• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Free Agent List

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? There's nothing that says they can't sign a C and get a WR, CB & safety. And a NT if necessary / possible.

If a good C hits URFA break that piggy bank! It's not like Goodwin came on the cheap. People would then begin to realize how much Goodwin sucked, and the OL would be better than it's ever been. Back to 2011 / 2012 run-blocking.

Because center is close to the bottom of the totem pole in terms of position value; I've said time and again that any below average OT or average OG could make a good center. The position has more to do with brains than it does talent. Kilgore certainly is talented enough to make a very good center in this league and I hope that by now he has a very strong grasp of the blocking schemes. We've been grooming this guy for years and it is time for him to take over.

We can't get a WR and CB and Iupati and Aldon and sign Mack, it just would cost too much and Mack is something that we simply do not need.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Because center is close to the bottom of the totem pole in terms of position value;

Which means it's the bottom of the totem in terms of cost!

I've said time and again that any below average OT or average OG could make a good center.

True to an extent, but it's not as simple as that. If it were, everyone would have good centers.

Either way, they need to start Kilgore now so we can see if the Niners need to upgrade or not. And because it would be REALLY hard for him to be worse than suck-bag Goodwin.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I still think Iupati is a premier OG in this league and we have to get something done with him. As for Aldon, his demons definitely don't scare me off, he is one of the best pass rushes in this league and I believe his presence is part of what keeps our defense going, hopefully this drives down his value a little but we MUST lock him up long term.

Kapernick doesn't look like someone that I would extend at this point, I most certainly would let him play out his rookie contract. He just doesn't look like the guy that we thought he was, his passing has regressed to the point that I miss Alex Smith. The team lives and dies by his performance and right now he is killing us.

Let's let him play out the season. We've had a pretty shaky two games from all position groups on offense and the playcalling. It's premature to dismiss the thought of re-signing him IMO.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The Niners are married to Kaepernick whether we like it or not. There's nobody else. They're not going to get a QB in this next draft IMO, and the Niners aren't bad enough to get a top QB prospect in the following drafts.

It's Kap or bust.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which means it's the bottom of the totem in terms of cost!

True to an extent, but it's not as simple as that. If it were, everyone would have good centers.

Either way, they need to start Kilgore now so we can see if the Niners need to upgrade or not. And because it would be REALLY hard for him to be worse than suck-bag Goodwin.

It isn't the bottom of the totem pole in terms of cost because it is all relevant, I'm willing to spend an amount for a top center that is relevant to the amount I pay a top OT or OG (if that makes sense). This is because you don't need a top notch center to be successful, it just isn't a position that we need to go looking for in FA, guys can be drafted in the later rounds and developed.

I don't know that he needs to start now, I believe that these guys know exactly what he can do from practicing against our DL.

Honestly center is the last thing on my mind, I'm more concerned with CB and WR.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's let him play out the season. We've had a pretty shaky two games from all position groups on offense and the playcalling. It's premature to dismiss the thought of re-signing him IMO.

I'm open to the idea of extending Kap if he drastically improves his play, but just judging from what I know right now, I wouldn't extend him. He needs to earn that pay check and to this point he hasn't, not saying that this can't change but the problems that I've seen from him are large in number: his accuracy is off, his football is sloppy, his decision making is extremely flawed, he doesn't see the whole field, he doesn't seem to have the same grasp of the offense as Alex and his confidence is shot. Harbaugh has a lot of coaching to do.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
It isn't the bottom of the totem pole in terms of cost because it is all relevant, I'm willing to spend an amount for a top center that is relevant to the amount I pay a top OT or OG (if that makes sense). This is because you don't need a top notch center to be successful, it just isn't a position that we need to go looking for in FA, guys can be drafted in the later rounds and developed.

I think you mean "relative." But of course it's relative; a guy like Mack won't get as much money as a guy like Iupati. But that's all the more reason to sign a FA C if one is out there. It's cheap (relatively speaking). And of course you can win without a great C, but that doesn't mean you don't try to get one. You can win without a great anything (even QB - 2000 Ravens).

Honestly center is the last thing on my mind, I'm more concerned with CB and WR.

It should be. Y'know why the Niners can't get any push in the running game? Big ol' fat, washed-up Jonathan Goodwin. The Niners should have addressed this need in the 2012 offseason (much more this last offseason).

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm open to the idea of extending Kap if he drastically improves his play, but just judging from what I know right now, I wouldn't extend him. He needs to earn that pay check and to this point he hasn't, not saying that this can't change but the problems that I've seen from him are large in number: his accuracy is off, his football is sloppy, his decision making is extremely flawed, he doesn't see the whole field, he doesn't seem to have the same grasp of the offense as Alex and his confidence is shot. Harbaugh has a lot of coaching to do.

I don't disagree with that. The accuracy is puzzling, as he was quite accurate for most of last season and against GB. I think that's a confidence and comfort thing. There's no doubt he has lots of room for growth, and if he doesn't show growth this season, then he doesn't get re-signed this offseason. Heck, if he doesn't show growth from the last two games, he's got to worry about McCoy and Daniels. But the tools, intelligence, and work ethic appear to be there, as does the coach, so let's see what happens.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you mean "relative." But of course it's relative; a guy like Mack won't get as much money as a guy like Iupati. But that's all the more reason to sign a FA C if one is out there. It's cheap (relatively speaking). And of course you can win without a great C, but that doesn't mean you don't try to get one. You can win without a great anything (even QB - 2000 Ravens).

It should be. Y'know why the Niners can't get any push in the running game? Big ol' fat, washed-up Jonathan Goodwin. The Niners should have addressed this need in the 2012 offseason (much more this last offseason).

Yes I mean relative, thanks its getting late and I should have been in bed an hour ago lol. We just have different beliefs on the position. I simply wouldn't pay for a top center as you can certainly win without one, comparing it to winning without a great QB is a bit off base because if you don't have a great QB and win then you must have a dominant defense and run game. This isn't the same with the center position, if you don't have a great center then you will be just as good as you would be with one.

The Niners can get push in the running game, they proved that against the Colts when they actually lined up in power run formation and ran the ball, Gore destroyed those guys and our offensive line blew them off the play. When they struggle to run is when we line up and try to run form shotgun or pistol. it isn't the OL as much as it is the formations. Don't be fooled by this new offense that we have, we've gotten away from our identity but as we saw against the Colts, when we do line up and play smash mouth football we can dominate teams.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The Niners have run-blocked well in 1 drive out of the last 2 games. They CAN run-block well, but if they do it's despite Goodwin & because of 2 great guards. If the Niners had a good C too, that OL would be unstoppable.

Start Kilgore! See if he can do better. If not, address the need in the offseason please!

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Ninercaphell has us 6.8 under going in. Rogers has base 6+. Dahl and Snyder combine 2.3. Brooks is over 5. Dorsey is at 2.3 so great time to evaluate him.
Not much of cap guy but I'm guessing base is what counts?

I'm a little puzzled why people are so down on Dorsey. There's absolutely no depth on the DL, Dorsey's never played NT before in his life, and he's out-performing Ian Williams. I've wanted a dominant NT for a long time (which is why I wanted the Niners to trade up for Poe in 2012), but Dorsey is doing an admirable job. If the offense can keep the defense off the field for more than 5 minutes a game, he might even help shut some offenses down.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I didn't realize Vontae Davis was a FA after this season. Hmmm....

Could the Niners get him to sign because he'd be able to play with big brother Vernon? That would be pretty cool.

Reefer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think Iupati is a premier OG in this league and we have to get something done with him. As for Aldon, his demons definitely don't scare me off, he is one of the best pass rushes in this league and I believe his presence is part of what keeps our defense going, hopefully this drives down his value a little but we MUST lock him up long term.

Kapernick doesn't look like someone that I would extend at this point, I most certainly would let him play out his rookie contract. He just doesn't look like the guy that we thought he was, his passing has regressed to the point that I miss Alex Smith. The team lives and dies by his performance and right now he is killing us.

I would rather extend Kaep now and have him at a lower number. I'm surprised at the hate he gets when he has no receivers who get separation. Has he been great? No, but had no Crabtree or Davis against the Colts and you saw a few passes go to Boldin when the corner was right on him. Tom Brady was having trouble without any of his top receivers and he is HOF. The guy hasn't even started a full season worth of games, there is still a lot of learning and growth that will happen with him and without options who can create a bit of separation then he is going to continue to have his struggles.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look we all know this team has holes but I feel the FO will do the right things. They have a good track record. 1 player I think we re sign is Brown. I think they like brown.

Draft a NT in the Draft- Louis Nix of ND. 2nd rd draft a CB and a WR. (we hav 2 picks)Rd 3 draft 3-4 DE and a Center. Rd draft another CB.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a little puzzled why people are so down on Dorsey. There's absolutely no depth on the DL, Dorsey's never played NT before in his life, and he's out-performing Ian Williams. I've wanted a dominant NT for a long time (which is why I wanted the Niners to trade up for Poe in 2012), but Dorsey is doing an admirable job. If the offense can keep the defense off the field for more than 5 minutes a game, he might even help shut some offenses down.

I'm not down on him just saying 2.3 for a backup nt is a lot. But if he plays good enough to deserve it maybe he gets job over Williams. I was just pointing out some of the higher salaries of people who could possibly be gone.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Look we all know this team has holes but I feel the FO will do the right things. They have a good track record. 1 player I think we re sign is Brown. I think they like brown.

Draft a NT in the Draft- Louis Nix of ND. 2nd rd draft a CB and a WR. (we hav 2 picks)Rd 3 draft 3-4 DE and a Center. Rd draft another CB.

We could have drafted John Jenkins this year. But we gave away our 1st 3rd round pick.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We could have drafted John Jenkins this year. But we gave away our 1st 3rd round pick.

was disappointed we couldn't get either DT/NT that were available...

But i'm not mad at the trade up for Reid... Reid is a baller out there... great in coverage, can get the INT and is a sure fire tackler....I'm good with the deal seeing that Reid is off to a promising start.

Who says we couldn't move back into the 3rd to get the big boys?

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather extend Kaep now and have him at a lower number. I'm surprised at the hate he gets when he has no receivers who get separation. Has he been great? No, but had no Crabtree or Davis against the Colts and you saw a few passes go to Boldin when the corner was right on him. Tom Brady was having trouble without any of his top receivers and he is HOF. The guy hasn't even started a full season worth of games, there is still a lot of learning and growth that will happen with him and without options who can create a bit of separation then he is going to continue to have his struggles.

It is funny because when Alex Smith was the QB, the no WR who get no separation excuse was not accepted but now all the sudden it is.

You kill your entire point that we should extend him by pointing out that he still hasn't even started a full season. His early success could have ran its course as much as we know. What we do know is that he has been inaccurate, he does see the whole field (receivers wide open), doesn't check down, sloppy footwork, poor decision making and is visibly shaken.

He needs to earn a contract extension just like anyone else. I think we've seen enough from guys like Kolb, Flynn and Caseel to show us that a small sample of success if not enough to extend a QB.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

Just want to add to this that Dorsey had a great game today. Depth is sorely needed, but I like the starters.

Dorsey > Ian Williams IMO.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just want to add to this that Dorsey had a great game today. Depth is sorely needed, but I like the starters.

Dorsey > Ian Williams IMO.

Dorsey had a good game. Definitely.... I liked the energy there... good night for him...

however... The STL OL forces me not too be TOO excited as they are the STL OL afterall.... :gaah: