• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Offseason Summary

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers' position-by-position offseason needs | CSN Bay Area

Interesting summary by Matt Maiocco. Much of this the fans already know. I think Maiocco is offbase with Crabtree. Just because the team wants to commit to run more this year doesn't mean they are going to three yards and a cloud of dust. Crabtree isn't worth it because he is injury prone and didn't look good last year.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need a WR that changes the offense, we need back up TE, need some depth on the Dline and oline. We have a couple holes but I think we will be fine after offseason is done. Just keep drafting well and signing our players and then finding the right pieces in FA class and we are good.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We need a WR that changes the offense, we need back up TE, need some depth on the Dline and oline. We have a couple holes but I think we will be fine after offseason is done. Just keep drafting well and signing our players and then finding the right pieces in FA class and we are good.

yep, drafting is always the best way to go......assuming you can draft well?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You don't want Vance McDonald or Carrier?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
just going by Need, seems the same as last year....WR and CB?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just going by Need, seems the same as last year....WR and CB?

WR is a no brainer. CB I am not sure is a big need. It really depends on whether Cox and/or Culliver are resigned. The 49ers have four rookie corners coming back from last year. Not sure how many corners the teams is going to need

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If VD is a cap causality or traded that's the only way I think we need a TE. We have 5 TEs under contract VD, McDonald, Carrier, Cleveland and Grimble. Celek is a FA but I think Carrier played pretty good last year and we don't need to resign Celek also Cleveland and Grimble will be cut. We shouldn't need more than 3 TEs.

Now at CB we had 5 CBs and Ward to make a 6th. I would guess we prolly have 5-6 CBs next year also to go with Jimmie. Brock, Johnson and Reaser to me are locks to make the roster. Now Acker is on the bubble and if we bring back both Cox and Culliver I don't like his odds of making the team. If Brock, Cox, Culliver, Ward, Johnson and Reaser end up being or CBs we might not even have room on the team for another CB. But I'm all for drafting Ifo from Oregon to make it 6 CBs and Ward.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
WR is a no brainer. CB I am not sure is a big need. It really depends on whether Cox and/or Culliver are resigned. The 49ers have four rookie corners coming back from last year. Not sure how many corners the teams is going to need

Dline potentially losing Justin Smith, Aldon? Ray? Changing to 4-3? We need a couple more!! Go 49ers!!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Since both Cox and Culliver are FA's, at this point we can't count them. So we have Brock coming back from serious injury, and Dontae Johnson who IMO, played enough to pass 'rookie' status. Cook?

Yes, we have Reaser and Acker to "try out", but they weren't HIGH picks last year? So depends on how comfortable you are they'll pan out?

Now i wouldn't "panic" if they didn't take a CB high, but to me it still looks weak.....even counting Cox? Plus, CB's tend to go down easily during the season, so depth is more key than most other spots.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dline potentially losing Justin Smith, Aldon? Ray? Changing to 4-3? We need a couple more!! Go 49ers!!

We are staying at a 3-4. Also yes we need a CB. This team has been missing a top CB for some time now.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mangini has not spoken publicly about his vision for the 49ers’ defense, but it appears the 49ers will be sticking with the 3-4 scheme he inherits after four seasons of Vic Fangio running the show.

“My X’s and O’s philosophy are quite simply you build a team to a scheme,” new 49ers coach Jim Tomsula said at his introductory press conference.

And when asked whether the 49ers would keep using a 3-4 approach, the man who acquires the talent, general manager Trent Baalke, said, “Yeah, our personnel is fit for that right now.”

Mangini has primarily run 3-4 schemes in his previous three jobs with New England, the New York Jets and Cleveland Browns. And a person involved in the interview process told CSNBayArea.com that it was his belief the 49ers wanted to maintain continuity by keeping the 3-4 defense.

As Baalke stated, the 49ers are built for a 3-4. Aldon Smith and Aaron Lynch, presumptive starters next season, appear to be better-suited to play base downs at outside linebacker – rather than being hand-in-the-dirt defensive linemen. Ahmad Brooks' future with the team is in doubt due to his scheduled $6.85 million salary.

[RELATED: 49ers' position-by-position offseason needs]

Of course, the 49ers employ a four-man line roughly 50 percent of the time anyway, as part of their pass-rush package when they go with five or six defensive backs. That means their outside linebackers drop down to play defensive end on passing downs.

wow, didn't think the percentage was that high? But guess it makes sense with more and more passing nowadays.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since both Cox and Culliver are FA's, at this point we can't count them. So we have Brock coming back from serious injury, and Dontae Johnson who IMO, played enough to pass 'rookie' status. Cook?

Yes, we have Reaser and Acker to "try out", but they weren't HIGH picks last year? So depends on how comfortable you are they'll pan out?

Now i wouldn't "panic" if they didn't take a CB high, but to me it still looks weak.....even counting Cox? Plus, CB's tend to go down easily during the season, so depth is more key than most other spots.

I think Tramaine Brock is a good corner and should be okay if he is healthy. Either Cox or Culliver would be ok as the other corner. I really like what I've seen from Donate Johnson in his limited playing time. I would rather draft CB in later rounds unless there is an earlier round steal

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If VD is a cap causality or traded that's the only way I think we need a TE. We have 5 TEs under contract VD, McDonald, Carrier, Cleveland and Grimble. Celek is a FA but I think Carrier played pretty good last year and we don't need to resign Celek also Cleveland and Grimble will be cut. We shouldn't need more than 3 TEs.

Now at CB we had 5 CBs and Ward to make a 6th. I would guess we prolly have 5-6 CBs next year also to go with Jimmie. Brock, Johnson and Reaser to me are locks to make the roster. Now Acker is on the bubble and if we bring back both Cox and Culliver I don't like his odds of making the team. If Brock, Cox, Culliver, Ward, Johnson and Reaser end up being or CBs we might not even have room on the team for another CB. But I'm all for drafting Ifo from Oregon to make it 6 CBs and Ward.

You forgot about TE Trey Millard. Dude is a beast and will be the 3rd TE this year. He is a Gronk like TE. He will be more a HB like Walker, but taller and faster. Carrier, Cleveland, and Grimble will be cut or practice squad material.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You forgot about TE Trey Millard. Dude is a beast and will be the 3rd TE this year. He is a Gronk like TE. He will be more a HB like Walker, but taller and faster. Carrier, Cleveland, and Grimble will be cut or practice squad material.

I didnt count him cuz he is listed as a FB for us.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I didnt count him cuz he is listed as a FB for us.

I'm assuming he'd play something of an H-back role with us, probably some TE and some lining up in the backfield. But his best chance of making an impact by far seems to be at TE, IMO, as Bruce is a pretty savvy catcher at FB already, and a great blocker.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When he was drafted the 49ers said it would be to play TE.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2015 NFL Mock Draft: Leonard Williams goes No. 2 to Titans - NFL - SI.com

1. Trae Waynes
2. Dorial Green-Beckham

don't know if DGB is solid value or not, but do like the CB-WR (or WR-CB) combination high up. I already read about DGB's measurable, so referring to his other areas affecting "solid value".

This would be a nice 1st and 2nd rd pick for us. I think DGB has the most upside out of any Wr in the draft but he also has the lowest ceiling because of the field stuff.