• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015-16 NBA Western Conference OFFICIAL THREAD

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why did Kobe only play 15 mpg in his first year? And 26 mpg in his second?
Ummm because he was 17 & 18 years old-no college experience and the 13th pick in the first round-and the coach was Del Harris.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes we can blame him and we SHOULD! This being Kobe's farewell tour is all the more reason to use this as an opportunity to teach the young guys "on the job". Kobe is out there so why not take advantage of his knowledge of the game?
Every time I watch them play and the camera pans on Scott he's always sitting on the bench with his chin in his hand, elbow on his knee. I mean good gawd. How does he expect them to get better without direction? Stand up, call a play, talk to the guys, do something please, other than just sit on the bench with that freaking blank look on his face.

Oh, so because what you see on camera during games you instantly know how he develops the young players now?

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm because he was 17 & 18 years old-no college experience and the 13th pick in the first round-and the coach was Del Harris.

And they did such a terrible job developing him, right?

Maybe if they gave him 35 minutes a game in his rookie season, he would have what, 10 MVPs? Another 5 NBA titles?

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because the Lakers were winning without him and Phil is notorious for not trusting rookies. This was also 20 years ago.

ving Huertas minutes over Young for a while, Nick Young may be dumb but he's a helluva lot better than Huertas.
No- Phil didn't take over as HC until 99-00 season-at which point Kobe started 62 of the 66 games he played in that season.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And then get criticized for keeping the rookies on the floor when games are on the line.

So basically you're saying no matter what he does, he will always get criticized?
Basically, but at least the rookies are learning & getting experience.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And they did such a terrible job developing him, right?

Maybe if they gave him 35 minutes a game in his rookie season, he would have what, 10 MVPs? Another 5 NBA titles?

No, they had other good/great players there already(Byron Scott being one of them) so they didn't NEED him to play as much back then. The situation today isn't the same. Kobe IS the star...the only star so guess what that means for all the other guys???? They will need to learn "on the job" at an accelerated pace. Simple.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they are, so can we agree that if they played more they'd get more experience?

Right now both Russell and Randle are averaging 28 minutes. By the end of the season that number will be over 30. Pretty much on par for a rookie who isn't coming into the league as a star ie. Jordan, Shaq, Lebron.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, so because what you see on camera during games you instantly know how he develops the young players now?

And so you can tell us he's definitely doing it but only off camera? Give me a break. Why wouldn't he be using every opportunitiy in the games while they're live to help them?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thing with Byron. I have no problem with him holding the young guys accountable and I have no problem with him using playing time/starting to do it. Playing time is the one stick that a coach has to beat his players over the head with to get them to fall in line.

I also have no problem with him gradually increasing the young guys minutes as they learn and improve. I don't think a player should just be handed a starting role because he was drafted high. Let them earn what they get.

What I do have an issue with is the offensive and defensive systems. The offense is a bit archaic, imo. The one thing this Lakers team has is athleticism, yet they are walking the ball up the floor. As for defense, according to Byron, that is what this team was going to "hang their hats on." Right now, if they aren't the worst defensive team in the league (I haven't looked) they have to be among them.

According to Byron, there are going to be changes after the all-star break. Supposedly we will see Russell starting. Hopefully, Byron's plan was to use the first half of the season to let the young guys adjust to the NBA and turn them loose for the 2nd half of the season. If that's the case, maybe we'll start to see some real improvement, instead of the fits and starts type of improvement we're seeing now.

If not, then I think they need to cut him loose as soon as the season is over and make a big push for someone like Luke Walton or Thibs (out of the 2, I prefer Luke) and they need to do it before FA starts so they can go into the meetings with FA's knowing who the coach will be.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's not all that different from being 19 with one year of college experience.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers' Scott: Russell's limited PT precautionary

"You don't let a guy go out there and just almost embarrass himself or kill himself by playing 35 minutes and creating 10, 12, 15 turnovers. I mean, the one thing it can do is self-destruct him as an individual."

Yeah, it's kind of a fine line, with rookies, especially one this young. You definitely need to let them go so they can make their mistakes and learn from them. At the same time, you don't want to allow them to make so many mistakes that it messes with their confidence.

As I posted earlier, Byron has said that changes are coming after the all-star break and Russell starting is rumored to be one of them. We'll see what happens.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers' Scott: Russell's limited PT precautionary

"You don't let a guy go out there and just almost embarrass himself or kill himself by playing 35 minutes and creating 10, 12, 15 turnovers. I mean, the one thing it can do is self-destruct him as an individual."

More of that quote here:

"So what I try to do as far as teaching him and also protect him from making mistakes like that, and from getting ridiculed after a game like that," Scott said.

First, D'Angelo is not turning the ball over that much. I realize Byron was responding to Mac's comment, but his per-36 turnover rate is 3.3. He was playing good basketball in January until Byron yanked him late in a recent game because the kid tried to take over and forced a couple of shots. He wasn't embarrassing himself.

Second, there is nothing wrong with him making mistakes right now. It's his rookie season and he's playing the PG position which he never has really played. Let him learn from his mistakes and grow.

Third, the only one ridiculing D'Angelo after games is Byron Scott. It's been a season long trend of negativity. His handling of D'Angelo through the press has been awful. I just don't get it.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is wrong with the article? He is not the first writer and won't be the last to make a comment about Durant to the Warriors

I guess my point was just the difference between speculation/opinion and sourced news.

When I first see a headline with "Woj" and "Warriors threat to sign Durant" I immediately start thinking he has some news breaking scoop on something. Some big source or inside knowledge. He's so good at breaking news that its hard not to take it very seriously.

Then I read the article and see that it is nothing more than speculation. Reading into a few quotes here, pointing out a few maybe-coincidences there. Which is exactly what A LOT of sports writing is. So not really a criticism of Woj, just an observation.