• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015-16 NBA Western Conference OFFICIAL THREAD

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the Grizzlies is so borrrrrriiing

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did the NBAPA sent out a memo this summer where everyone agreed to grow their hair out? Like half the players are rocking some sort of Kobe fro

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching OKC right now. If I were ever a teammate of Durant or Westbrook id be pissed. Other than Ibaka making a jumper a few times it's literally a two man show for 48 minutes.

They have a new coach, but it looks as though the thunder will face the same problem they always have.

Durant and Westbrook are more concerned with "getting theirs" than keeping their teammates involved and playing team ball. Every possession is one on one. Granted, they are damn good at it. But its hard to sustain that in the playoffs vs elite teams.

And yes, I know they both pass and Russ leads the league in assists. But it all comes off of iso ball. Nothing comes easy, and very few plays are run to get good looks.

ChrisGar15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After next season. I don't think it was necessarily contingent on making a deep playoff run but growing and being significantly more competitive. Certainly at least making the playoffs is a necessary result.

I saw multiple quotes that say "deep playoff run". (must mean winning at least 1 series ... I'd say two) Below is an article from last month where it appears that Jim Buss is trying to squeeze out an extra year -- but Jeanie disagrees with him about that extra year.

Lakers president of basketball operations Jim Buss said last April that he will resign in Los Angeles isn't able to make a deep playoff run in three years. That timeline is still in place, team president Jeanie Buss said in a radio interview with 89.3 KPCC on Thursday.

-----------------------------------------------------------

But Buss' math then became a bit fuzzy in the USA Today Sports article when asked to elaborate on his deadline.

"Two more full seasons, a summer of change and then let that season go. Whatever happens in that third season, that's fine. I have no problem with that. I think we're that close."

That would push his deadline, however, to after the 2017-18 season.

A deadline his sister refutes. Jeanie Buss was described as "perplexed" by her brother's timeline, according to USA Today Sports.

"He has given me a timeline, and I have no reason to think that they won't have a competitive team by the deadline," Jeanie said.

Asked what that timeline was, she responded, "Not this season, but the end of next season, which will be the summer of 2017."

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw multiple quotes that say "deep playoff run". (must mean winning at least 1 series ... I'd say two) Below is an article from last month where it appears that Jim Buss is trying to squeeze out an extra year -- but Jeanie disagrees with him about that extra year.

Lakers president of basketball operations Jim Buss said last April that he will resign in Los Angeles isn't able to make a deep playoff run in three years. That timeline is still in place, team president Jeanie Buss said in a radio interview with 89.3 KPCC on Thursday.

-----------------------------------------------------------

But Buss' math then became a bit fuzzy in the USA Today Sports article when asked to elaborate on his deadline.

"Two more full seasons, a summer of change and then let that season go. Whatever happens in that third season, that's fine. I have no problem with that. I think we're that close."

That would push his deadline, however, to after the 2017-18 season.

A deadline his sister refutes. Jeanie Buss was described as "perplexed" by her brother's timeline, according to USA Today Sports.

"He has given me a timeline, and I have no reason to think that they won't have a competitive team by the deadline," Jeanie said.

Asked what that timeline was, she responded, "Not this season, but the end of next season, which will be the summer of 2017."

this is just so strange to be discussing with the media I think.

Brother and sister co-owners publicly setting a deadline where the brother will get fired if he doesnt produce? It seems very amateur-ish.

Like I said yesterday- Jimmy Buss inherited a pretty bad situation- theoritically Howard and Nash could still be on the Lakers and competing in a big way- but of course those ended up being terrible deals- where the Lakers mortgaged a lot of their future on. Now I dont know whos fault it was that Howard AND Gasol both walk for nothing- thats pretty inexcusable- but after Howard walked it was clear this was a REALLY REALLY ROUGH situation to get out of.

Think of that....so Howard leaves 2 years ago and Nash's back goes out.

What does the roster look like at that point- at the end of the 12/13 season when Howard was about to leave-? I mean I am looking at the roster and its BLEAK.

Gasol, Kobe, Steve Blake, Nash, Metta, JAmison, Meeks, Hill, Sacre......i mean- there is not one good young player on that whole entire team. AND they owed draft picks out all over the place.

thats a pretty daunting task to tackle. Realistically thats like a 4-5 year rebuild...but in LA they arent used to that- and maybe dont fully appreciate the modern NBA and how its just not as easy as signing a bunch of free agents that are banging down your door to come to LA.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually -- google it -- Jeanie said he had to make a "deep playoff run" in the 2016-17 season. Jim said later he thought it was the "2017 season" (i.e., 2017-2018) .... last I heard it hadn't been resolved which season was really the one in question. (and also ... what does a "deep playoff run" really mean)

I think it is really funny that this gets played our in the media and in public -- without Jim & Jeanie talking and having a common position. (plus -- it is really funny that it would actually come to this)

If someone has a link that clarifies all this -- I'd be happy to read & understand.

I'm well aware of those quotes. I've also read where Jimmy said something to the effect that if the Lakers had a competitive playoff series that goes 7 games but they lose then that's progress. I don't think it's fully contingent on a deep playoff run. These two have said lots recently. I'm pretty sure Jimmy has this season and next, but it's a grey area regarding what success is necessary to keep his job.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i ain't gonna lie. i'm starting to wonder about Byron a bit. and i was one of the cats that WANTED him to coach the Lakers...

Same here. I don't really hold last year against him because he didn't have anything close to an NBA roster. I'm still willing to give him some time because they have a lot of new faces and young guys. But we need to start seeing some of what he says he's been preaching and working on in practice play out on the court, especially on defense.

One thing I read this morning that's encouraging is that because of Russell's struggles, Kobe told him to show up an hour before Sundays team shootaround and spent that hour helping him break down tape and giving him insight on how to run the team.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here. I don't really hold last year against him because he didn't have anything close to an NBA roster. I'm still willing to give him some time because they have a lot of new faces and young guys. But we need to start seeing some of what he says he's been preaching and working on in practice play out on the court, especially on defense.

One thing I read this morning that's encouraging is that because of Russell's struggles, Kobe told him to show up an hour before Sundays team shootaround and spent that hour helping him break down tape and giving him insight on how to run the team.

Al Golden is available.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seeing Harden flail around like a fish trying to get fouls called is very annoying, and the fact that he gets the call most of the time is even worse.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rockets vs Clippers should be good tonight

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did the NBAPA sent out a memo this summer where everyone agreed to grow their hair out? Like half the players are rocking some sort of Kobe fro

George Hill needs an Ass whoopin.

He looks like Nene Leaks from that Real Housewives show.

nene-leakes-56_240x340_59.jpg

635812228060506324-26-pacerspix-092815.jpg

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
minny is 3-0 on the road and 0-2 at home

go figure

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not today Fred!!!

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing the Warriors is tough enough, when you don't have your all star center and probably your best player so far this season(Collison), you might as well wave the white flag.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing the Warriors is tough enough, when you don't have your all star center and probably your best player so far this season(Collison), you might as well wave the white flag.

ONLY DOWN 8

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ONLY DOWN 8
Warriors are 3-22 from 3 and missing open shots, which tells me they either feel bad for the Kings and wanted to take it easy on them, they have finally cooled off from the white hot start they've had to the season, or they will make 3's in the 2nd half and it will get ugly in a hurry. Go option #2!

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Warriors 5-30 from 3, how is that possible?