• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 NFL Rookies

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
DeAndre Hopkins - WR - Texans

DeAndre Hopkins caught just two passes for 23 yards in Sunday's Week 5 loss to the 49ers.

Hopkins was targeted just four times. Like the rest of his receiver teammates, Hopkins was a victim of Matt Schaub's pitiful performance. Look for the Texans to get back to running the ball a lot more, especially if T.J. Yates takes over at quarterback. Hopkins is more WR4 than WR3 at the moment.

Oct 6 - 11:45 PM

Nope. He was targeted like four or five consecutive times at one point. He was targeted on the play where he committed PI. I can think of about five or six plays at least on which he was targeted.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Le'Veon Bell - RB - Steelers

Le'Veon Bell (foot) confirmed he came out of his NFL debut with no setbacks.

Despite missing the first three weeks with a sprained foot, Bell played on 60-of-79 snaps and touched the ball 20 times in Week 4. He said he felt no discomfort afterward and declared himself ready to rock this week. Bell has a very tough matchup at the Jets, but his volume makes him a top-20 running back play.
Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Oct 8 - 10:47 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Le'Veon Bell - RB - Steelers

Ben Roethlisberger heaped praise on Le'Veon Bell Tuesday.

Just prior to Bell's NFL debut, Roethlisberger made waves by questioning the rookie in the media. After Bell's 20-touch, two-TD performance in Week 4, Big Ben has changed his tune. "I was really happy with the things he did and I'm not going to say that he was Adrian Peterson, but he showed some glimpses of some things I see Adrian Peterson do," Roethlisberger said. Bell is locked and loaded as an every-down workhorse going forward. His foot is 100 percent.
Source: ESPN.com

Oct 9 - 11:01 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Travis Kelce - TE - Chiefs

Chiefs TE Travis Kelce underwent arthroscopic knee surgery Tuesday.

Kelce never got over the bone bruise he sustained in the preseason, turning his rookie season into a lost year. The Associated Press suggests he could placed on injured reserve. It's a disappointing turn of events for Kelce, a physically imposing third-round pick that had a major chance with only Anthony Fasano ahead of him on the depth chart. Kelce remains a hold in deeper Dynasty formats.
Source: Dave Skretta on Twitter

Oct 9 - 12:57 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sick & Clyde, I have been saying this for the longest. People looked at me as if I was crazy for making that same suggestion:

Jordan Poyer - DB - Eagles

The Eagles have talked with seventh-round CB Jordan Poyer about moving to safety.

Poyer played safety as a freshman at Oregon State. It's unlikely that he'll make the position switch this season, but it wouldn't be a bad idea since there were questions about his speed coming out of college. After playing 17 defensive snaps in the opener, Poyer has been relegated to strictly special teams work.
Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News

Oct 11 - 9:23 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Zach Ertz - TE - Eagles

The Philadelphia Inquirer expects rookie TE Zach Ertz to become a "major player" in the Eagles' offense "very soon."

After playing just over 25 percent of the snaps the first three weeks, Ertz has played 41 percent of the offensive snaps the past two games. The No. 35 overall pick in April's draft has reeled in seven of his 11 targets and each catch has resulted in a first down. Ertz has even begun eating into Brent Celek's snaps in single-tight end sets. Coach Chip Kelly plans to continue to ease Ertz in, so don't expect major statistical contributions in year one.

Oct 11 - 8:46 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Johnthan Banks - DB - Buccaneers

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports rookie CB Johnthan Banks is the latest Buccaneers player to contract an MRSA staph infection.

Kicker Lawrence Tynes and LG Carl Nicks were the first two Bucs to get infected, and Nicks recently experienced a recurrence of symptoms. Banks, a second-round rookie out of Mississippi State, is now obviously unlikely to play in Week 6 against Philadelphia. He has been Tampa Bay's starting corner opposite Darrelle Revis, with Leonard Johnson covering the slot. Banks recorded ten tackles and one interception over the Bucs' first four games.
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Oct 11 - 2:00 PM

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Johnthan Banks - DB - Buccaneers

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports rookie CB Johnthan Banks is the latest Buccaneers player to contract an MRSA staph infection.

Kicker Lawrence Tynes and LG Carl Nicks were the first two Bucs to get infected, and Nicks recently experienced a recurrence of symptoms. Banks, a second-round rookie out of Mississippi State, is now obviously unlikely to play in Week 6 against Philadelphia. He has been Tampa Bay's starting corner opposite Darrelle Revis, with Leonard Johnson covering the slot. Banks recorded ten tackles and one interception over the Bucs' first four games.
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Oct 11 - 2:00 PM

Well gosh, I know which team's whirlpools I would avoid....

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Sick & Clyde, I have been saying this for the longest. People looked at me as if I was crazy for making that same suggestion:

Jordan Poyer - DB - Eagles

The Eagles have talked with seventh-round CB Jordan Poyer about moving to safety.

Poyer played safety as a freshman at Oregon State. It's unlikely that he'll make the position switch this season, but it wouldn't be a bad idea since there were questions about his speed coming out of college. After playing 17 defensive snaps in the opener, Poyer has been relegated to strictly special teams work.

Oct 11 - 9:23 AM

I don't remember that particular suggestion, but I'll take your word for it. It's perfectly reasonable. some people make the move from CB to S out to be like moving from Short Stop to Shooting guard. :rollseyes:

The best college DBs usually play CB anyway, so the ones who have good instincts & can tackle / hit well wouldn't have an extremely hard time with the move.

