• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015-16 Trade Deadline Deals

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought I would start one so we can all post here to follow the deals leading up to the 2/29 deadline.

Looks like the ball has been rolling, Phaneuf traded to the Senators in 9 player deal. Kind of funny see Matt Frattin's name in there, he was so awful here I forgot he even plays (does he even play regularly?) in the NHL.

Maple Leafs deal D Phaneuf to Senators in nine-player trade

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Charks get Polak from Leafs, douchebag Torres is out of the WC and assigned to the AHL.

Sharks get Polak from Leafs for Torres, picks

Teams are making their moves, I'm sure Dumbo is out there looking to see what he can do to address this team. Scoring is an issue right now, but with Kopitar and Gaborik out that is expected. My money is still on a defender if a move is made at all, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some forward help either.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough with Gabs out for so long, I would bank on a D myself....but if he gets a F I think that will tell us the Kopitar situation.

Fucking cant stand Torres, hope he stays gone

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
There are rumors that Ladd is there but there could be a bidding war for him. I think he goes back to Chicago if anything.

My guess is we don't get a top 4 D man pairing but another 3rd line D man pairing to be solid and just chew up minutes so Drew isn't playing 30+ a game. Though to be honest, Gravel I think can be that person. He did make a mistake in the Caps game )leaving the man open who eventually scored the game winner to help Quick protect the puck) but I think with more playing time he would be just as good as some of the 3rd D man pairing out there (Russell/Hamus).

I say that more so because the Kings don't have a lot to work with other than say Pearson. There were rumors Kempe could be had but, as much as I agree with the all in sentiment, that is the one asset IMO that is untouchable.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I look at it, no prospect is untouchable at this stage of the organization's status. They are a Cup contender and while prospects look great on paper until they prove it at the NHL level, that's all they are - a prospect. Tosns of high rated prospects have come and gone through the Kings' system who never could make the leap to success at the NHL level.

Two recent examples of highly touted players who were moved are Nicolas Deslauriers and Hudson Fasching - Deslauriers is essentially a B6 forward although he was highly coveted in the LA system and Fasching is in his Junior year at Minnesota. Both guys were traded to the Sabres in the McNabb deal in 2014.

Fasching is on the ballot as a Hobey Baker Winner but since the award's inception in 1981 about 15-16 of the winners have gone on to the NHL, a handful have been serviceable and one was a superstar (Kariya). Eichel and Gaudreau won in 2014 and 2015 respectively and look to be the real deal but it's obviously too early to tell still with both of them.

I'd be more than willing to move Kempe if the right deal came around meaning not for a rental, a young player who may be a hidden gem and would fit into the group long term. For a rental, no way.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USA Today saying the Kings are looking for a T4 defender:

Los Angeles Kings
Buyer: The acquisition of Vinny Lecavalier and Luke Schenn was step No. 1. The Kings are still looking to make a giant step — as in acquiring a top-four defenseman.

Dean Lombardi: You always hear stories about Lombardi holing up in his office at all hours of the night watching video of players he wants to acquire. He has a history of finding a way to make the deals to fill holes. Think Jeff Carter. Think Marian Gaborik.

NHL trade deadline: Sizing up West; buyers or sellers?

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you mean Puck however, when you get a chance check out this article:

LA Kings 2015-16 Early Season Prospect Rankings: No. 1 Revealed

Thanks for the link, never read that one. Everything about Kempe screams NHL power forward, and I hope its right but honestly I can't get visions of Jens Karlsson out of my head (18th overall, 2002) - same European background, European born, same skill set, size, career trajectory, never played an NHL minute.

Now granted the scouting staff has vastly improved from the days of Al "I'll Somehow Blow a 1st Round Pick" Murray, and Kempe did adjust to NA hockey (Karlsson never played NA hockey) after coming over so that's optimistic but I want to see what he can do at the NHL level.

I'm not saying trade him, in fact the opposite. I preached patience when Dumbo took over and accepted the Kings were going to suck. But if a deal is to be had that nets the Kings a long term, young, NHL ready player who will be part of the core moving forward, do it. This team is not rebuilding, they have a Cup contending team and their window to get those crucial missing pieces is now.

Not sure if you recall from the ESPN board but in 2007 I said the Kings would win their first Cup in 2012- TT laughed but what do you know, 2012 comes and the first Cup arrives. I understand how franchises rebuild and what it takes to do it, I also know when the time to move players is no matter how coveted they are depending on the return based on where the organization is.

What I'd like to see is Kempe come over and get some time on the NHL team to gauge what he could be before any moves are made.

ouendan1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I'd like to see is Kempe come over and get some time on the NHL team to gauge what he could be before any moves are made.

I feel like we are going to be disappointed. Not because Kempe wouldn't, or won't be an NHL player, but I see Sutter put the rookies on the 3rd/4th line and have to sort of earn their right to play with Carter/Kopi. Not like that is a bad thing, but then the rookie doesn't contribute to the scoresheet as much and he is looked at as a player who won't contribute down the road.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like we are going to be disappointed. Not because Kempe wouldn't, or won't be an NHL player, but I see Sutter put the rookies on the 3rd/4th line and have to sort of earn their right to play with Carter/Kopi. Not like that is a bad thing, but then the rookie doesn't contribute to the scoresheet as much and he is looked at as a player who won't contribute down the road.

Sutter is tough love for sure, but look no further than Toffoli to see proof that method works. He got spot duty in the T6 when he first broke in but he was delegated to the B6 lines more often than not his first year to 18 months in the NHL. It worked because not only do I see Toffoli being creative and scoring but I see him busting his ass back into the defensive zone to check someone, pick up a man, do the dirty work along the boards to protect the Kings' zone, puck recovery and go the other way.

I'm actually all for doing it this way, the term "play the right away" comes to mind. A great example of what didn't work was O'Sullivan, who got T3 duty right from the get go, stroked himself off thinking he doesn't have to prove himself in his second full year (after scoring 22 goals) and got butt hurt about it. That shattered his confidence and as we saw, he was never the same player again whether than was LA or Edmonton or Phoenix.

He got the gift too soon under Terry W. Murray Hates Black People and didn't become the player he was envisioned to be. I feel bad for him because he had a f**ked up childhood and those things are tough to deal with as is, but mentally strong players are developed and he was not mentally strong. He folded like a cheap tent the moment he faced real adversity to challenge himself to become a better player, Dumbo saw that and made the move to get Williams and the rest is history.

Sutter loves his veterans over young kids but will give them shielded minutes, and the Kings are in a position to do that being a battle tested veteran team overall (yet still young) overall. I would love to see Kempe come in the fall, make a statement in camp and follow the Toffoli method to become a bonafide T6 power forward 2-3 years from now.

If he tanks the first year or two in the B6, so be it - that's what those lines are for, to learn what kind of player you have and to instill good habits as a pro.

ouendan1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So a $5 lemon for a $10 lemon with wrinkles

feel like welcoming Teddy Purcell back too?

Not 100% sold on this person's reliability as a source, but the Purcell to LA talk grew significantly today.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Purcell has been linked as a person to hold the fort till Gaborik comes back and then bump Purcell down and move possibly Andreoff to the press box.