• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"2014 Mock Draft - Steelers War Room"

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have McCullers at the top of my list as of now...

Anyone: Feel free to sway my opinion!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like McCullers but were you saying he's an end? Seems a little big to play end. He's a tall guy though which is ideal with the quick passing game and knocking down passes at the line. Especially as a 3-4 lineman where your main job is run support and not pash rushing.

He played a run stopping 4-3 DT @ TN...much like Hageman I think he'll project as a 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT in the NFL...maybe not the quickness that Heyward has, but stronger vs the run I think.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He played a run stopping 4-3 DT @ TN...much like Hageman I think he'll project as a 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT in the NFL...maybe not the quickness that Heyward has, but stronger vs the run I think.

Interesting, he's listed as 6'7" 350, so that is a mammoth DE, but whatever position he plays, he seems like a multiple down player. Is it possible he plays NT on running downs and DE on passing downs, or is that too much technique for him to learn?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL...I can see why you wold say that...he is a mountain of a man...I don't think he'll play at 350 for long...they'll have him down around 300 or so playing weight is my thinking and @ 6'7" that's a similar type build for several DEs in PIT. Brett & Cameron are 6'5" 290ish.

Heck I would come back with Ray Carruethers after him. He LOOKS like a NT @ 6'1" 350 or so.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I hear you, just a lot of weight to lose, assuming those measurableables are accurate.

How about Justin Ellis at NT, listed at 6'2" 342 on CBS in RND 5?

Found Josh Mauro interesting, he's actually compared to Brett Keisel. Would take him in the 6-7 for depth, although he's projected higher.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depth... Just depends on what PIT does during FA. If we got McCullers then I would want our depth to look like this:

DTs: Woods, McCullers, Fangupo, (Arnfelt)
DEs: Heyward, McLendon, Hood, Williams

Assuming Woods & Hood are resigned, and McLendon is finally moved to the outside... This would be a pretty solid defensive line. Woods is a solid player who could split time with McCullers. I put Arnfelt in parenthesis because the team usually only keeps 3 NT's (only 2 dress). He is listed as a DE, but he played the majority of his snaps inside. Arnfelt had a solid preseason LY, and will probably be kept around. He may even beat out Fangupo. So as you can see, after drafting McCullers there isn't much need for "depth" in the draft. But like I said, depends on FA.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not trying to get too far ahead of myself but I've already started looking into 5th round prospects... Here are a few thoughts:

Lamin Barrow, ILB, LSU: Definitely worth a look here. He is the same size as LT (6'1" ~230lbs), and only a tenth of a second slower. Only weaknesses I have read about the kid is he isn't a great form tackler, which I think is easily coachable by Butler & Porter. Probably wont be around until our pick, but if he's there then we should definitely consider him.

Kenny Ladler, FS, Vanderbuilt: I know Safety is a big priority in the draft, regardless of what Tomlin/Lebeau decide to do with Ike T. I like Ladler here. He has good size (6'0"), instincts, speed (4.5s), etc. Best bet for a S prospect in round 5.

Vinnie Sunseri, SS, Alabama: Not a true FS, but could be an easy conversion. Same size & speed as Ladler. Consider him insurance if Ladler is gone.

WR's?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depth... Just depends on what PIT does during FA. If we got McCullers then I would want our depth to look like this:

DTs: Woods, McCullers, Fangupo, (Arnfelt)
DEs: Heyward, McLendon, Hood, Williams

Assuming Woods & Hood are resigned, and McLendon is finally moved to the outside... This would be a pretty solid defensive line. Woods is a solid player who could split time with McCullers. I put Arnfelt in parenthesis because the team usually only keeps 3 NT's (only 2 dress). He is listed as a DE, but he played the majority of his snaps inside. Arnfelt had a solid preseason LY, and will probably be kept around. He may even beat out Fangupo. So as you can see, after drafting McCullers there isn't much need for "depth" in the draft. But like I said, depends on FA.

Off the top I think we need a replacement for Hood & a NT. The depth chart @ NT scares me. Fang is now an inexperienced 28 y/o player. Everyone else we have imo is playing out of position...(that's kind of why I've been saying LeBeau is working with half a deck)

I have a feeling Nick Williams is going to move up the chart if he's healthy. Coach Mitchell has said positive things about him and mostly negative about Hood. McCullers @ his height might have leverage trouble playing the N...He would need to drop some weight imo, but I see him being more effective playing DE. He might not be much of a pass rusher yet, but I think he'll be solid vs the run from the get go. He'll beat most Gs with power, and will force some DBL teams...the OLB on his side should get a lot of 1 on 1 opportunities.

I like a couple of guys with more of a N type build that we could get 5 thru 7.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not trying to get too far ahead of myself but I've already started looking into 5th round prospects... Here are a few thoughts:

Lamin Barrow, ILB, LSU: Definitely worth a look here. He is the same size as LT (6'1" ~230lbs), and only a tenth of a second slower. Only weaknesses I have read about the kid is he isn't a great form tackler, which I think is easily coachable by Butler & Porter. Probably wont be around until our pick, but if he's there then we should definitely consider him.

Kenny Ladler, FS, Vanderbuilt: I know Safety is a big priority in the draft, regardless of what Tomlin/Lebeau decide to do with Ike T. I like Ladler here. He has good size (6'0"), instincts, speed (4.5s), etc. Best bet for a S prospect in round 5.

Vinnie Sunseri, SS, Alabama: Not a true FS, but could be an easy conversion. Same size & speed as Ladler. Consider him insurance if Ladler is gone.

WR's?

Ladler can play...I would take him if he's on the board over the ILB only b/c we are still unsettled at the position.

WR...take a look at Jeff Janis. Will need to be coached up some, but most every pick will at this stage..has good speed/size.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want to look at another LB...check out Shaq Barrett...Porter turned this kid into a pro prospect...2013 performance, 5th in the nation in TFL, (a conference record) and 12 sacks.

Won't be at the combine, but I'm sure Porter will suggest Tomlin/LeBeau are at his pro day...sleeper pick.

thehobocop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That measure on McCullers is pretty accurate. They called him Mount Smokey in Knoxville. He's massive.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey just to give you a head's up your time on the clock came and went. Not sure who is making the picks but if you have a player in mind I would say go ahead and make the pick.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where's Face? He had made up his mind I think so I will submit it in a few minutes.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry about that… I was running errands. Thanks for submitting the pick ATL! I PM'd Nosferatu that my pick was McCullers but he must not be on?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just back in from lunch...no problem, I was online, but didn't have this browser up so I didn't realize the time had passed either.

Considering we didn't have a 3rd rd pick...I think we've done pretty well so far. An immediate impact guy in Ebron, a CB who would see some time on the field, and a DL to take over for Hood.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea we've done damage for sure… Just going off of basic assumptions it looks like we are killin it! Now we just really need a safety! At this point it would be fair to assume that "we" are moving Ike to FS unless the Delmas deal follows through. It also would be worth it to resign Will Allen for insurance.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge guy, had a down year on a down team. Was looked at as a second round pick with room to grow coming into this season.........very very intriguing
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zhPTLZ3Tdc]The Supreme Brandon Coleman Highlights - YouTube[/ame]

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that is the common thread about Ike, but what about Ike's game makes people believe he can play FS?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that is the common thread about Ike, but what about Ike's game makes people believe he can play FS?
He is clearly regressing, but if I had to state a case for his defense it would be...

1) Knowledge… Knows the defense, 11 years with the team (10 years under Lebeau's defense). Still has good field awareness.
2) Speed… I know he is clearly regressing, but he did run 4.3's at training camp last offseason (I was there). The FS position does not demand the same speeds that the CB position does.
3) Leadership… Would be the only vocal leader left on the defense (Used to be Clark, Kiesel, Taylor & Foote). Heyward is an up and coming leader, but he still has a lot to learn in that department. This defense would maybe only have Foote, and he may not return to starting duties.

The only thing that really worries me is his tackling skills. Taylor has never been a great tackler, and a FS needs to be a tackling machine (especially in open field). Another knock on Taylor is his terrible hands… He couldn't catch water if he fell out of a boat. He could be worth keeping around, but only as a bandaid. The good thing about switching to FS would be that he wouldn't have to do man coverage, which he clearly is losing the skills for. He was often exposed this season, so switching to "helping" duties could benefit him.