• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 Top Prospects

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My initial thought is that Fresno needed an arm, and mejia was available. Org shuffling, nothing more.

However, he is one of our top prospects, so a jump is not out of the question.

Remember a few years ago, Adrianza went from Augusta to Fresno for about a week or so. Confused all the prospect hounds.

That was part of my reflection, but they could just have promoted Snodgrass, Westcott or Gloor.

I do remember Adrianza being promoted, it was in like 2008 and he went from Salem to Fresno I'm pretty sure, after coming out of the Dominican. I think we were all pretty thrown off. The difference was that he never had a season in America under his belt. Mejia does.

I just wonder if they are putting him in a position to compete for a job next year, but then why not just do that with Escobar? Really Curious situation, I'm going to do some research to see what the deal is.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was part of my reflection, but they could just have promoted Snodgrass, Westcott or Gloor.

I do remember Adrianza being promoted, it was in like 2008 and he went from Salem to Fresno I'm pretty sure, after coming out of the Dominican. I think we were all pretty thrown off. The difference was that he never had a season in America under his belt. Mejia does.

I just wonder if they are putting him in a position to compete for a job next year, but then why not just do that with Escobar? Really Curious situation, I'm going to do some research to see what the deal is.

The geniuses in the front office are just messing with our minds.

:minion:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dunning has done a nice job since coming up. Throws strikes. Wasn't he a starter at San Jose a few years ago? Would he be a possible starter, or have they settled on him in the bully now?

Dunning made a few starts in the minors, but he was never a full-time guy. I would highly doubt they would considered him as a starter, he has been a nice piece in the Pen, Mota's replacement in a way. If there was ever a need for a spot start, he'd probably be the guy.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Susac is quietly having a good year in AA (not a great hitter's league) : .267/.374/.478/.852 ; 12 HRs, 17 doubles.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Susac is quietly having a good year in AA (not a great hitter's league) : .267/.374/.478/.852 ; 12 HRs, 17 doubles.

approved.png

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 pitchers who started in A+ San Jose were recently promoted to AA Richmond, and all 3 pitchers could be on their way to the majors as soon as 2014. Edwin Escobar, Josh Osich, Cody Hall. I want to highlight these guys because I am excited to see these guys, they have Major League stuff, size, makeup and are putting up big numbers.

Starting with Escobar, he's a southpaw we got (stole) in a trade with Texas for another lefty Ben Snyder (Ben is now a minor league FA). Escobar throws a fastball up to 94 mph that he cant cut and sink, throws a slurvy breaking-ball and a straight changeup. And he has great command of all of his pitches, as told by his 5.36 SO/BB ratio. He understands how to pitch, understands how to mix-up the movement of his fastball and he has command which is why he is the first of the bunch to be promoted and has a chance to compete for a job next year.

Cody Hall is a big right handed reliever who wields a big fastball and throws a slider/changeup combo. Everything he throws is hard and he has been able to blow people away throughout his minor league career, he has 168 strikeouts in 122 innings in 3 seasons. He has been virtually un-hittable this season, holding batters to a .132 average against him. He has progress nicely to this point, strikeout rate has gone up every year, walk rate has gone down, ERA has gone down, BAA has gone down. He too has a chance to pitch for a job next spring.

Josh Osich was a former starter at OSU and has a no-hitter under his belt in his time there against UCLA. Injuries plagued him though and the Giants decided to move him to the Pen permanently after drafting him. As for his stuff, he throws a high 90s fastball (some reports have him reaching 100 every now and then) and a slider/changeup combo. His stuff is better suited for the bullpen IMO anyway, he can let it go for an inning, not have to worry about matchups and his arm with be preserved. He has closer material. He struggled through a few outings initially in AA, but has 2 perfect outings since so hopefully he's smoothed things out. Like Escobar and Hall, he has chance to pitch for a job in the spring, but I think Osich has the best chance of the bunch to secure a job.

Obviously, there is still a lot more season to go. Keep an eye out for these guys, they are part of the future.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 pitchers who started in A+ San Jose were recently promoted to AA Richmond, and all 3 pitchers could be on their way to the majors as soon as 2014. Edwin Escobar, Josh Osich, Cody Hall. I want to highlight these guys because I am excited to see these guys, they have Major League stuff, size, makeup and are putting up big numbers.

Starting with Escobar, he's a southpaw we got (stole) in a trade with Texas for another lefty Ben Snyder (Ben is now a minor league FA). Escobar throws a fastball up to 94 mph that he cant cut and sink, throws a slurvy breaking-ball and a straight changeup. And he has great command of all of his pitches, as told by his 5.36 SO/BB ratio. He understands how to pitch, understands how to mix-up the movement of his fastball and he has command which is why he is the first of the bunch to be promoted and has a chance to compete for a job next year.

Cody Hall is a big right handed reliever who wields a big fastball and throws a slider/changeup combo. Everything he throws is hard and he has been able to blow people away throughout his minor league career, he has 168 strikeouts in 122 innings in 3 seasons. He has been virtually un-hittable this season, holding batters to a .132 average against him. He has progress nicely to this point, strikeout rate has gone up every year, walk rate has gone down, ERA has gone down, BAA has gone down. He too has a chance to pitch for a job next spring.

Josh Osich was a former starter at OSU and has a no-hitter under his belt in his time there against UCLA. Injuries plagued him though and the Giants decided to move him to the Pen permanently after drafting him. As for his stuff, he throws a high 90s fastball (some reports have him reaching 100 every now and then) and a slider/changeup combo. His stuff is better suited for the bullpen IMO anyway, he can let it go for an inning, not have to worry about matchups and his arm with be preserved. He has closer material. He struggled through a few outings initially in AA, but has 2 perfect outings since so hopefully he's smoothed things out. Like Escobar and Hall, he has chance to pitch for a job in the spring, but I think Osich has the best chance of the bunch to secure a job.