However, sometimes CBs move to safety because they're not good enough to play CB at the NFL level rather than because he's a better fit there. That may be the case with Poyer.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't remember that particular suggestion, but I'll take your word for it. It's perfectly reasonable. some people make the move from CB to S out to be like moving from Short Stop to Shooting guard. :rollseyes:

The best college DBs usually play CB anyway, so the ones who have good instincts & can tackle / hit well wouldn't have an extremely hard time with the move.

However, sometimes CBs move to safety because they're not good enough to play CB at the NFL level rather than because he's a better fit there. That may be the case with Poyer.

ok, but how many CB's fit this description?

i'd think some CB's don't like tackling or the type of tackling, that Safeties are required to make?

Last edited by a moderator:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Since you're calling me a liar :rollseyes:
http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/2532664-post690.html

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
on one had you DID mention FS, but on the other........I like this part..................."Of course that's just my opinion and I can very well be wrong."

not exactly convinced? :-)

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Matt Barkley - QB - Eagles

Eagles rookie QB Matt Barkley says his right shoulder was still an issue during the offseason.

Barkley separated his right (throwing) shoulder in November of his senior year at USC. "It wasn't 100 percent," Barkley said, "I'll admit that." Per the Philly Inquirer, Barkley's passes noticeably "lacked jump" during practices open to the media. Barkley and the Eagles now insist his arm is stronger. "We've seen him get stronger and stronger as he's been there," coach Chip Kelly said. "His arm is a lot stronger than when he first got here, but we could tell that." Barkley is expected to "redshirt" his rookie season.
Source: Philadelphia Inquirer

Oct 12 - 12:18 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Keenan Allen - WR - Chargers

Keenan Allen caught nine passes for 107 yards and one touchdown in San Diego's Week 6, 19-9 win over the Colts on Monday night.

The rookie was targeted a game-high 12 times and did most of his damage in the first half. The Chargers resorted to running the ball and kicking field goals in the second half to keep Andrew Luck and the Indianapolis offense off the field. A week after posting a 6-115-1 line against Oakland, Allen whipped the Colts' defensive backs with ease, especially on a second-quarter drive that ended with Allen securing a 22-yard touchdown. He beat Vontae Davis and Delano Howell in double-coverage to make a diving grab in the back of the end zone. Howell was completely out of position on the play. Allen has emerged as Philip Rivers' new go-to guy in the passing game and is a legit WR3 in what is typically a pass-first offense. The 3-3 Chargers have a dream matchup in Jacksonville next week.

Oct 14 - 11:39 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
E.J. Manuel - QB - Bills

Coach Doug Marrone said E.J. Manuel (knee) will miss another 4-6 weeks.

In that scenario, Manuel will return for Week 11 against the Jets at the earliest. The Bills have a Week 12 bye before hosting the Falcons in Week 13. If we were to guess, Manuel won't be back any time before Week 13. The Bills will continue to trot Thad Lewis out as their starting quarterback in the meantime. Matt Flynn will be Lewis' backup, while Jeff Tuel will be the No. 3.
Source: Mike Rodak on Twitter

Oct 16 - 2:05 PM

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keenan Allen - WR - Chargers

Keenan Allen caught nine passes for 107 yards and one touchdown in San Diego's Week 6, 19-9 win over the Colts on Monday night.

The rookie was targeted a game-high 12 times and did most of his damage in the first half. The Chargers resorted to running the ball and kicking field goals in the second half to keep Andrew Luck and the Indianapolis offense off the field. A week after posting a 6-115-1 line against Oakland, Allen whipped the Colts' defensive backs with ease, especially on a second-quarter drive that ended with Allen securing a 22-yard touchdown. He beat Vontae Davis and Delano Howell in double-coverage to make a diving grab in the back of the end zone. Howell was completely out of position on the play. Allen has emerged as Philip Rivers' new go-to guy in the passing game and is a legit WR3 in what is typically a pass-first offense. The 3-3 Chargers have a dream matchup in Jacksonville next week.

Oct 14 - 11:39 PM

Sill shocked at how far he fell in the draft considering his talent.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sill shocked at how far he fell in the draft considering his talent.

Given where he was drafted, the injuries his senior year, and his slow-as-molasses 40 time, it's easy to forget just how good this guy was in college. I'm kicking myself for not claiming him in fantasy a week and a half ago. My WR corps is very strong, but couldn't get my head around cutting Steve Smith at that point. D'oh!

I am relieved that Reid has looked so good, though, as Allen was the guy I would have taken with the third rounder we shipped to the Cowboys.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
D.J. Swearinger - DB - Texans

The Texans have decided to go with D.J. Swearinger over Shiloh Keo at strong safety in Danieal Manning's (broken leg, injured reserve) absence.

It's an about face from earlier in the week, where the Texans pledged to go with Keo. A second-round pick, Swearinger has struggled in 145 snaps this season, but the Texans have little to gain long-term by using end-of-roster type Keo over their rookie. Related: Danieal Manning, Shiloh Keo
Source: Drew Dougherty on Twitter

Oct 17 - 3:19 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jordan Poyer - DB - Free Agent

Eagles waived CB Jordan Poyer.

A seventh-round pick, Poyer had been relegated to special teams the last five weeks after playing 17 defensive snaps in the season opener. The Eagles were considering moving him to safety prior to his release and will re-sign him to the practice squad if he clears waivers.

Oct 19 - 1:28 PM