• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say him and Choo are pretty close but would give the slight advantage to Choo as far as defense. Cruz's arm is way better though.

You are right about other teams being interested in him as DH and the draft pick thing hurting him but I think for the right price, other teams would even be interested in him in the OF. I think main issue is really the PED thing and teams seeing that as a risk. Like you said he is going to have to warm up to the idea of proving himself this season and then maybe he can get a little closer to the contract he is looking for next season.

Choo has a pretty strong arm as well, its one of his better qualities as well, so lets not say way better for Cruz, its better but not way better

The biggest issue for Cruz has nothing to do with Cruz per say, its the draft pick compensation attached to him

1) People don't want to pay him a butt load of money,
2) they don't want to do it for a lot of years,
3) they don't want to play him in the OF,
4) they are wary of his PED past,

but they will do those thing, but they don't also want to give up a draft pick to deal with a flawed player

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hamilton was a good CF at one point but he his defense has defiantly wore down over time. I think always is a stretch, sometimes he really did make great plays to his credit. Same goes for Cruz, he has made his share of great plays too but there have also been times where he made bad reads and made it look like a better play than it really was. I think think that happens to everyone though, just some a little more than others.

always was obviously just an exaggeration, like I seriously meant every single diving play Hamilton ever made was unnecessary

I'm willing to bet there are few times where Gentry has dove when it was not required

Last edited by a moderator:

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of us really mention Bostick so I thought I would copy this part of an inteview with Durrett and Keith Law

RD: It appears that the Rangers got even better value in the Craig Gentry trade than I thought. I’ll admit that I didn’t expect to see Chris Bostick in your top-10 at No. 6. He wasn’t a guy you had in the A’s top-10 lists the past few years.

Law: I’ve loved him when he was in the A’s system and I had him as a sleeper prospect a few years ago. He’s got a great swing, good approach at the plate, can really run and is an above-average defender at second base. In the Rangers’ system, they have (Jurickson) Profar and (Rougned) Odor ahead of him, but it’s an asset with value. Maybe he becomes a tradable guy for them because he’s blocked and could be a good player for someone else. He’s got the swing discipline, the swing and attitude to end up an above-average second baseman.

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of us really mention Bostick so I thought I would copy this part of an inteview with Durrett and Keith Law

RD: It appears that the Rangers got even better value in the Craig Gentry trade than I thought. I’ll admit that I didn’t expect to see Chris Bostick in your top-10 at No. 6. He wasn’t a guy you had in the A’s top-10 lists the past few years.

Law: I’ve loved him when he was in the A’s system and I had him as a sleeper prospect a few years ago. He’s got a great swing, good approach at the plate, can really run and is an above-average defender at second base. In the Rangers’ system, they have (Jurickson) Profar and (Rougned) Odor ahead of him, but it’s an asset with value. Maybe he becomes a tradable guy for them because he’s blocked and could be a good player for someone else. He’s got the swing discipline, the swing and attitude to end up an above-average second baseman.

KLaw likes his attitude tool

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Chen is only costing KC $4.25 mill this year as he was resigned by them. I think that would have been a good gamble for us to go after unless he just did not want to come here.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just heard Michael Young to retire

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or see Mike Trout (aka the Pedroia of the OF)

Difference is, Trout actually has great range, dives or not

Hamilton always had mediocre range, his dives were often the result of him making up for a lack of range, that guys like Trout or Gentry wouldn't even have to dive for,

Trout might dive unnecessarily but its on balls that Hamilton probably wouldn't even get close to,

Hamilton was a lot better in LF, but by no means awesome

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just heard Michael Young to retire

Thats no good, I was hoping he would reach 3000 hits… sure seems like he would still have value somewhere as a DH or even bench help.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hamilton always had mediocre range, his dives were often the result of him making up for a lack of range, that guys like Trout or Gentry wouldn't even have to dive for,

Trout might dive unnecessarily but its on balls that Hamilton probably wouldn't even get close to,

lol, my joke was more about Trout and his unnecessary jump-catches.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

it still pretty much comes down to seeing the ball off the bat and jump. Nobody outruns the baseball but a great jump with how quick the fielder gets to top end speed determines how great the outfielder. Trout has it while Hamilton's mind wonders more often than not, he is slow off the batted ball more than not. I know Cruz has some make up speed for balls to his right, but to me, he's very slow off the batted ball and an average outfielder at best.

Something said earlier about diving for balls. drives me nuts cause many don't require the dive if they were better at reading the ball off the bat. That hasn't changed much in all the years of playing this game....the ability to read the batted ball off the bat and react. The old guy in me is sure it's players looking for web gems on espn baseball tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope he becomes a part of the Rangers organization again after he takes a break. That was one hell of a trade. All we had to do is trade Esteban Loaiza. Thanks Toronto.
What a deal. I too hope to see him back.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope he becomes a part of the Rangers organization again after he takes a break. That was one hell of a trade. All we had to do is trade Esteban Loaiza. Thanks Toronto.

Agree that we need to find a place for him in our organization.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats no good, I was hoping he would reach 3000 hits… sure seems like he would still have value somewhere as a DH or even bench help.

He was never going to get 3000 hits as a part time player which is all he is at this point I think he's 600+ hits away

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it still pretty much comes down to seeing the ball off the bat and jump. Nobody outruns the baseball but a great jump with how quick the fielder gets to top end speed determines how great the outfielder. Trout has it while Hamilton's mind wonders more often than not, he is slow off the batted ball more than not. I know Cruz has some make up speed for balls to his right, but to me, he's very slow off the batted ball and an average outfielder at best.

Something said earlier about diving for balls. drives me nuts cause many don't require the dive if they were better at reading the ball off the bat. That hasn't changed much in all the years of playing this game....the ability to read the batted ball off the bat and react. The old guy in me is sure it's players looking for web gems on espn baseball tonight.

I agree with you players diving for balls that are not needed to just make it look like it was a difficult play. It does drive me nuts as well. But I was thinking of a couple of plays and one in particular that Cruz had to lay out to catch it and I think most of us did not think he would be able to make the play.

And jta and you both are correct in getting that first step. It is nice in Trout, Ham, Gentry and Martin's case they have the speed to make up for that. Martin is still working on that some but that first misstep happens to quite a few players.