• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Draft

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As mentioned in a reply from someone on that tweet, Sean Couturier wasn't interviewed by the Flyers when he got drafted

Part of it is a smokescreen but part of it can also be that they don't have as many doubts about those players and maybe want to take more time to know about some of the other players

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As mentioned in a reply from someone on that tweet, Sean Couturier wasn't interviewed by the Flyers when he got drafted

Part of it is a smokescreen but part of it can also be that they don't have as many doubts about those players and maybe want to take more time to know about some of the other players

Not sure Couturier is a fair comparison. At the combine our earliest pick was the 4th round. Only acquired the Couturier and Cousins picks the day before the draft.

Unless Carchidi is flat out wrong (Which might be the case) I am not sure there is any benefit from not interviewing him.

EDIT: From Barzal himself at 1:40

Last edited:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been on that train for a while - not necessarily packaging him and that pick, because I'd love to have a third first rounder in this draft, but they really need to cash in on him now - there's such a log jam on defense and they could get rid of his contract + get a draft pick

I'm ok with doing that as long as the return is big and everyone is prepared to be very porous on defense next year.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How far and ahead do you guys feel Provorov is to the possible forwards available at 7 if at all? Seems like some view him as the clear cut choice if available. I wouldn't mind Barzal or Zacha myself. Really don't want Crouse or Rantanen who get pegged for us often in mock drafts. A name that is coming up a lot is Kyle Connor. Any chance they take Connor with Provorov, Barzal and Zacha still on the board?

From the stuff I've read, Provorov might be the most NHL-ready dman in the draft. But dmen are typically a good bit behind forwards in terms of NHL-readiness. I expect if the Flyers drafted any of the guys you mentioned, they're at least a year out from the NHL. Provorov (or Hanifin, or Werenski) I would say is probably at least 2 years out from a full time spot in the NHL. They may play sparingly as a call up in year 2.

Forwards, I think Rantanen is pretty close from what I've read. He's already been playing against men in Finland so that won't be a concern. But he would probably need a little time to get used to the smaller rink. If they drafted him, he'd probably start this year in the AHL, but could maybe work in sparingly when injuries n such hit. Maybe next year for full time duty. Crouse I'm not really sure. I expect they'd be super patient with him, and hope he can develop a little more offensive pop with an extra year in juniors. Barzal needs to bulk up a bit, I'd say another year in juniors then compete for a spot next fall. Probably same for Zacha.

I don't think they'd take Connor ahead of Provorov, Barzal, or Zacha. But predicting the Flyers draft is probably one of the harder teams to predict.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=769968&navid=DL|PHI|home

The Flyers never interviewed Simon Gagne before drafting him 22nd overall in 1998, yet seemed to have a good handle on what he might become regardless.

Well there is that. I don't know what to believe

Meltzer kind of addressed the interview question in his comments today. said it basically meant nothing. for all we know, the Flyers could have chosen not to interview someone because they felt like they had the whole story on him already. They've talked to these guys all year, not interviewing them at the combine is not a big deal, according to Bill.

Bill also said Barzal was his pick if the draft goes as expected.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think it's getting to the point where I might need help with depression if Barzal is on the board and the Flyers don't take him.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think it's getting to the point where I might need help with depression if Barzal is on the board and the Flyers don't take him.

Haha! The Flyers have historically drafted well in the 1st round, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt regardless, until they prove otherwise. It's the evaluation of current NHL players that has been questionable (free agency, trades).

I truly do think they are playing games with the information they leak, and that by NOT interviewing Barzal it is actually a sign that they really like him and are trying to scare off other teams by insinuating their lack of interest in him. Or, maybe my thoughts are just a product of having watched Draft Day twice recently....

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha! The Flyers have historically drafted well in the 1st round, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt regardless, until they prove otherwise. It's the evaluation of current NHL players that has been questionable (free agency, trades).

I truly do think they are playing games with the information they leak, and that by NOT interviewing Barzal it is actually a sign that they really like him and are trying to scare off other teams by insinuating their lack of interest in him. Or, maybe my thoughts are just a product of having watched Draft Day twice recently....

I agree. They really have done a pretty good job at the draft. Though I still don't particularly like the Laughton pick. And I don't love the Morin pick. However, both guys have the opportunity to prove me wrong. Morin at least looks like he could be on a path to doing that.

It just seems like the only reason Barzal might be available at 7 is because he was hurt. He was #4 in the preseason rankings. And he did nothing but show he deserved to be that high when he returned from injury. If he's available, I think it would be downright silly not to pick him.

Provorov is turning in to the only guy I'd be ok with replacing him with. But I have a hunch that Provorov is gone when the Flyers pick. Just a feeling, but I think he goes higher than everyone expects.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just seems like the only reason Barzal might be available at 7 is because he was hurt. He was #4 in the preseason rankings. And he did nothing but show he deserved to be that high when he returned from injury. If he's available, I think it would be downright silly not to pick him.

Provorov is turning in to the only guy I'd be ok with replacing him with. But I have a hunch that Provorov is gone when the Flyers pick. Just a feeling, but I think he goes higher than everyone expects.

I was reading an article from a Devils' writer earlier today, who believes the only d-man the Devils would pick at 6 would be Hanifin if he falls. Otherwise, he says they're looking primarily at Marner (if he falls), Barzal or Zacha...for what it's worth...

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was reading an article from a Devils' writer earlier today, who believes the only d-man the Devils would pick at 6 would be Hanifin if he falls. Otherwise, he says they're looking primarily at Marner (if he falls), Barzal or Zacha...for what it's worth...

That's interesting. My reasoning for Provorov going higher is because I think lately people seem to be having Hanifin and Provorov almost equal as the top 2 dmen, with Provorov having the bigger wow factor (offensive abilities). Obviously the NJ writer would know more about their situation than me, but at the same time, I'm sure he's just going on his thoughts because the Devils don't share anything with the media/public haha. Writing for them would be a pain in the ass.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too many names I'd be fine with. Here is my current top 4 for each pick. 7th in particular is still just too wide open. Would still be fine with Crouse, Rantanen, or Conner

At 7th: Barzal, Provorov, Werenski, Zacha

Tampa's pick: Beauvillier, Debrusk, Carlsson, Kylington (If he falls)

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CHJgVa1VIAEvE7n.png:large

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would You Trade #7 Overall for Jonathan Drouin? - Broad Street Hockey

Interesting to say the least

I think this could be a very good deal for the Flyers but at the same time, this draft is really, really good

It could be like the Seguin deal where he was underused in Boston and went to Dallas and lit it up with Jamie Benn - Jonathan Drouin could have the same affect with Claude Giroux

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would You Trade #7 Overall for Jonathan Drouin? - Broad Street Hockey

Interesting to say the least

I think this could be a very good deal for the Flyers but at the same time, this draft is really, really good

It could be like the Seguin deal where he was underused in Boston and went to Dallas and lit it up with Jamie Benn - Jonathan Drouin could have the same affect with Claude Giroux

I'd definitely consider it, but a line of Drouin-Giroux-Voracek would be 3 pass-first players with questionable finishing ability. He could be a great fit with Simmonds on the 2nd line, though. They still desperately need a sniper, what Vinny was supposed to be when they signed him.