• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Draft

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty close to how I feel. I like having Konecny that high. If we were to go off the board at #7, I hope it will at least be someone skilled like him.

Yep. Skill, proven production, and speed is what I'm most interested. Again, these big 'power forward' guys, sure maybe they take longer to develop, but I just don't trust that a 6'4 220lb guy producing at less than a ppg in juniors, is going to produce in the NHL. At that size, they should be feasting on the 14, 15, 16 year olds they're playing against that are 5-8, 160. If they're not, my eyebrows are raised and I'm very concerned about picking them. That's why I have guys like Crouse and Zacha so much lower than a lot of other places. Sounds like Crouse is an all-around guy that is very likely to be a top 9 NHL player. If he doesn't pan out as a scoring threat, he can still be a great 3rd line type guy. Which is nice and safe. But at #7 I want a guy that can be a difference maker offensively. It's boom or bust there for me. I'm willing to risk ending up with nothing for the chance at getting elite top 6 forward.

Granted, part of the reason I wanted to list em is so I had a list of guys to look at more :)

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm. I just read some background on Zacha. He may be a nice pick at 7. I have no interest in Crouse. My gut tells me he may be a bust? I won't be surprised however if Hexy takes a dman here, especially if he's the bpa on the board. My final thought, I wish Montreal could at least make a series out of playing TB.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with EVille on this one. I think it's a case of wanting want you don't have. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have Kane, but I think the general populous would view him much differently on the roster than off it. There are very few players that escape ridiculous scrutiny in Philly. Hell there are people (professional 'writers' included) saying the Flyers should be looking at trading Giroux. The Flyers haven't had a more complete player since Primeau, and I think Giroux is more offensively talented than Primeau ever was.

I think the Kane/Briere comparison is right on. There would be some fans that would love him for his work in the playoffs and not be overly concerned with the regular season, and there would be some fans driving the bus to take him out of town. I'll let you guys guess where I stand on which fans would be considered 'smart' in that case :)
Awaz your knowledge of this team and the sport of hockey is off the charts but saying that Gee is as complete of a player since Primeau is way off base. Gee is far away from being a complete player. Gee is an amazing offensive talent and a really good face off winner and that's it. With that said I would still like to draft another player with his offensive talent.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm. I just read some background on Zacha. He may be a nice pick at 7. I have no interest in Crouse. My gut tells me he may be a bust? I won't be surprised however if Hexy takes a dman here, especially if he's the bpa on the board. My final thought, I wish Montreal could at least make a series out of playing TB.

Crouse seems to be the exact opposite of a bust. As a matter of fact, he is probably the safest guy we could pick. Questionable upside, but seemingly a definite bottom 6 guy. I've opened up to him a lot. Crouse won't be my first choice, but if he reaches his upside he'll be great. Everyone in the league wants a power forward.

Last edited:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crouse seems to be the exact opposite of a bust. As a matter of fact, he is probably the safest guy we could pick. Questionable upside, but seemingly a definite bottom 6 guy. I've opened up to him a lot. Crouse won't be my first choice, but if he reaches his upside he'll be great. Everyone in the league wants a power forward.

My concern is, how many power forwards are legit big point producers? Ovechkin, Perry.. Nash at times? Maybe Getzlaf if you have him as a power forward? There just aren't that many elite point producers that fall in to that category. I want points out of the 7 spot. I don't think Crouse is the best route to big points.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My concern is, how many power forwards are legit big point producers? Ovechkin, Perry.. Nash at times? Maybe Getzlaf if you have him as a power forward? There just aren't that many elite point producers that fall in to that category. I want points out of the 7 spot. I don't think Crouse is the best route to big points.

I agree, and this is why he isn't my top choice at #7. I don't know enough about him to say what his max upside is, but even a top 6 power forward is very desirable. Again, every team in the league wants Wayne Simmonds and Andrew Ladd (Assuming he reaches their level, which I'll leave to our scouts). Just imagine him playing next to Giroux and Voracek or on the PK with Couturier.

