• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 Top Prospects

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just confirmed Arroyo will be there tomorrow, I'm sure Jones will too. Great to see our top picks ready to get out there so soon. Excited to see them play!

I saw that on your other post.

I am a bit scared to see the rotation of that AZL team. It will be pretty bad since they basically ignored SP in this draft...

I am excited to see Ragira play, though...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw that on your other post.

I am a bit scared to see the rotation of that AZL team. It will be pretty bad since they basically ignored SP in this draft...

I am excited to see Ragira play, though...

:agree: Maybe they have a few sleepers down there, but it will be mostly about the offense. If Vander-Tuig wasn't pitching in the CWS, I'd be excited about him. Ragira, Jones, Arroyo, maybe Ty Ross would make a fun infield. Interesting though, they listed Ragira as an OF. Maybe someone made a mistake in the AZL website.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They may juggle the lower rosters a bit. Escalante has already been playing in SK, for example. Not sure if they will drop him to AZL (doubt it at this point) or go with Melendez behind the dish. I would assume they are going to keep Arroyo at SS at least through this season. If they see probs they will move him quick, though, I think.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gary Brown is simply destroying the baseball right now.

Hitting .359 in his past 10 games, 3 2B's, 4 HR's, 11 RBI's but a 4:1 K:BB ratio
He is hitting .308 in June with 7 HR's and 16 RBI's.

Martin Agosta was pulled after one inning last night. Coaches believe it is a "dead arm" and they just didn't want to risk him going out there for another inning

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gary Brown is simply destroying the baseball right now.

Hitting .359 in his past 10 games, 3 2B's, 4 HR's, 11 RBI's but a 4:1 K:BB ratio
He is hitting .308 in June with 7 HR's and 16 RBI's.

Martin Agosta was pulled after one inning last night. Coaches believe it is a "dead arm" and they just didn't want to risk him going out there for another inning

If Pagan goes under the knife, call him up. Great to see him finally hitting though. The K/BB still isn't very good though.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Pagan goes under the knife, call him up. Great to see him finally hitting though. The K/BB still isn't very good though.

I disagree. His SB% still blows, and he still sucked up until the last 2 or 3 weeks.

I would prefer to take a peek at RK before Brown.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. His SB% still blows, and he still sucked up until the last 2 or 3 weeks.

I would prefer to take a peek at RK before Brown.

I'm really curious as to what is going on with the SB%. I've tried to read into it but come up with nothing. It baffles me.

I know it's not likely, but I would push for it just because we could use that type of jolt in the lineup. Granted, Blanco has been stepping up big time making it less of a need and making it more likely someone like Kieschnick would be called upon first.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just some brainstorming ideas...

Fast track Minicozzi. Maybe he actually figured something out. Move Panda to 1B and Belt to LF.

Fast track Susac. Move posey to 1B, Belt to LF.

Call up Pill with the intention of putting him more in the 1B picture. Move Belt to LF.

Panik does not offer any improvement right now, unfortunately. Scoots is still collecting his 2 hits a day, even at his slightly below average defense. His bat has to stay in the lineup.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From MLB.com

In scouting, it is wise to evaluate the quality of a pitcher's arm and mechanics, as opposed to evaluating counting statistics like wins and losses.
San Francisco Giants right-handed pitching prospect Heath Hembree has the type of quality arm worthy of serious consideration. However, lately this season, his statistical results contradict his upside.
I first saw Hembree pitch in the 2012 Arizona Fall League. He was recovering from a strained flexor tendon he suffered during his season in Triple-A Fresno.
The Arizona Fall League is a tough place for pitchers. Hitters are locked in as the air is light and the ball flies. Pitchers are tired. But Hembree threw well; he recorded nine very solid innings, pitching to a 3.00 ERA. He was 2-for-2 in saves and struck out 12.
The Giants have identified Hembree as a potential back-of-the-bullpen pitcher, and MLB.com has ranked him as the fifth-best prospect in the Giants organization.
At 6-foot-4 and 210 pounds, the 24-year-old Hembree is a big, strong presence on the mound. He has a combination of velocity and pitch repertoire that make him intriguing.
Hembree has little trouble bringing the fastball between 93 and 96 mph. If needed, he can increase that velocity to three digits. However, he has his mechanics, and that may help him from overthrowing.
Hembree's secondary pitches include a mid-80s slider and an occasional change-up that remains a work in progress. The fastball is his bread and butter.
Selected by San Francisco in the fifth round of the 2010 First Year Player Draft out of the College of Charleston, Hembree has pitched at every level of the Giants organization.
Now, in only his fourth season, Hembree has thrown 138 innings of Minor League baseball. His issue has been yielding bases on balls -- too many of them, to be sure. Hembree has walked 56, or almost four per game. He must improve his wildness to continue his path to the Major League roster.
This season was rolling along nicely for Hembree, until his two most recent outings. He had a couple of rough patches along the way, but his June 17th appearance against Salt Lake City at home -- at Triple-A Fresno -- was the first of two consecutive tough games. He only threw one-third of an inning, giving up three hits, five earned runs and two walks. Was it a bad day or a bad sign?
In his most recent appearance, the trouble continued. He threw one inning, giving up two hits and three earned runs.
It is imperative to mention that the Pacific Coast League is very hitter friendly. Wind and overall weather conditions are tough on pitchers.
Based upon what I have seen of Hembree -- if he is healthy -- his arm strength is a tremendous asset. I believe he will find his command and be an eventual presence in the Giants' bullpen.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From MLB.com

