• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 Top Prospects

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure we have any A prospects right now (think Posey, Villalona, Bumgarner, Anderson, Wheeler), but I think we have an abundance of B+ prospects that have the potential to be something quite special (Mejia, Blackburn, Crick, Escobar, Hembree, etc) and still further guys who are solid B to B+ guys, just with slightly lower ceilings (Stratton, Agosta, Panik, Pags, Kieschnick, etc).

I have said it before, and I will say it again, but for a team with a supposed weak system, we are stacked.

I'd call Crick an A and Brown an A-

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd call Crick an A and Brown an A-

You may be right about Crick. Although, I am not sure he is even the top pitching prospect in our system. SERIOUS arguments could be made that he is our #4 pitching prospect. That is more of a comment on the competition than it is on him, though...

As for Brown...

Well...

Uh...

We will see...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blackburn might very well be ready by next year, September 2014 looks promising. Escobar too. Those kids are WAY advanced.

Stratton and Agosta aren't even fair in Augusta. It's been the main topic thus far, but its only a matter of time before the 4 I mentioned all move up a level because they aren't even being tested right now.

Along the lines with Cal, we have a pretty underrated system. We don't have many sexy, can't-miss guys but there is A LOT of pitching depth, relievers and starters.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blackburn might very well be ready by next year, September 2014 looks promising. Escobar too. Those kids are WAY advanced.

Stratton and Agosta aren't even fair in Augusta. It's been the main topic thus far, but its only a matter of time before the 4 I mentioned all move up a level because they aren't even being tested right now.

Along the lines with Cal, we have a pretty underrated system. We don't have many sexy, can't-miss guys but there is A LOT of pitching depth, relievers and starters.

I still think it is early for promotions, but Blacky and Escobar are not learning anything in SJ. They REALLY need to go to Richmond. They are truly men among boys in the Cal league.

Mejia, Marlowe, Crick and Blach are all doing very well, but they all have something that isn't A+, so no need to early-advance them. I would like to see Statton and either Agosta, Flores or Gregorio given the bump to SJ. Stratton was drafted where he was because he was supposed to be close-ish to ready, so it was very disappointing to see him go to Augusta to start the season. At least he as done well there. It would have been VERY bad if e put up pedestrian numbers there.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think it is early for promotions, but Blacky and Escobar are not learning anything in SJ. They REALLY need to go to Richmond. They are truly men among boys in the Cal league.

Mejia, Marlowe, Crick and Blach are all doing very well, but they all have something that isn't A+, so no need to early-advance them. I would like to see Statton and either Agosta, Flores or Gregorio given the bump to SJ. Stratton was drafted where he was because he was supposed to be close-ish to ready, so it was very disappointing to see him go to Augusta to start the season. At least he as done well there. It would have been VERY bad if e put up pedestrian numbers there.

I'm thinking mid-June, if this continues for them, is when some movement will happen. Or injury to someone, but lets hope that doesn't happen.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went to the SJ game today. Escobar was fucking insane through 4, but gave up a run in the 5th and the 6th, then got pulled. In the 5th, the leadoff hitter got a single, then advanced to third on a very bad pick-off throw by Escobar (ouch!). The next inning, singleton HR. Then Bandilla came in in relief, and had 1.2 great innings ... and shat the bed. After two outs, walk, single, walk, single scored two. The (very bad) throw in from RF after the 2nd single allowed the runners to advance to 2nd & third. A balk by Bandilla plated the 3rd run and a single made run #4 in the inning (all with two outs). Both Escobar and Bandilla were throwing heat (both hit over 95 according to the stadium gun) but Bandilla seemed to often throw crap off the plate (or bouncing in front of the plate) after he got 2 strikes, hoping guys would swing, then had to go back in the zone and BAM!

Angel Villalona beat out an IF hit in his first AB, just *tearing* down the line. But I think he may have pulled something, because he never ran that fast again for the rest of the night (he almost got thrown out advancing to 2nd on a passed ball because he trotted most of the way - he beat the throw by 1/2 a sec).

Devin Harris went 3-for-5 (but no HR) and Ryan Cavan had 3 of the 4 Giant RBIs with 2 singles.

Last edited by a moderator:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the report. I really want to see Escobar live, I love those hard-throwing lefties. Too bad for Bandilla though hopefully he can take the bad from that one and turn it into good.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And to think we got Escobar in a post-RuleV draft trade. Basically got him for free from Texas.

Damn, our scouts are AWESOME...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And to think we got Escobar in a post-RuleV draft trade. Basically got him for free from Texas.

Damn, our scouts are AWESOME...

We agree,

George Kontos
Jose Mijares
Pablo Sandoval
Ryan Vogelsong
Jean Machi

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We agree,

George Kontos - trade
Jose Mijares - waiver claim - see also Ross, Cody
Pablo Sandoval - Latin scouting
Ryan Vogelsong - trash-heap find
Jean Machi - trash-heap find

mainly different methods, but all the same source...

scouting (although no one really understood how KC let Mijares go for free; that one did not make ANY sense)

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And although Kontos was a trade, we were just going to release Stewart anyhow, so in effect Kontos was free as well. I still am in awe of that ass-raping of the Yankees in that trade.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3rd time in Richmond, and very old for the league.

But you never know.

I'm hoping the vastly improved numbers might mean he's figured something out that can propel him to Teh Show. Like another pitch, or elimination of a delivery flaw, or maybe he stopped drinking.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hoping the vastly improved numbers might mean he's figured something out that can propel him to Teh Show. Like another pitch, or elimination of a delivery flaw, or maybe he stopped drinking.

Or maybe he STARTED drinking

:suds:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am hesitant to get excited about pitchers who come out of the blue in the EL. Remember Daryl Maday?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Josh Osich

Kid out of Oregon State :-)puke:). Was a starter his whole career until injuries forced him into the Pen since he's been with the Giants. Kid has nasty stuff though, and a hard fastball. Just another diamond in the rough.

Last edited by a moderator: