• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Hokie football predictions

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see us finishing 8-4. I think our top end is 10-2, and out bottom end is 7-5.

I see it going like this:

We start 2-2. We beat William and Mary, lose to Ohio State and go 1-1 over the GT-ECU stretch.

We get UNC and Pitt on the road, and I think we split those games as well.

We get Miami at home and I just don't think they are very good so I think that is a win for us. We will beat Western Michigan. I think we should beat BC and Duke this year as well.

That leaves us at 9-3 in theory but I just see us dropping one we shouldn't in there somewhere, hence my prediction of 8-4.

I think the team will get progressively better (especially on O) as the season gets deeper and we will have a lot of confidence going into next season. I think Brewer will be competent and our system will start to emerge.

All of this aside, there is no Alabama or LSU on the schedule this year and I think that every team is beatable in theory (especially with Ohio State coming off a game against Navy and their triple option).

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with everything except dropping a game to ECU/GT. I think VT's D is structured to handle pass happy teams like ECU and ECU's defense always stinks for the most part. And I just don't see any play-makers for GT.....no one to worry about. I think getting GT early in the season is good for VT's chances. UNC and Duke games will make or break VT's season.

HokieChamp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9-3 with losses to tOSU, Duke, and WF. Here's my reasoning:

The tOSU loss will happen because we always have a tough time hanging with the big dogs. Our record against top teams is not in our favor here. After the loss, Frank will rally the troops and we will reel off seven wins in a row, with the Lunch Pail Defense bailing us a couple times in some close games. With the ACC title well within reach, we will inexplicably choke against Duke late in the 4th quarter and carry that failure over into the WF game, where we just play like shit the whole game. After this, the team will get up for the UVA game, which will be the last win of the regular season, making us 9-3.

It may sound pessimistic, but think about how many times the above scenario has happened or very nearly happened in the past. I feel like this could play out exactly like I typed it, but with the Hokies, it's hard to tell.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My prediction is lots of promise followed by some eye-rolling and face palming disappointments

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There are really too many unknowns to predict.

I like that VT are essentially underdogs here, though. They are back to relying on team play. If VT can get some things worked out early, they could be pretty formidable this year.

I'm hoping for a good showing against Ohio State, and that VT's running game works. If it does, VT will end up on the high end of these predictions.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The consensus seems to be 8-4 plus or minus two games.

When you start looking at the components of this team, there sure are a lot of things to like. Lots of potential in the running game, good wide receivers, good cornerbacks, potentially good quarterbacks. There are a lot of really solid players in key positions on this team.

All you can do is hope that some of these components come together to be formidable. I'm really hoping Michael Brewer is able to step up as the quarterback, and he has enough protection to get the job done.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The consensus seems to be 8-4 plus or minus two games.

When you start looking at the components of this team, there sure are a lot of things to like. Lots of potential in the running game, good wide receivers, good cornerbacks, potentially good quarterbacks. There are a lot of really solid players in key positions on this team.

All you can do is hope that some of these components come together to be formidable. I'm really hoping Michael Brewer is able to step up as the quarterback, and he has enough protection to get the job done.

this. please god this.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9-3. Depth in front 7 terrifies me, as does the FG kicking. However i've got some cautious optimism that the offense will put up points! :shocked: Maybe even a top 60 offense :dance:

Teams i'm confident VT will beat:
William & Mary
Georgia Tech
Western Michigan
Boston College
@Duke
@Wake Forest
Virginia

Teams i'm confident VT will lose to:
Ohio State

Toss ups:
East Carolina
@North Carolina
@Pittsburgh
Miami

Since i predicted 9-3, i obviously think VT will go 2-2 in those toss-up games. Leaning torwards the losses being @Pitt and @UNC though that's not final. We were fortunate enough to not face Duke Johnson last year, Miami is a different team with him.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you could put GT into the toss up category. The turnover in the defense has to be a concern going up against GT. Their offense is pretty stoppable once you've figured it out but with so much uncertainty right now with the players on D outside of the secondary, there may not be enough experience and discipline to keep them contained.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really have nothing to base my optimism on other than thinking the schedule is weak, but I see 9-3 as the worst possible outcome. I think they'll lose to OSU, and I think North Carolina and Pittsburgh will be tough games. Other than that, I think they win the rest.

I'm going 10-2 (OSU/UNC).

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you could put GT into the toss up category. The turnover in the defense has to be a concern going up against GT. Their offense is pretty stoppable once you've figured it out but with so much uncertainty right now with the players on D outside of the secondary, there may not be enough experience and discipline to keep them contained.

I think GT will be very mediocre this year. Sounds like they had a horrible off-season, most notably having their starting QB transfer (to JMU) outta the blue. New starter Justin Thomas has very little game experience, and i love the fact that VT gets them early in the season. I also love that GT wont be tested when they come to the Burg.. their first 3 games are Wofford, Tulane and Georgia Southern.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'm at 8-4 or 9-3. We face a few teams that are equally flawed and/or unknown.