Obviously, there is still a lot more season to go. Keep an eye out for these guys, they are part of the future.

All three of these guys are pitching well. Escobar has had only three starts at AA, but he's put up three PQS "5's." Hall is really pitching well after a nice half season at SJ, and Osich is holding his own as well. All three could factor in to ST in 2014. I'm very excited about Escobar. That AA staff hasn't been very sharp lately with Rogers, Snodgrass, and Westcott all ineffective their last five starts or so. Gloor has been a bit more effective, but Escobar has been the bright spot. He may end up in AAA by the end of the year. If so, don't be surprised if Blach, Blackburn or even Mejia get a look in Richmond.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I also am excited about these three (I go to SJ Giants games, and these 3 heped SJ win the 1/2 half, which means they get a 'bye' in the first round of the playoffs) ...

1) AA is the *big* step. Until people make it thru AA in good shape, I don't project them "being the majors" in a year.
2) I don't think any of the 3 are going to be in SF soon (Sep '14 would be the absolute earliest, and I'd be surprised if they make it up then - UNLESS injury forces the promotion, like Kickham this year). Sometime in 2015 would be more realistic.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I also am excited about these three (I go to SJ Giants games, and these 3 heped SJ win the 1/2 half, which means they get a 'bye' in the first round of the playoffs) ...

1) AA is the *big* step. Until people make it thru AA in good shape, I don't project them "being the majors" in a year.
2) I don't think any of the 3 are going to be in SF soon (Sep '14 would be the absolute earliest, and I'd be surprised if they make it up then - UNLESS injury forces the promotion, like Kickham this year). Sometime in 2015 would be more realistic.

Agreed, AA is the big measurement for me, more so for our hitters, but pitchers too. Guys are starting to get more advanced, you can't just blow people away with fastballs all you want, or throw breaking stuff out of the zone. If they make it through AA, I have a lot more confidence in guys.

For me on these guys though, I feel they are all advanced enough to make the organization think. At this rate, they'll all get invitations to Spring Training, and 2 of these guys pitch out of the bullpen. Escobar has 2015 in his sights, when Volgy and potentially Lincecum (if he accepts a QO) are going out the door. Osich and Hall could be candidates to fill a back-end, but they are way long-shots. The Giants have been known to aggressively promote their young pitchers in the past too, but that seems to have changed the last couple seasons.

You are most likely right, Sept 2014 would likely be the earliest we see these guys, but I was just pointing out some fast-risers in our organization and some names to look out for.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clayton Blackburn dominant again.
Back to back starts going eight innings. 2 ER in the starts.

Past five starts:
34 IP, 6 ER, 27 K's, 4 BB's

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We may end up seeing one or two of the Uber-Arms next season.

Blackburn, Crick and Escobar are all putting together dominating seasons. Mejia, Flores, Blach also all doing VERY well.

Stratton has been a pretty big disappointment. He was drafted because he was supposedly close to ready, but he has put up pedestrian numbers in A- this year.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Blackburn, Crick and Escobar are all putting together dominating seasons. Mejia, Flores, Blach also all doing VERY well.

Stratton has been a pretty big disappointment. He was drafted because he was supposedly close to ready, but he has put up pedestrian numbers in A- this year.

Agosta was putting up big numbers before his injury. Don't know what it was though, do you?

EDIT: Thanks google, I was fearing the worst, but it's just blister problems.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have followed the minors closely for a solid 8 or so years and I don't think I've been as excited for a group of prospects as I have for this group, except maybe for the 2007 draft class+AnVill, but we know how that group turned out. Obviously, I've been excited for the big guys (Posey, Lincecum, Cain, Bum etc..) but this group of pitchers just intrigues me so much. It is such a diverse group and they are all competing with each other, which I think helps all of them.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have followed the minors closely for a solid 8 or so years and I don't think I've been as excited for a group of prospects as I have for this group, except maybe for the 2007 draft class+AnVill, but we know how that group turned out. Obviously, I've been excited for the big guys (Posey, Lincecum, Cain, Bum etc..) but this group of pitchers just intrigues me so much. It is such a diverse group and they are all competing with each other, which I think helps all of them.

I started following the minors closely starting with the '07 draft. The potential of that class was so damn high, and the org crapped it away. They turned all those 1st rounders into 3rd and 4th rounders.

That is a vacuum, of course. They did hit 1HR with those picks, and they did cross the finish line (twice) since the draft, so I can't argue too much, but it does look like a battle that was lost in a pretty mad manor.

As for prospect groups, Ainsworth, Williams, Foppert, Bonser, Linden, etc from the turn of the century was a pretty impressive class. Too bad EVERY FUCKING ONE OF THEM FLOPPED!!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, I am not extending that class to the trades that they were involved in.

2 all-star level 2B coming back from those picks was some nice wheeling and dealing.

Ibangedlolojones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, I am not extending that class to the trades that they were involved in.

2 all-star level 2B coming back from those picks was some nice wheeling and dealing.

You don't know your ass from your elbow kid.......

Reefer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't know your ass from your elbow kid.......

LOL what? Condescending yet completely wrong... Two steals for guys who look like fringe major leaguers though both 24. Gotta say that Sabean, like any GM with as long of tenure as his, is going to have plenty of hits and misses, but it really seems that when he has traded prospects they have not really come back to haunt us. I'm sure there are a few guys who went on to have success I'm forgetting, but off the top of my head Liriano is the only guy I can remember having a pretty nice career. Obviously Wheeler looks like a guy we can eventually add to the list, but other than a few guys become decent relievers, seems the front office knows the prospects to let go.