• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gallo with a long one too.

3/8 Bryant vs. Gallo
On Sunday, Kris Bryant will get to watch Joey Gallo on the Rangers. Last season, Bryant led the Minor Leagues with 43 home runs for Double-A Tennessee and Triple-A Iowa; Gallo finished with 42 for Class A Myrtle Beach and Double-A Frisco.

“I love to watch him play,” Bryant said of Gallo, who also is a Las Vegas native but trained at a different facility than the Cubs top prospect. “He’ll probably hit another home run. He’s pretty good.”

Although the two know each other, they never exchanged texts about their home run pursuits.

“We never really talked about it, but I knew he was right behind me or he was right ahead of me,” Bryant said. “It’s fun to compete with someone you know and care about and care about their success. It was cool to see him have his success.”

Gallo did belt a two-run homer in the sixth of the All-Star Futures Game to give the U.S. team a 3-2 victory last July. At that point in the season, the two were tied for the Minor League home run lead at 31. What if Bryant and Gallo did have a home run hitting contest?

“He’d probably win,” Bryant said.

In batting practice during the Futures Game, Gallo broke the windshield of a truck parked on the concourse beyond the right field fence at Target Field.

“You get in those type of environments, people try to put on a show,” Bryant said. “I can’t hang with him. He’s a freak of nature

Bryant has a respect for Joey's game

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The news about Darvish sucks..... The only positive things one can take from it : no Cy young this year will give the team longer to try and extend him, maybe the team will score more runs for whoever the ace of the staff is going to be. Last year, it seemed like the lineup would frequently take the night off with Darvish pitching. I'd get so frustrated looking at the score after the 7th inning and it would usually be a 0-0 tie or the other team was ahead 1-0. Most people seemed to think the Rangers would be competitive again by 2016, I just hope for no more injuries.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers: They actually have insurance on Yu Darvish's salary, reports Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News, which means they could get back some of his salary if he has to underog Tommy John surgery.

I know someone posted something along these lines earlier but this is pretty significant considering the tight budget the team seems to have. Could mean they might take on more salary for this year, if Yu does choose the surgery

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers: They actually have insurance on Yu Darvish's salary, reports Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News, which means they could get back some of his salary if he has to underog Tommy John surgery.

I know someone posted something along these lines earlier but this is pretty significant considering the tight budget the team seems to have. Could mean they might take on more salary for this year, if Yu does choose the surgery

Yu needs to have the surgery ASAP. I'm going to be very disappointed if they take the "rest the arm" approach. Many thought next year was the year we might turn this thing back around anyways. I don't want him to miss any more time next year than he has to.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yu needs to have the surgery ASAP. I'm going to be very disappointed if they take the "rest the arm" approach. Many thought next year was the year we might turn this thing back around anyways. I don't want him to miss any more time next year than he has to.
I agree. Do it now.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The news about Darvish sucks..... The only positive things one can take from it : no Cy young this year will give the team longer to try and extend him, maybe the team will score more runs for whoever the ace of the staff is going to be. Last year, it seemed like the lineup would frequently take the night off with Darvish pitching. I'd get so frustrated looking at the score after the 7th inning and it would usually be a 0-0 tie or the other team was ahead 1-0. Most people seemed to think the Rangers would be competitive again by 2016, I just hope for no more injuries.

Not only that. He won't have his 2015 performance to drive his price tag up.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The short answer is most likely yes, but I still think they'd be pretty picky about who they spend that money on. With that said, if they're in the hunt at the ASB what it really does is give them way more options at the trade deadline.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If they do it now, he should be ML ready by May at the latest.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wonder if any of our local reporters have thought to research to find out if the rest approach ever works in a case like this? I certainly hope he has the surgery soon.

Seems like I do recall Holland resting his shoulder when he had a rotator cuff problem a few years back and the rest actually worked. I remember being shocked that it did.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The short answer is most likely yes, but I still think they'd be pretty picky about who they spend that money on. With that said, if they're in the hunt at the ASB what it really does is give them way more options at the trade deadline.

Yeah JD and the Rangers don't spend for the sake of spending. I wouldn't think they'd be reckless but if it means the chance to compete down the stretch it may be beneficial to have those dollars

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I posted it and the Rangers could get back over 5 mill. The rest of the article was nonsense as Grant threw Hamels name back out there. Why even mention that when the saving is just for this year. What pays for Hamels the other couple of years. I would love to have the guy but do not want to give up valuable future prospects for him.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if any of our local reporters have thought to research to find out if the rest approach ever works in a case like this? I certainly hope he has the surgery soon.

Seems like I do recall Holland resting his shoulder when he had a rotator cuff problem a few years back and the rest actually worked. I remember being shocked that it did.

Those are two totally different things. It depends on the severity of the tear, but with the way Yu spins the ball, I wouldn't screw around. Just do it.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted it and the Rangers could get back over 5 mill. The rest of the article was nonsense as Grant threw Hamels name back out there. Why even mention that when the saving is just for this year. What pays for Hamels the other couple of years. I would love to have the guy but do not want to give up valuable future prospects for him.

I think that points out Evan's limitations as a baseball writer. He is a lot better than Watkins, but sometimes his ideas just don't make much sense.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seems like I do recall Holland resting his shoulder when he had a rotator cuff problem a few years back and the rest actually worked. I remember being shocked that it did.
[/QUOTE]

They were talking about it on the radio. The success stories are few and far between. Tanaka is trying to do it now I think.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They've got to write something to get clicks. The average fan doesn't put that much thought into forming their opinions. All they think is, "Hanels would be a perfect replacement for Darvish, and I've never heard of this Alfaro guy anyways. Just trade him to get Hamels." :L

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were talking about it on the radio. The success stories are few and far between. Tanaka is trying to do it now I think.

You could see that coming a mile away with that fork ball he throws.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that points out Evan's limitations as a baseball writer. He is a lot better than Watkins, but sometimes his ideas just don't make much sense.

Evan Grant is better than Watkins, but that's not setting the bar very high. He's still someone any fan should take with a grain of salt.