• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 Top Prospects

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A+ is where guys earn their attention, AA is where guys earn their stripes. We've seen many players fizzle-out in AA, but if they manage to make it through, that's what separates the big-leaguers from the career minor-leaguers. Susac passed that test this year, many others faded. Panik may need to repeat for a few months. On that note, I am also watching Mac Williamson very closely this upcoming season. He'll be promoted to Richmond and could be looking at that LF job by 2016, but this next season is VERY important for him.

Surkamp is the forgotten man, I see some Noah Lowry in him. I too hope he comes back at full-strength, we need some depth down there.

Ah, Nick's little brother. If Surkamp was more like Nick than Noah, he'd be our #1 starter already.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Rogers merely a placeholder until Crick or Mejia are ready to move up? Because otherwise, unless we're just trying to be generous with the rest of the league and give them someone they can light up on a regular basis to pump up their stats, there HAS to be a better option.

If Mejia and Crick get held back for a while, hard to argue with your San Jose scenario. But I would think someone like Gregorio might get some consideration, though he maybe didn't pitch enough at Augusta to really warrant jumping up to San Jose yet. He seems to have an interesting arm, though.

Yeah, Marte and Rogers are just placeholders for whoever is ready to make the jump from SJ. Marte has at least earned the shot, he's been in SJ for a while now (he was dominating along side Bum and Alderson years back). Rogers is just depth.

Gregoiro is a very interesting arm, but he needs to stay on the field first. They are going to take it slow with him, too many arms in front of him, so no need to rush. He with Vander-Tuig and Chris Johnson could form a nice rotation down in Augusta too.

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Marte and Rogers are just placeholders for whoever is ready to make the jump from SJ. Marte has at least earned the shot, he's been in SJ for a while now (he was dominating along side Bum and Alderson years back). Rogers is just depth.

Gregoiro is a very interesting arm, but he needs to stay on the field first. They are going to take it slow with him, too many arms in front of him, so no need to rush. He with Vander-Tuig and Chris Johnson could form a nice rotation down in Augusta too.

Speaking of Vander Tuig...can I assume that the injury or workload issues he had last year aren't anything to be worried about?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Vander Tuig...can I assume that the injury or workload issues he had last year aren't anything to be worried about?

UCLA really pushed him as much as the NCAA allowed last year, and I was VERY surprised he even pitched for the Giants org after the CWS. But he was just a spot start for Mejia who was spot starting in AAA for Surkamp who was spot starting for Zito I believe, then Tuig was shutdown.

I wouldn't worry too much though, he showed he was pretty durable, but the innings just caught up to him.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crick's final start today: 3 IP 0 H 2 BB 5 K. Blew 98 on the gun. Also, Susac 2-3 in the game.

Can't wait.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Interesting comment. Not surprising since we all knew Escobar was rocketing up the depth chart, but to have it mentioned by Sabes adds credence.

I would still want a decent 5, but this comment pretty much rules out Arroyo and Heran, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting comment. Not surprising since we all knew Escobar was rocketing up the depth chart, but to have it mentioned by Sabes adds credence.

I would still want a decent 5, but this comment pretty much rules out Arroyo and Heran, I think.

For me, adds a little more flavor to signing Johnson. He's going to get a one year deal, and given his injury history is no sure thing. I doubt the Giants are thinking about quite like this, but conceivably they'd hope that Johnson can pitch a whole year, let him walk for a big contract elsewhere and let Escobar compete for the spot in 2015. But, if Johnson happened to get injured, Sabes still has faith in Escobar to be the 6th starter essentially.

At the very least, this means the Giants are likely only looking at 1-year deal guys. So Johnson, Volgy, or organizational depth Petit/Surkamp until Escobar is ready.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, adds a little more flavor to signing Johnson. He's going to get a one year deal, and given his injury history is no sure thing. I doubt the Giants are thinking about quite like this, but conceivably they'd hope that Johnson can pitch a whole year, let him walk for a big contract elsewhere and let Escobar compete for the spot in 2015. But, if Johnson happened to get injured, Sabes still has faith in Escobar to be the 6th starter essentially.

At the very least, this means the Giants are likely only looking at 1-year deal guys. So Johnson, Volgy, or organizational depth Petit/Surkamp until Escobar is ready.

I think it's going to be Tron.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:nod:

I am not a fan of JJ if his asking price is 10M, though. He is a HUGE question mark, and qualifies as more risk than reward, IMHO, so giving him a 10M deal is too steep. Let the Padres dedicate 31% of their payroll on that contract.

Sad how he would be pegged as the 1 on the Padres, and we are talking about signing him as a 5 who could be pushed by mid-season (with the obvious possibility of pitching into the top 3, of course).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's going to be Tron.

The more we talk about it and the more I think about it, I agree.

He is one of the hearts of the locker room, and there are enough legit explanations for his drop last year that I would be fine giving him a flier this year.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sabes' comments today about Escobar are really ringing around in my head today. I think you HAVE to place him as the SOLID #2 prospect in the org after that comment.

Sabes does not often talk up the kids like that.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DAYUM.

I just re-read this thread and there was some serious skillz demonstrated here. I can't wait until next years edition.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DAYUM.

I just re-read this thread and there was some serious skillz demonstrated here. I can't wait until next years edition.

I never even previewed the pitchers, who were our bread and butter this year :doh:

Our next top 10 list is going to be littered with pitchers, and tzill's favorite little-Giant.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't wait to see what "the San Jose four" are going to do in Richmond next year.