• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Overspend in Free Agency Thread

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pens have some bad contracts, too, but it's no wonder they've had a hard time putting together any kind of depth of talent paying Joffrey Lupul over $5 million per year, for example.

I mean, he's a decent player, but that kind of production in the current market should probably be going for between $3 and 4 million. I guess Bozak's isn't as completely terrible as I initially thought, though, and JVR is kind of a bargain. Kessel's overpaid, but I can understand it to an extent.

You've got some penalties, too, I see. Do you think a full rebuild is coming soon, or would that never fly in Toronto?

Lupul is overpaid, but for a time he was just about a point-per-game player.

Also, Lupul broke his arm reading this post.

Harry Crack

Best 8 sec's of her life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hey now !!!! He saves his injuries for "DURING" the season don't ya know

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kadri and JVR, just from what I've seen of them, are actually pretty solid contracts. And isn't Rielly on an ELC?

Kadri took the Subban bridge route on his first RFA deal. He had better put up some good numbers this year but given the Leafs' second line currently looks like it'll be Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson, he probably won't and probably won't get much of a raise.

Harry Crack

Best 8 sec's of her life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kadri took the Subban bridge route on his first RFA deal. He had better put up some good numbers this year but given the Leafs' second line currently looks like it'll be Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson, he probably won't and probably won't get much of a raise.

Clarkson cannot possibly be as bad as he was last year............so we've got that going for us ....sigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That line won't stay together, mostly for reasons concerning Lupul we've already discussed.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not coincidentally all while riding shotgun for Kessel.

And that's exactly when a smart team would have dealt him, when there was still some perception that he was a PPG player. Instead we had the fanbase screaming for him to be made the captain.

Same thing now with Bozak pretty much. Getting carried by Kessel, past "peak" age and his value will never be higher than it is right now. A smart team would deal him. This team instead sees him as untouchable.

Harry Crack

Best 8 sec's of her life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And that's exactly when a smart team would have dealt him, when there was still some perception that he was a PPG player. Instead we had the fanbase screaming for him to be made the captain.

Same thing now with Bozak pretty much. Getting carried by Kessel, past "peak" age and his value will never be higher than it is right now. A smart team would deal him. This team instead sees him as untouchable.

So , does Reimer get moved ? I smell a nasty distraction if he doesn't

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isles still need to hit the floor...

And hey, Burke's already done it once before!

Burke: "What type of idiot would pay Dion Phaneuf that contract?"
Treliving to himself: "I can't believe I work for this guy!"

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That line won't stay together, mostly for reasons concerning Lupul we've already discussed.

Why ya think they got Frattin back? Nonis has already been on all the radio shows today touting how he's a guy who can "move up and down the lineup".

:doh:

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

0.64 PPG last year (0.75 for the last two). I think that's just fine for a 2C and worth more than $2.9 million. I mean, they gave Komarov more than that for Christ's sake.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lupul can produce almost as well with Kadri, if Randy keeps the two together and allows them to develop an understanding.

I agree with moving Bozak, but I'm still yet to hear one realistic idea anywhere of how the Leafs could possibly get a true 1st line centre (Kadri isn't one) trading any of the pieces they currently own save Rielly.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
0.64 PPG last year (0.75 for the last two). I think that's just fine for a 2C and worth more than $2.9 million. I mean, they gave Komarov more than that for Christ's sake.

Kadri signed that deal when the cap regressed to $63 mil. Obviously he's worth more than that if he plays with offensively talented individuals and produces accordingly. He got what he deserved last time under the circumstances of the reduced cap.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burke: "What type of idiot would pay Dion Phaneuf that contract?"
Treliving to himself: "I can't believe I work for this guy!"

I can't believe somebody employs him. Maybe the team cuts off his cell service between the hours of 11pm-7am so he can't drunk dial GMs and propose asinine trades while he's wasted.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a 0.82/points per game player since he came to Toronto, and that number was higher when he was on the top two lines.

He was 4th among Toronto forwards in ice time last year, and he played only 89 of 1022 even-strength minutes with McClement. He had more even-strength time with Kessel (108 minutes) than he did with McClement.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lupul can produce almost as well with Kadri, if Randy keeps the two together and allows them to develop an understanding.

I agree with moving Bozak, but I'm still yet to hear one realistic idea anywhere of how the Leafs could possibly get a true 1st line centre (Kadri isn't one) trading any of the pieces they currently own save Rielly.

Um, have you seen this team? They're pretty much one Bernier or Kessel injury away from drafting a first line centre.

"Kadri isn't one"... probably not, but he's a better fit there right now than Bozak is.