• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 Top Prospects

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't know your ass from your elbow kid.......

So much fail on so many levels, and uber-offensive to boot.

What does it take to ban this poster?

IBTZ.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL what? Condescending yet completely wrong... Two steals for guys who look like fringe major leaguers though both 24. Gotta say that Sabean, like any GM with as long of tenure as his, is going to have plenty of hits and misses, but it really seems that when he has traded prospects they have not really come back to haunt us. I'm sure there are a few guys who went on to have success I'm forgetting, but off the top of my head Liriano is the only guy I can remember having a pretty nice career. Obviously Wheeler looks like a guy we can eventually add to the list, but other than a few guys become decent relievers, seems the front office knows the prospects to let go.

Liriano I would actually place more in the "bust" column. He has had a total of 2 or 3 solid years since the trade. He was a known injury issue at the time and he pretty much turned out to be almost exactly what he appeared to be (REAL good, but incredibly inconsistent).

Rios is hard to say that Sabes knew what he was letting go of since Rios suffered essentially a career-ending injury shortly after the trade.

Nathan was not REALLY a prospect at the time of the trade.

You mentioned Wheeler, but technically, he is still a question mark.

But yea, Sabes was getting a rep of fleecing other GMs in trades. I mentioned at the time of the Tranny trade (75% joking), and it has been mentioned since by beat-writers, that Sabes may have purposefully "lost" that trade in order to open the door again for future trades. Not sure I truthfully believe that, but it is fun to speculate about.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know, I had kinda written him off as dead after last year's terrible season, but I took a look at Chris Dominguez's numbers again, and he's actually posting career highs in average, OBP, SLG and OPS. He may never be a starting caliber MLer, but it's nice to see that he's bounced back very well. He may yet have a chance, based on his power alone. He still has very little idea of the strike zone.

Reefer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Liriano I would actually place more in the "bust" column. He has had a total of 2 or 3 solid years since the trade. He was a known injury issue at the time and he pretty much turned out to be almost exactly what he appeared to be (REAL good, but incredibly inconsistent).

Rios is hard to say that Sabes knew what he was letting go of since Rios suffered essentially a career-ending injury shortly after the trade.

Nathan was not REALLY a prospect at the time of the trade.

You mentioned Wheeler, but technically, he is still a question mark.

But yea, Sabes was getting a rep of fleecing other GMs in trades. I mentioned at the time of the Tranny trade (75% joking), and it has been mentioned since by beat-writers, that Sabes may have purposefully "lost" that trade in order to open the door again for future trades. Not sure I truthfully believe that, but it is fun to speculate about.

Wow you are totally right about Liriano. When I wrote that I was thinking he probably had close to 100 wins and a few pretty good seasons, but after looking at the stats not that impressive. 191 IP is his career high and only one other time about 150. Career losing record before this season in Pit. I guess when he blew up right after the trade, I didn't want to follow him that closely out of anger, but you are spot on, 2 maybe 3 decent years. Definitely agree with everything else, Nathan was a guy I think was going to be moved no matter what that offseason and Wheeler still to young to know anything for sure.

Looked up at the trade history on MLB rumors and I gotta say seeing the prospects we've given up at deadline deals, he's done great there. Lofton, Ponson, Garko, Sanchez, Cabrera and so one may have or may have not worked out, but the prospects rarely turned out to be much of anything.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edwin Escobar's last start:

7IP, 1H, 0ER, 0R, 0BB, 6Ks, 90 pitches. Faced 1 batter over the minimum. I am REALLY excited to see this kid, hopefully next spring. He now has a 19.2 scoreless innings streak.

You know who's down there watching him, Volgy. I know that probably doesn't mean much, the Giants FO has a close eye on him. But It's gotta mean something if Volgy can give a first hand account of the kid.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edwin Escobar's last start:

7IP, 1H, 0ER, 0R, 0BB, 6Ks, 90 pitches. Faced 1 batter over the minimum. I am REALLY excited to see this kid, hopefully next spring. He now has a 19.2 scoreless innings streak.

You know who's down there watching him, Volgy. I know that probably doesn't mean much, the Giants FO has a close eye on him. But It's gotta mean something if Volgy can give a first hand account of the kid.

Evans was in attendance for that game, if I am not mistaken. He will almost certainly get an MLB invite to camp in the spring, and he may start the season as the primary SP call-up.

Crick is still 1, but it s possible Escobar has taken the 2 spot.

Or maybe Blackburn has that spot.

Or Mejia.
Or Blach.
Or Flores.
Or Williamson.
Or...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My top 26:

Brown
Dominguez
Peggs
Kick
Hembree
Minicozzi
Panik
Parker
AnVil
Esky
Gloor
Quirarte
Bond
Harris
Williamson
Oropesa
Blach
Blackburn
Crick
Mejia
Payne
Flores
Lujan
Stratton
Agosta
Bucardo

We've got a decent amount of talent in the minors, and I didn't include rookie leagues (as I don't follow them)

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My top 26:

Brown
Dominguez
Peggs
Kick
Hembree
Minicozzi
Panik
Parker
AnVil
Esky
Gloor
Quirarte
Bond
Harris
Williamson
Oropesa
Blach
Blackburn
Crick
Mejia
Payne
Flores
Lujan
Stratton
Agosta
Bucardo

We've got a decent amount of talent in the minors, and I didn't include rookie leagues (as I don't follow them)

Minicozzi is a 30 year old infielder who has never risen above AA.

We have a LOT of pitching talent in the low minors, but the hitting needs help. Panik, Pegs at AAA, Williamson at A+ appear to be good hitters.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take a look at Matt Duffy's numbers too. I pegged him as a potential future bench guy back in the 2012 prospects preview, but a disappointing debut tempered those expectations. Another half-season in Augusta has seemed to build his confidence.

He as a 1:1 K/BB ratio, 24 steals and 27 XBH batting .313 (.847 OPS) between Augusta and San Jose. He is a SS out of Long Beach State, and a very good and versatile defender, playing SS, 2B and 3B in his career. He obviously has a ways to go, being a college kid and having to repeat a low-level in the minors isn't exactly screaming potential and he hasn't reached AA yet, but it's good to see guys having success. And up-the-middle defenders with speed and some pop will find a home. His type of numbers translate well as he advances.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They LOVE Duffy over at DrB's site. He doesn't really do anything that screams to me that he has any kind of potential, but I will certainly keep an eye on him. I would prefer Adrianza to be a bench player, with his defense.

tz, you REALLY need to get off this Minicozzi kick you have been on this year. He MAY earn a cuppo, but that is his ceiling. Same with Bond.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They LOVE Duffy over at DrB's site. He doesn't really do anything that screams to me that he has any kind of potential, but I will certainly keep an eye on him. I would prefer Adrianza to be a bench player, with his defense.

tz, you REALLY need to get off this Minicozzi kick you have been on this year. He MAY earn a cuppo, but that is his ceiling. Same with Bond.

Who is DrB? I see you guys reference him a lot, but I'm not familiar with it/him/her.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minicozzi is a 30 year old infielder who has never risen above AA.

We have a LOT of pitching talent in the low minors, but the hitting needs help. Panik, Pegs at AAA, Williamson at A+ appear to be good hitters.

I'd guess Mini will be in Fresno soon enough. Monell might be a decent backup; he'd certainly hit better than Q. Jury's still out on AnVil, as he just got to AA; Panik is at AA btw; Parker has shown flashes at AA too.

At A+, Duffy and Oropesa are doing well, and Williamson, Harris and Bond might be ML talent as well.

At A- Payne has been good, and Brown and Delfino has shown flashes.

We're not loaded with hitters, but there is some talent there.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look for Crick, Susac, Mejia, Parker and Hall in the AFL this post-season.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just looked up Cody Hall again just to remind myself...

HOLY SHIT!!!!!

0.783 WHIP between SJ and Richmond over 60 IP.

1.2 to 1.0 is VERY good and 0.9 is considered SUPER elite...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just looked up Cody Hall again just to remind myself...

HOLY SHIT!!!!!

0.783 WHIP between SJ and Richmond over 60 IP.

1.2 to 1.0 is VERY good and 0.9 is considered SUPER elite...

Hall has been on my radar since after his 2011 season, his numbers have gotten better all 3 years of professional baseball (and he started off out of the gate with some pretty damn good numbers!). He has a chance to make some noise next year with the big league club. He's behind Hembree on the list, but the 2 guys aren't all that different. Big, tall, hard throwing right-handers. Reports I've read have Hall with less of a fastball than Hembree (though still above-average), but better command and secondary stuff (slider/changeup).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, he has already owned AA, so there is a strong possibility he starts in Fresno, with the door open to making the big club out of the gate.

We could have a bully similar to the Braves in '14 or '15 (Vetters/Kimbrel coming up at essentially the same time).

Then we still have all 14 Johnsons and Law and Bochy and...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hall is looking like he may be a better prospect than Hembree...

They aren't all that different, one thing I want to see is Hall in AAA. Hall has been more susceptible to the long-ball to this point compared to Hembree. Hembree was on fire before he hit AAA, but then his command was exposed a bit. I want to see how Hall fairs first.

Plus, looks like Hembree has figured it out after his initial struggles in Fresno. He's been on a roll lately and his command has been GREAT this year. He's just been exposed by a few bad outings and the homers.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, he has already owned AA, so there is a strong possibility he starts in Fresno, with the door open to making the big club out of the gate.

We could have a bully similar to the Braves in '14 or '15 (Vetters/Kimbrel coming up at essentially the same time).

Then we still have all 14 Johnsons and Law and Bochy and...

I think he's headed to AAA. Going off the 2014 rosterbation thread, we have Romo, Casilla as locks, then Machi, Rosario, Kontos, Hembree, Dunning to fill 2 or 3 of the spots in the Pen (the others going to Affeldt, and possibly Lopez and/or Mijares). And every years there's been the non-roster spring training invites that make the pen. We can afford to let Hall start in AAA, which will be good for him.

I do like the thought of Hembree-Hall-Osich-Law and maybe even baby Boch taking over the late innings. Lots of hard-throwers.