances
----------------------------
Giants - 5
Dodgers - 1

NL West Titles
---------------
Giants - 6
Dodgers - 8

MVPs
-----
Giants - 10
Dodgers - 2

Cy Youngs
-----------
Giants - 2
Dodgers - 5

Rookies of the Year
---------------------
Giants - 1
Dodgers - 5

Managers of the Year
-----------------------
Giants - 3
Dodgers - 1

The Giants CRUSH them in Pennants, Championships, and MVPs. The Giants beat them in MOYs.

They beat the Giants in CYs, ROY, and slightly in Divisions.

They had 5 consecutive ROYs. I remember how impressive that was when it was happening, but it is still impressive when looking bask at it. However, the Giants did take 5 consecutive MVPs and 3 Championships in 5 years...

Who did?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

McCutchen.

I had Kershaw 3rd. Primarily because I do not favor pitchers gets MVPs. I will only go with a pitcher if there are no position player options. This year, there were 2. Although, granted, neither McCutchen nor Stanton had MONSTER years.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCutchen.

I had Kershaw 3rd. Primarily because I do not favor pitchers gets MVPs. I will only go with a pitcher if there are no position player options. This year, there were 2. Although, granted, neither McCutchen nor Stanton had MONSTER years.

McCutchen is an excellent player but tough to say that anyone was more valuable to his team than Kershaw was to his. I'm OK with the pick.