In scouting, it is wise to evaluate the quality of a pitcher's arm and mechanics, as opposed to evaluating counting statistics like wins and losses.
San Francisco Giants right-handed pitching prospect Heath Hembree has the type of quality arm worthy of serious consideration. However, lately this season, his statistical results contradict his upside.
I first saw Hembree pitch in the 2012 Arizona Fall League. He was recovering from a strained flexor tendon he suffered during his season in Triple-A Fresno.
The Arizona Fall League is a tough place for pitchers. Hitters are locked in as the air is light and the ball flies. Pitchers are tired. But Hembree threw well; he recorded nine very solid innings, pitching to a 3.00 ERA. He was 2-for-2 in saves and struck out 12.
The Giants have identified Hembree as a potential back-of-the-bullpen pitcher, and MLB.com has ranked him as the fifth-best prospect in the Giants organization.
At 6-foot-4 and 210 pounds, the 24-year-old Hembree is a big, strong presence on the mound. He has a combination of velocity and pitch repertoire that make him intriguing.
Hembree has little trouble bringing the fastball between 93 and 96 mph. If needed, he can increase that velocity to three digits. However, he has his mechanics, and that may help him from overthrowing.
Hembree's secondary pitches include a mid-80s slider and an occasional change-up that remains a work in progress. The fastball is his bread and butter.
Selected by San Francisco in the fifth round of the 2010 First Year Player Draft out of the College of Charleston, Hembree has pitched at every level of the Giants organization.
Now, in only his fourth season, Hembree has thrown 138 innings of Minor League baseball. His issue has been yielding bases on balls -- too many of them, to be sure. Hembree has walked 56, or almost four per game. He must improve his wildness to continue his path to the Major League roster.
This season was rolling along nicely for Hembree, until his two most recent outings. He had a couple of rough patches along the way, but his June 17th appearance against Salt Lake City at home -- at Triple-A Fresno -- was the first of two consecutive tough games. He only threw one-third of an inning, giving up three hits, five earned runs and two walks. Was it a bad day or a bad sign?
In his most recent appearance, the trouble continued. He threw one inning, giving up two hits and three earned runs.
It is imperative to mention that the Pacific Coast League is very hitter friendly. Wind and overall weather conditions are tough on pitchers.
Based upon what I have seen of Hembree -- if he is healthy -- his arm strength is a tremendous asset. I believe he will find his command and be an eventual presence in the Giants' bullpen.

... if he isn't included in a trade from some rotation help. EDIT: ... or an MLB-average LF. ;)

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like it is just a swap of 1B. Oropesa sent down to SJ. Neither have been playing well recently, so they are just shuffling things up.

I think that they also want to see what Angel can do at a higher level - he's never been in AA before.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that they also want to see what Angel can do at a higher level - he's never been in AA before.

And he is on the 40, so there is a clock on him. Not so much with Oropesa. With the addition of Rigiera (sp? to lazy to look it up right now), Oropesa may be dropping on the depth chart to near-org depth.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the move, I'm excited to see what the kid can do. Still excited to see how he lives up to those lofty expectations.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It seems to have worked ;)

There's an 'introductions' thread here :
http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/san-francisco-giants/64938-introduce-yourself.html

And a 'here's the weird nicknames and words we use on this board' threads here :
http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/san-francisco-giants/41840-board-language.html

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/san-francisco-giants/68515-nicknames.html

Useful if you want to know what they mean when somebody uses the terms Milk, Stamos, Chez3, or Oxy.

Welcome to the board.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems to have worked ;)

There's an 'introductions' thread here :
http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/san-francisco-giants/64938-introduce-yourself.html

And a 'here's the weird nicknames and words we use on this board' threads here :
http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/san-francisco-giants/41840-board-language.html

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/san-francisco-giants/68515-nicknames.html

Useful if you want to know what they mean when somebody uses the terms Milk, Stamos, Chez3, or Oxy.

Welcome to the board.

??

Too good to consider yourself one of us, Marco?

:boink: