• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Pitching roster

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cal saved me writing. So now I'll just use this time to say

Thanks Cal!

Now just re; Papelbon

Enormous contract, enormous ego (I can deal with ego more from every day guys/SP than relievers, just me)

He has had some luck this year with the baBIP when compared to career averages.

He does leave a lot of guys on base (84 % this year, highest since 2007)

Also just feel like prospects would be wasted by trading for Papelbon. He isn't going to make the difference on if this is a WS team or not and if he is the one "big" move, that's not a nice contract.

If we can't find a CF or another No.3 SP, this isn't a great contending team, with or without Papelbon. Would rather just keep whichever specs we trade for him and keep the cash

I think you have to look at improving your team wherever you can, and the current market is probably best suited for a reliever. Getting Pap would push everyone back an inning and thus make our entire bullpen stronger. Also, it would allow us to go with 12, instead of 13 pitchers and strengthen our bench.

We are not going to deal for an elite SP, and I see no reason to add another middle to back of the rotation guy into a 7 man mix.

I also just can't see an OF out there who would be a significant upgrade. A starter would be cost prohibitive, but they may try to upgrade the bench with a Jackson type from Seattle. Outside of Cueto, Hamels and maybe Shields, I don't know there are any real difference making SPs to get and we don't have the chips to beat out other teams offers.

I think we're looking at relief help.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We know THudd is getting activated on Monday, but no corresponding move has been hinted at yet.

Here are the four options I think are on the table, in order of likelyhood...

1) DFA Machi - Maybe they find a way to DL him instead. Not sure there is much point in that, though. The pen is crowded, and he has been ineffective for almost a full calendar year at this point. Time to move on.

2) DL a different Bully arm - I can see Romo or KCYa getting an extended ASB.

3) Option Strickland or Osich - If the Giants really want to make the playoffs this year, these are not true options. These guys have been too effective. But if the Gs are more concerned with asset retention, one if these guys is going down.

4) Trade - There may be either a dump-trade or a trade that moves two of our bully pieces in exchange for one (such as a deal involving KCYa and Strickland for Chapman)

Are there other options, even at the brainstorm-level, that I am missing?

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We know THudd is getting activated on Monday, but no corresponding move has been hinted at yet.

Here are the four options I think are on the table, in order of likelyhood...

1) DFA Machi - Maybe they find a way to DL him instead. Not sure there is much point in that, though. The pen is crowded, and he has been ineffective for almost a full calendar year at this point. Time to move on.

2) DL a different Bully arm - I can see Romo or KCYa getting an extended ASB.

3) Option Strickland or Osich - If the Giants really want to make the playoffs this year, these are not true options. These guys have been too effective. But if the Gs are more concerned with asset retention, one if these guys is going down.

4) Trade - There may be either a dump-trade or a trade that moves two of our bully pieces in exchange for one (such as a deal involving KCYa and Strickland for Chapman)

Are there other options, even at the brainstorm-level, that I am missing?

Sounds like Patty is coming back, which would require Osich to be sent down. Patty pitched a scoreless inning in Sacto last night. He is a gamer, and has the experience, but he has not at all been effective of late. Perhaps due to injury or fatigue? I think Osich's day will come, but it will not be yet if they bring Patty back.

I think we do need an additional reliever, and Dancing Machine is the one who should go. If our starters falter, we do need another starter. Bum and Moses are fine, they are both averaging over 6 innings per start. But no one else is. That puts a HUGE strain on a bullpen. I think part of the ineffectiveness of the bullpen is the overuse due to starters going 4-5 innings a start.

Bum = 6.6 IPS (innings per start)

Moses = 6.2 IPS

THud = 6.15 IPS

Vogey = 5.6 IPS

Cain = 5.5 IPS (SSS 2 starts)

Peavy = 5.25 IPS (SSS 4 starts)

BT = 5.08 IPS