• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Overspend in Free Agency Thread

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding the Downie signing, I don't understand it, and he's an idiot, but he's also shown he can be a capable hockey player, so if the Pens' coaching staff keeps him in line, he could end up being a good player for us.

The downside, of course, is that he pulls one of his stupid stunts.

Hopefully he doesn't. But I do think our fourth line is going to contribute some offense this season, at least.

Now trade Scuderi, sign Kulemin, and call it an offseason. :hockeysmile:

I don't like the Downie addition, either. As Dash pointed out, he's a garage league talent. However, guys like Thornton and Engelland just cashed in for a couple of million each yesterday... so I guess it's the old adage of, 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.'

With that said, in his career year season, Tocchet was his coach. Maybe he can hold the leash real tight and get Downie to contribute in ways other than putting the opponent on the power-play.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh my God, the Leafs' contracts...

I just looked them up on CapGeek.

They overspent for pretty much every single player on their roster.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only good thing about Engelland is that he can play both forward and defense (neither of them very well however). Still hate the signing, but what can you do? He'll likely be on the last year of that contract when the Flames are hopefully contending for a playoff spot.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like the Downie addition, either. As Dash pointed out, he's a garage league talent. However, guys like Thornton and Engelland just cashed in for a couple of million each yesterday... so I guess it's the old adage of, 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.'

With that said, in his career year season, Tocchet was his coach. Maybe he can hold the leash real tight and get Downie to contribute in ways other than putting the opponent on the power-play.

I think he and Comeau are redundant, and I wouldn't have advocated signing him, but I don't think it's a terrible move, either. It's only a year. Most one-year contracts, to me, are excusable.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he and Comeau are redundant, and I wouldn't have advocated signing him, but I don't think it's a terrible move, either. It's only a year. Most one-year contracts, to me, are excusable.

They probably are a bit redundant. Although, I think Comeau is a little less of a knuckledragger than Downie.

I've just always hated the guy. Have no use for guys like him, Cooke, Rinaldo, Thornton etc. that go out there to intentionally hurt the opponent.

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kind of blows away the "____ is willing to come to Toronto, FOR LESS" rumours.

:)

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They probably are a bit redundant. Although, I think Comeau is a little less of a knuckledragger than Downie.

I've just always hated the guy. Have no use for guys like him, Cooke, Rinaldo, Thornton etc. that go out there to intentionally hurt the opponent.

Yeah I agree especially with the likes of Sill that can do the same job.

But to Darkstone's point it is just a 1 year one million dollar contract so it isn't bad.
Just think they could have resigned Glass for 1.45/3yrs or Engelland for 2.9/3yrs.... (yeah sorry Dash)..

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steve Downie's not a good signing, not because he's a garage league talent, he's always had talent, but he's in bad shape physically at this point in his career - he's had so many hearing problems, multiple concussions, when was the last time he played at 100% percent? He had some success in Tampa and Colorado but most of his second stint with the Flyers he's been hurt most of the time - you're not going to get the best out of him because he's just shot physically, he'll never be 100% again

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Of the players currently signed there's basically Kadri, JVR, Rielly and Frattin. You could include Bernier too, except that at the time he signed his contract he was taking them to arbitration with a resume that contained only 62 games played and didn't include a season over 25 games. So while it may not be overspending now, it was at the time.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of the players currently signed there's basically Kadri, JVR, Rielly and Frattin. You could include Bernier too, except that at the time he signed his contract he was taking them to arbitration with a resume that contained only 62 games played and didn't include a season over 25 games. So while it may not be overspending now, it was at the time.

The Pens have some bad contracts, too, but it's no wonder they've had a hard time putting together any kind of depth of talent paying Joffrey Lupul over $5 million per year, for example.

I mean, he's a decent player, but that kind of production in the current market should probably be going for between $3 and 4 million. I guess Bozak's isn't as completely terrible as I initially thought, though, and JVR is kind of a bargain. Kessel's overpaid, but I can understand it to an extent.

You've got some penalties, too, I see. Do you think a full rebuild is coming soon, or would that never fly in Toronto?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are you saying only those four aren't being overpaid?