• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 draft

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft order is set; we pick 18 and 31. $7.82MM pool.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft order is set; we pick 18 and 31. $7.82MM pool.

It does my heart good to see that we are now taking our minor league system seriously, and that it Is regularly producing quality prospects and replacements, if not outright stars.

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Larry Krueger was talking about a local HS kid named Hooper LHP 275 pounds. He might be the first pick or he may go to UCLA. Big kid.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We pick 18th because of all the teams ahead of us that lost draft picks by signing guys like Sandoval. We pick 31st because of Sandoval.

There is the first round, ranked in reverse order of final regular season standings (playing in W.S. doesn't change anything), the compensation round, where teams who lost free agents with qualifying offers are awarded a draft pick as compensation, and then there is the competitive balance round, which is a lottery based round for small market teams only. Then it's the second round and so on.

Teams that sign a player with a qualifying offer and are ranked outside of the top 12 [10?] lose their first round pick. It doesn't go to the team losing the free agent though, like the old process. Quite simply, the team losing the player gains a compensation round pick, which is held between the first round and the competitive balance round.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We pick 18th because of all the teams ahead of us that lost draft picks by signing guys like Sandoval. We pick 31st because of Sandoval.

There is the first round, ranked in reverse order of final regular season standings (playing in W.S. doesn't change anything), the compensation round, where teams who lost free agents with qualifying offers are awarded a draft pick as compensation, and then there is the competitive balance round, which is a lottery based round for small market teams only. Then it's the second round and so on.

Teams that sign a player with a qualifying offer and are ranked outside of the top 12 [10?] lose their first round pick. It doesn't go to the team losing the free agent though, like the old process. Quite simply, the team losing the player gains a compensation round pick, which is held between the first round and the competitive balance round.

Small correction.

Only the first 10 non-compensation picks are protected. This year the top 11 were protected because Houston has the #2 pick as compensation for not signing Aiken last year.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does my heart good to see that we are now taking our minor league system seriously, and that it Is regularly producing quality prospects and replacements, if not outright stars.

Giants have the 10th most money to spend on the draft as well. I've really liked the way they've approached the draft recently. And I like our chances of someone falling to the Giants this year. It's really nice picking almost twice in the first round coming off winning the World Series, and having a good chunk of money to spend.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Small correction.

Only the first 10 non-compensation picks are protected. This year the top 11 were protected because Houston has the #2 pick as compensation for not signing Aiken last year.

Thanks, I wasn't sure if it was 10 or 12.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, I wasn't sure if it was 10 or 12.

It used to be just the top 10 picks, period. But the Mets chase of Bourne a couple years ago shined a light on the oversight, so now compensation picks in the top 10 are protected as well as the first 10 non-compensation picks.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thanks. Sure seems a convoluted process.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Small correction.

I explained this quite while ago. In great detail.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 + 2 = 4.

Apparently, some things need to be repeated over and over and ...