• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Draft

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Bill Meltzer:

Depending on whether the Lightning or the Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup Final, this is how the Flyers' 2015 draft picks will fall:

1st round - Flyers (7th overall), Tampa Bay (29th or 30th overall)
2nd round - Chicago (60th or 61st overall)
3rd round - San Jose (70th overall), Tampa Bay (90th or 91st overall)
4th round - Flyers (98th overall), Columbus (99th overall)
5th round - Flyers (128th overall)
6th round - Flyers (158th overall)
7th round - Flyers (188th overall)

When was the last time the Flyers had double digit picks in a single draft? This is great

They could always package a pick with another one to move up if they chose to, but this is still incredible

Think about this: Usually, if you have seven picks, half of them at the most end up being NHL caliber players at some point - so if you have 10 picks, then you could have success with five of them, which is a LOT

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another source that thinks Barzal goes to NJ at 6. I've been reading that a lot lately.

That would really disappoint me. I really would like to see the Flyers take him if he's available. I really think after the first 2 it can go any direction. Especially if Arizona takes Strome. I think the Leafs are desperate for him, if he's gone, who knows what they'll do.

I do wonder if Provorov climbs in to the top 5 as one of the most NHL-ready players. From most things I read on him, there's a decent chance he plays in the NHL next season. That could entice a team like Carolina that needs help on defense and needs to win to sell. Then of course there's Hanifin who seems to be fading a bit down the stretch.

To continue my rambling post awaz's mock draft (prior to the Flyers pick):

Edm - McDavid
Buf - Eichel
Ari - Strome
Tor - Marner
Car - Provorov
NJ - Hanifin

I really don't think the Devils go forward. They need d-men. Right now they only have 3 signed for next year. If Provorov or Hanifin are there, and they think they could play in the NHL, I think they take them.

So then the Flyers choice comes down to Barzal, Werenski, Connor, Meier, Rantanen, Crouse, Konecny? Or someone a little off the board.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading about Koncecny now.. he's climbing my list.

though he's apparently tiny.

edit: nevermind, read somewhere 5'9 - 160. mostly seeing 5-10 - 170 now. that's small, but not terribly small.

edit2: as the reading continues, his climb accelerates. elite skating, high end skill, and a ridiculous drive to win. sign me up. seems like a guy that you put with talent and watch him blow up the scoreboard.

Last edited:

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading about Koncecny now.. he's climbing my list.

though he's apparently tiny.

edit: nevermind, read somewhere 5'9 - 160. mostly seeing 5-10 - 170 now. that's small, but not terribly small.

edit2: as the reading continues, his climb accelerates. elite skating, high end skill, and a ridiculous drive to win. sign me up. seems like a guy that you put with talent and watch him blow up the scoreboard.
Hmm.. Sounds like maybe a Danny Briere type player.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can understand not drafting someone with ridiculous numbers if they are some little, unimpressive, dumb, player that feeds off a better player, the powerplay, orbits playing junior hockey players, but I really hope the Flyers have caught on the skill trumps size today. It isn't 2003. Duncan Keith and Tyler Johnson are Conn Smythe candidates. Johnny Gaudreau is in the running for the Calder. Claude Giroux is our best player. Danny Briere served us 6 seasons. Shayne Gostisbehere is one of our top prospects. Take the skill, it'll be worth it.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sportsnet's Top 30 NHL Draft Prospects - Sportsnet.ca

nothing really earth shattering.. they have Zacha pretty high and Konecny pretty low.

kinda feeling like a Barzal/Konecny + Kylington first round would be pretty cool.

also wondering how high the Flyers are on Svechnikov.

Last edited:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
reading more of the thread from nki.. some of my konecny love might be because he apparently loves him haha.. could be a little biased?

honestly there's a lot of guys I would be OK with at both picks the Flyers end up with.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both Barzal and Konecny have had the weirdest trajectories this season. Last summer/early season they were top 10 picks. Throughout the 1st half they dropped off and have now climbed back up. With the way the Flyers seem to be favoring risers Barzal and Konecny could be look at either way.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't like Crouse at all. He's the 1 prospect I've never warmed to in all the research. I just don't trust that a guy that big and strong, that projects to be that big, strong, powerful winger, would have as little offensive success as he did in juniors playing against kids. If he can't put up points when he's 5 inches and 30 pounds bigger than everyone, how is he going to do it in the NHL when everyone is his size? I don't like him at all. Not one bit. I wouldn't touch him in the first 15 picks.

If you're drafting him to be a energy 3rd line guy that can play dynamite D and score 20 goals, sure, maybe you take him. But I want more than that from the 7th pick in a deep draft. I want to potential 30-40 goal guy, or that 80-90 point guy (assuming this year was a weird year points wise and 90-100 is elite)

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Laughton and Morin picks just make me feel like we go Crouse. Flyers keep seeming to fall in love with someone and Crouse fits the bill. Hope he puts together his offensive game and becomes a beast. Again, I wouldn't mind Crouse...but I am kind of getting sick of projections. What about tangible, put together skill that will fall into our lap? We are essentially guaranteed Provorov or Barzal.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'm not interested in moving any of the young d-men (I'm not counting L Schenn in that statement, just the prospects), and would have no issues if the Flyers drafted another d-man at #7. Both teams in the finals yet again have Norris-caliber d-men (Keith, Hedman), and none of the Flyers d-man prospects project as a clear 1-2. They still need to find that piece before they'll be a real contender again. I also wouldn't mind if they moved up for Hanifin if they think he's the real deal.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'm not interested in moving any of the young d-men (I'm not counting L Schenn in that statement, just the prospects), and would have no issues if the Flyers drafted another d-man at #7. Both teams in the finals yet again have Norris-caliber d-men (Keith, Hedman), and none of the Flyers d-man prospects project as a clear 1-2. They still need to find that piece before they'll be a real contender again. I also wouldn't mind if they moved up for Hanifin if they think he's the real deal.

I think Hanifin and Provorov are pretty close. And I expect at least one of them to be available. Been reading a lot about how other teams' fans think they'll draft today (not interested in working). From what I can tell, Phoenix and maybe Carolina are really the only two ahead of the Flyers that could be looking at d-men. So that means one of them will be available, or Strome or Marner will be available. That's a no lose situation for the Flyers IMO.