Forgetting Crouse, it is still Barzal, Werenski, or Provorov for me at #7 with my fingers crossed that Marner falls.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If he becomes a bottom six guy, then that is a horrible pick

This is the best draft in many years and to end up with a bottom six player would be a kick in the mid-section - the Flyers need to hit a homerun with this pick, this is the highest pick they've had since the JVR draft

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is the best draft in many years and to end up with a bottom six player would be a kick in the mid-section - the Flyers need to hit a homerun with this pick, this is the highest pick they've had since the JVR draft

agreed. which is why I'm very strongly anti-Crouse.

That being said, the Flyers scouting department has earned my trust. They have a pretty strong history at the draft.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agreed. which is why I'm very strongly anti-Crouse.

That being said, the Flyers scouting department has earned my trust. They have a pretty strong history at the draft.

Agreed totally

They draft great in the first round - going back to 03:

Mike Richards and Jeff Carter(which led to Wayne Simmonds, Jake Voracek, Sean Couturier and Nick Cousins)
Steve Downie(which led to a few seasons of Matt Carle)
Claude Giroux
James van Riemsdyk(which unfortunately led to Luke Schenn)
Luca Sbisa(which led to part of a deal for Chris Pronger)
Sean Couturier
Scott Laughton
Samuel Morin
Travis Sanheim

I think thek ey more than anything is what they do after round one - but the nice part is that they have two first round picks for a change, which will be great

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From what I understand Crouse is so safe his floor is practically a bottom 6 guy. I'm not sure anyone else available at our pick is that safe. Marner, Barzal, Provorov, they can all be complete busts. That is a horrible pick. Obviously you draft for potential, but if the Flyers think Crouse has the right amount of safety and upside, then he'll be a good pick.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I understand Crouse is so safe his floor is practically a bottom 6 guy. I'm not sure anyone else available at our pick is that safe. Marner, Barzal, Provorov, they can all be complete busts. That is a horrible pick. Obviously you draft for potential, but if the Flyers think Crouse has the right amount of safety and upside, then he'll be a good pick.

If anything, with two first round picks, the Flyers should shoot for the stars with their first pick - the second first round pick(which might be real low at this point) could easily net a bottom six type player if they wanted to go that route and with how the draft tends to go, you never know how a player will project - that second first round pick could be a potential star if developed properly

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anything, with two first round picks, the Flyers should shoot for the stars with their first pick - the second first round pick(which might be real low at this point) could easily net a bottom six type player if they wanted to go that route and with how the draft tends to go, you never know how a player will project - that second first round pick could be a potential star if developed properly

Again, Crouse isn't my guy at #7. It is just that even if you want to shoot for the stars you have to factor in how safe a player is, too.

For example, if the Flyers wanted to go for a grand slam at #7 then Kylington would be the pick. All the talent in the world yet he can't put it together. Sure, there are questions marks but there is also upside. Do you risk going for the potential or do you "settle" for a safer pick with a bit less upside?

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, Crouse isn't my guy at #7. It is just that even if you want to shoot for the stars you have to factor in how safe a player is, too.

For example, if the Flyers wanted to go for a grand slam at #7 then Kylington would be the pick. All the talent in the world yet he can't put it together. Sure, there are questions marks but there is also upside. Do you risk going for the potential or do you "settle" for a safer pick with a bit less upside?

I think you go in the middle - you don't go for the safest guy nor do you go for the highest of highs - there are plenty of guys at 7 who are safe yet can be great

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you go in the middle - you don't go for the safest guy nor do you go for the highest of highs - there are plenty of guys at 7 who are safe yet can be great

I agree, but if the Flyers want to lean one way or the other they've earned my trust to do so.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not piling on 4706, just reading about draft stuff! can't get enough.

still have 6 weeks :L

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pile it on all you want. These playoffs are taking forever

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash