• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Draft

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I've seen enough games to know what my big board would look like next year. I'll note this 1st...I really believe our DL/LB personnel is better suited to run a 4-3 vs a 3-4.

Looking @ 2014...Keisel retires more than likely. Fangupo is not ready to even be active so Idk how he will factor next yr.

My 4-3 lineup...DL...Woodley, LDE, with Al Woods backing him up...Mclendon & Hood @ DT, Fangupo is the backup, Heyward RDE, with Nick Williams backing him up.

LB...Williams, LOLB, Timmons MLB, Jarvis Jones ROLB

Now,assuming LeBeau is going to coach another year or two.

My Big Board (based on the 1st pick to be 15th to 18th)

1. Nix, NT Notre Dame
  2. Evans, WR TXAM
  3. Richardson, OT, Tenn
  4. Kouandjio, OT, Bama
  5. Erving, OT, FSU
  6. Jace Amaro, TE TX Tech, or Ebron, TE, No CAR
If LeBeau hangs it up and 4-3 is in play...take Nix off, and move everybody up. The only edge rushers I like Clowney, and Barr (whom I would turn loose as a DE) and both of the will be gone mid round.

I like Sammy Watkins, but idk like him that high in the draft. Evans most likely will be gone by mid round also...I like the T from TN, held his own vs Clowney 1 on 1, but it wouldn't bother me to take either of those TEs in the 1st round to pair up with Heath.

Last edited by a moderator:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...I think we have 2 more losses and we can officially start thinking 2014 draft. We are looking more and more like a top 10 picking team. NT, OT, WR, or TE are still atop my wishlist.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's safe to say that we are definitely a top 10 picking team. My wishlist is the same but different order: OT, WR, NT, TE, & another O-lineman for good measure.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's safe to say that we are definitely a top 10 picking team. My wishlist is the same but different order: OT, WR, NT, TE, & another O-lineman for good measure.

I'm not a huge college guy, but I've have started following it more recently...there are 2 legit plug n play OTs in this draft supposedly. Matthews from TxAm & Lewan from Mich.

At this point I think JAX, and Tampa are pretty much locked in on the 1 & 2 spots...MIN is not going to win many more games, I like them for the 3 spot so we're mostly likely looking at 4 thru 10 somewhere in there.

I could go OT 1st, but the rebuild will be slower I think vs a NT because the NT should make everyone on the front 7 better if he's a beast.

In either case, one of those OTs should be on the board. I wouldn't be opposed to trading back into the 1st rd, especially to get Amaro from TX Tech. I like Evans also from Tx AM and Watkins from Clemson @ WR, and really look hard for an athletic TE to pair with Miller and our RZ play should improve.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well at the rate at which things are going nowadays I wouldn't be surprised if they drafted a long snapper in the 1st...

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well at the rate at which things are going nowadays I wouldn't be surprised if they drafted a long snapper in the 1st...

lol...been a fan of the Steelers for 40+ yrs...that will be the day I stop!

This is such a crazy game...look at KC...getting blown off the field every other week LY, now 8-0 with basically a new QB and new HC and Smith is not lighting the league on fire.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol...been a fan of the Steelers for 40+ yrs...that will be the day I stop!

This is such a crazy game...look at KC...getting blown off the field every other week LY, now 8-0 with basically a new QB and new HC and Smith is not lighting the league on fire.

Call me Debbie Downer, but I'm not sold on KC... Sure they are off to one hell of a start after winning just twice last year, but I think it has a lot to do with their schedule. Basically in my mind they are doing as expected so far. They only have a few home games left and we are just at the halfway point! Don't be surprised if they fall to Buffalo next week. Still, kudos to their ownership for cleaning house at the perfect time to grab Andy Reid! I think they will finish with 10 or 11 wins and be one and done in the playoffs.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call me Debbie Downer, but I'm not sold on KC... Sure they are off to one hell of a start after winning just twice last year, but I think it has a lot to do with their schedule. Basically in my mind they are doing as expected so far. They only have a few home games left and we are just at the halfway point! Don't be surprised if they fall to Buffalo next week. Still, kudos to their ownership for cleaning house at the perfect time to grab Andy Reid! I think they will finish with 10 or 11 wins and be one and done in the playoffs.

No...you're a realist much like me.

My brother-in-law is a long time KC fan...and we've watched a lot of their games over the years...the DEF is for real...I thought Poe was going to be a major flop @ NT only b/c he never dominated in college at a relatively low level. The kid is a beast, you can't just block him with a C or a G, so one edge rusher is going to be 1 on 1 almost all the time.

Are they championship caliber? I don't think so either, especially not the OFC, 10-6 is probably worst case now, but I don't trust Smith on the road against a good team so they are probably one and done as you say...the point being most losing NFL teams are really only a player or two away from being a winning team again. The perennial losers...that missing player is often the QB.

We have the QB, but not enough playmakers (with size) around him...yea, the OL could obviously be better, but I still contend that Ben is going to be among the most sacked QBs in the NFL...it doesn't matter whose in front of him. Holding the ball and extending the play is just innate with him now.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No...you're a realist much like me.

My brother-in-law is a long time KC fan...and we've watched a lot of their games over the years...the DEF is for real...I thought Poe was going to be a major flop @ NT only b/c he never dominated in college at a relatively low level. The kid is a beast, you can't just block him with a C or a G, so one edge rusher is going to be 1 on 1 almost all the time.

Are they championship caliber? I don't think so either, especially not the OFC, 10-6 is probably worst case now, but I don't trust Smith on the road against a good team so they are probably one and done as you say...the point being most losing NFL teams are really only a player or two away from being a winning team again. The perennial losers...that missing player is often the QB.

We have the QB, but not enough playmakers (with size) around him...yea, the OL could obviously be better, but I still contend that Ben is going to be among the most sacked QBs in the NFL...it doesn't matter whose in front of him. Holding the ball and extending the play is just innate with him now.

Hit the nail on the head with this post! The most obvious with the perennial losers, like you stated, is the QB. No QB = No Postseason. But we seem to be one of the few teams that has a proven QB and still can't win. Giants, Falcons & Cowboys are the only others I can think of off the top of my head.

But yea Ben will always be Ben, no matter who is calling the plays. He will be sacked regardless because of the way he plays.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hit the nail on the head with this post! The most obvious with the perennial losers, like you stated, is the QB. No QB = No Postseason. But we seem to be one of the few teams that has a proven QB and still can't win. Giants, Falcons & Cowboys are the only others I can think of off the top of my head.

But yea Ben will always be Ben, no matter who is calling the plays. He will be sacked regardless because of the way he plays.

That is a little baffling...the one common bond is they're all $100 mil QBs and all complain of a poor OL.

Unless the cap goes up...these teams with $100 mil (or close to it) QBs or $100 mil players in general will have a tough time fielding a championship caliber team in the future imo. I really don't like NE but I have to hand it to them...I know Brady took a discount, but not THAT much of a discount yet, they find a way to put a competitive team on the field every year...of course they haven't done much in the playoffs, but they are there every year.

Ben...that's why I'm a little reluctant to give him a LT from the draft with a high pick...hell I'd rather give him somebody to get the ball to.

Yea I caught that Sweed comment a while back...:laugh3:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a little baffling...the one common bond is they're all $100 mil QBs and all complain of a poor OL.

Unless the cap goes up...these teams with $100 mil (or close to it) QBs or $100 mil players in general will have a tough time fielding a championship caliber team in the future imo. I really don't like NE but I have to hand it to them...I know Brady took a discount, but not THAT much of a discount yet, they find a way to put a competitive team on the field every year...of course they haven't done much in the playoffs, but they are there every year.

Ben...that's why I'm a little reluctant to give him a LT from the draft with a high pick...hell I'd rather give him somebody to get the ball to.

Yea I caught that Sweed comment a while back...:laugh3:

Well the one thing that Brady has always had is solid O-line play. We'll see how he does now that he just lost Vollmer (RT). Not as bad as not having a LT, but Vollmer was a stud. Still, Brady has a quicker trigger finger than Ben. He will take the yards the defense gives him on a designed play rather than improvising like Ben does. It also could have something to do with the OC/QB relationship. As we have seen, Ben does better when he is calling the shots. Brady and his OC seem to be more on the same page.

If I were Colbert and a stud LT was still on the board then I would be forced to take him. But if it's a potential/project type player I would pass. It really depends on how the FA/offseason plays out.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the one thing that Brady has always had is solid O-line play. We'll see how he does now that he just lost Vollmer (RT). Not as bad as not having a LT, but Vollmer was a stud. Still, Brady has a quicker trigger finger than Ben. He will take the yards the defense gives him on a designed play rather than improvising like Ben does. It also could have something to do with the OC/QB relationship. As we have seen, Ben does better when he is calling the shots. Brady and his OC seem to be more on the same page.

If I were Colbert and a stud LT was still on the board then I would be forced to take him. But if it's a potential/project type player I would pass. It really depends on how the FA/offseason plays out.

NE...aside from Gronk, & Amendola, they don't have much cap money invested in weapons for Brady...QB, OL, NT, 1 OLB seems to be where most of it has been spent.

Colbert, I hear ya...it's a sound move...if he can block for 6 seconds...lol

Only half kidding there actually...I'm still torn because of the way Ben plays the game, but I agree. If a Joe Thomas type is there when we pick, I would too, but then what do you do with Adams? Move him to RT and let Gilbert walk? Or let Adams walk? Do we re-sign Pouncey? Valesco may not be a stud, but he plays every game and he's solid. To be honest I'd take that over the more athletic Pouncey and put that money into another position.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NE...aside from Gronk, & Amendola, they don't have much cap money invested in weapons for Brady...QB, OL, NT, 1 OLB seems to be where most of it has been spent.

Colbert, I hear ya...it's a sound move...if he can block for 6 seconds...lol

Only half kidding there actually...I'm still torn because of the way Ben plays the game, but I agree. If a Joe Thomas type is there when we pick, I would too, but then what do you do with Adams? Move him to RT and let Gilbert walk? Or let Adams walk? Do we re-sign Pouncey? Valesco may not be a stud, but he plays every game and he's solid. To be honest I'd take that over the more athletic Pouncey and put that money into another position.

It would be hard ot let Pouncey walk because he plays a great leadership role on the line. But it's even harder to ignore his injury history. I don't want to put blame on him for this year's injury because it wasn't even his doing, but since Valesco is here it is worth questioning. It wouldn't hurt to shop Pouncey at the very least. Tough call for sure!

Adams... I would let him walk if his contract was up, if not I would see if he improves over the offseason. Doesn't he have one more year on his rookie contract? I heard rumors that the coaches weren't all that impressed with him during minicamp and training camp this year but decided to roll the dice on him since he was a 2nd rd pick. I'm still confused as to why they decided to switch him to LT at the end of training camp. I know Beachum is doing a good enough job at LT, but Tomlin/Bicknell should really consider moving Adams to RT (Gilbert to LT) to see how he does. It's one of those "why not" situations since the year is pretty much lost and they need to evaluate for the future.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be hard ot let Pouncey walk because he plays a great leadership role on the line. But it's even harder to ignore his injury history. I don't want to put blame on him for this year's injury because it wasn't even his doing, but since Valesco is here it is worth questioning. It wouldn't hurt to shop Pouncey at the very least. Tough call for sure!

Adams... I would let him walk if his contract was up, if not I would see if he improves over the offseason. Doesn't he have one more year on his rookie contract? I heard rumors that the coaches weren't all that impressed with him during minicamp and training camp this year but decided to roll the dice on him since he was a 2nd rd pick. I'm still confused as to why they decided to switch him to LT at the end of training camp. I know Beachum is doing a good enough job at LT, but Tomlin/Bicknell should really consider moving Adams to RT (Gilbert to LT) to see how he does. It's one of those "why not" situations since the year is pretty much lost and they need to evaluate for the future.

According to Spotrac.

Brown (29)...u/c thru '16.

Pouncey (24) & Gilbert (25)...they are u/c thru next season and both will be UFAs in'15.

Beachum (23), Foster, DeCastro (23) & Adams (23)...u/c thru '15, and will be UFAs in '16.

Whimper (30), Valesco (28)...u/c for this season.

Those are the main players on the OL...all are under 30 except Whimper who is 30. Unless Adams or someone is traded, LT might not be the pick unless (as we noted) a true stud is on the board.

So...for next year contractually, Colbert's biggest issue imo is what do you with Valesco...he's shown to be starter material, I think his price will go up, hopefully not so much that we can't afford him.

Brown...he has the largest cap hit next yr...unless he is completely recovered from his pectoral injury, he is probably not going to make the squad next yr...his contract is cap heavy, but also cut friendly as there is not much bonus remaining.

Beachum & DeCastro...imo these are the two no brainers...cap friendly contracts probably the two best performers this season. I keep them in their respective positions.

Adams...they decided to go young and let Starks go over money. The word that I've heard is they felt Adams has the best feet of all the OTs in drills etc, but is very raw on technique and lacked the upper body strength of a top shelf LT. Code words for potential but not ready yet. I still contend if they didn't start out so bad he would still be the starting LT, but the start combined with his worst game coming in the 4th loss sent him to the bench. Adams contract is very cap friendly, I think they are going to have to work with him. Maybe move him to RT as you mentioned, maybe he stays as a backup. If they have to cut Adams in lieu of drafting another LT with a high pick, or he's relegated to permanent backup, Colbert's job security I think takes a pretty major hit.

Foster...I've never thought much of him...always seems to be injured prior to this yr...making too much to be a backup..., but has a cut friendly contract...he has to start imo if he's on the roster.

Pouncey...if it were me, I would re-sign Valesco and keep him at C, and I would move Pouncey to LG and I would cut Foster. He has (he did) the mobility to be a G, and I like his experience next to the non-prototype LT.

Gilbert...he's not a LT, keep him @ RT.

Whimper...he's a backup, I try to keep him at the right price.

If the stud is found, that shakes up the apple cart...maybe trade Gilbert (I think he has more value than Adams) and move Adams to RT.

Didn't mean to bore you with this, but on a nights sleep I can be dangerous!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UM top 10 draft prospect, OT Lewan didn't look that great yesterday, but should note he has 3 new starters with him. Mich QB got lit up pretty good up by MSU.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wk 9 if the season ended

today...Steelers are picking 4th, MIN 3rd, TB 2nd, Jax 1st.

I know this will change 50 times by draft day, but I'd rather track this for a while until there's something worth talking about on the field.

JAX...a lock to take Bridgewater or Mariota.

TB...if Schiano stays, I could see them taking Clowney

MIN...they take Bridgewater or Mariota

PIT...you are on the clock...the best OT is on the board, best NT, best WR

What do you do?

More than likely Colbert will go with Matthews from TXAM, or Lewan, the big OT from MICH. I can't fault him for going the safest route.

IMO this is the year to get aggressive...they will reportedly get a 3rd and a 5th for losing Wallace and Lewis...I would use those picks to try and get the TE from Tx Tech, Amaro

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there is truly a WR top 5 worthy, I'd go in that direction. It's pretty hard to get an AJ Green, Calvin, Fitz, or Julio type without picking that high.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there is truly a WR top 5 worthy, I'd go in that direction. It's pretty hard to get an AJ Green, Calvin, Fitz, or Julio type without picking that high.

The Mike Evans kid from TXAM is the guy...6-5, or 6-6, speed, good hands. If it were me picking...this would be my pick.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of this week, PIT would be picking 4th.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mike Evans kid from TXAM is the guy...6-5, or 6-6, speed, good hands. If it were me picking...this would be my pick.

Yeah, I've seen him play, I haven't looked at any draft stuff, but is he rated that high? I wouldn't want to reach, and pick a top 15-20 player at 5 because you are trying to fill a need.